3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

OEM Roof Rack Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:26 AM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviiixm
I recommend Rhino rack removable cross bars. I've used them for the last three years on my 2013 R/T with a cargo box. They have only been used with the roof box for road trips and vacations. They are easy to install/ remove and the wind noise is minimal. I plan on trading my Durango next month, so they are available if you are interested.
xviiixm

With the cross bars so far forward does this make attaching a roof box so far forward to make it impractical? I have to look at some pics online.

The reason I like roof rails:
I believe they can offer a sturdier base to attach cross rails.
They seem to allow for mounting roof boxes further back maybe improving air flow wind noise
Attaching cross bars to my roof allows for possible marks scratches to my paint.

I get it. Attaching roof rails opens a can of worms. I do have a hitch bike rack and hitch platform. I would also like the added flexibility to mount stuff to my roof (like most other SUVs). I bought my DD to move people. So with 6 people in the DD there isn't ,uch room to pack luggage. If I had a Suburban there would be no issue. Hell I believe even the Suburban has roof rails.

xviiixm Why are you selling your DD? Do you dislike it? What are you looking forward to getting to replace the DD?

Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 PM
xviiixm

"Why are you selling your DD? Do you dislike it? What are you looking forward to getting to replace the DD?"

I do like the Dodge, it is an excellent family hauler, great for long trips and it has held and towed everything I've asked it to, but the transmission shifting characteristics are driving me nuts and dare I say it, sound of the V8 is getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe I'm just getting old. I've really never experienced competent service through four different dealers and there have been a handful of minor quibbles that have not been resolved since I ordered it. Other than that, it is the best vehicle I've owned so far.

I've been waiting patiently for years for an LR4; it is finally within my means. I need the seven seats; other than the Durango, Volvo XC90 and the Land Rover, there isn't much choice out there that I could live with.

In case you were interested in pics of the Rhino rack on the Dodge, they can be found here: (you might have to copy and paste the link)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ncnqi4jo...I6H4naSsa?dl=0

Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
emaildegreen

When I bought my Durango in 2013, it did not have factory rails but the dealer said they could install them (to make the sale) and even gave me a "We Owe" slip. Long story short, the service manager refused to install them due to the air bags.

Quick Reply: OEM Roof Rack Question