3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

My thoughts about my new/used 2015 R/T Durango

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:27 PM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts about my new/used 2015 R/T Durango

Yes I'm giddy. Amazing vehicle. Have always loved Mopar since my early days. My favorite Muscle Car - 1968 Dodge Charger. Wouldn't mind a 1968 Super Bee either. Owned two Jeep Wranglers, one Dodge Neon (please do not laugh - though that car was fast and economical) and just recently Nissan Xterra (great vehicle - loved it - gave me 192K miles). I traded in the Xterra for my DD R/T. Looking at what was out there in the market place I believe DD are the best value with the coolest looks. Better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hate the Japanese SUVs (besides the Xterra). Never bothered with the Ford's, though the Explorer does look nice. Looked at the pricing of the Tahoes and Yukons. Seemed like good off-roaders - though too expensive. I seemed to have gotten a good price on used Durango with 21K on it. It's fully loaded - all black, blackout package plus black badges.

Okay I have some thoughts/questions regarding the DD:
1) I have the adaptive cruise control and front collision detection. I tried the ACC this morning. It is really cool. Will change speed or increase speed based upon a set distance. Will apply breaks, and stop. If the car in front of you picks up speed from a stop within 2 seconds ACC will increase speed accordingly. Pretty cool. Used my CC on my Xterra, but would always have to tap the breaks when the car in front of me decides to tap his for no reason. I would then have to hit resume. Tap break, resume, repeat.
2) Do not know how to test the collision detection option. Too afraid to speed into another car. Have to believe it works!!!.
3) I was poking around my 8.4NAV settings and found - rotate rear side mirrors down during reverse. This is awesome. Sometimes backing out of a driveway or parking space it's nice to see directly next to the vehicle. I remember someone bragging about this option on their 80K luxury sedan.
4) I'm a little worried about ground clearance. My Xterra was way up there! I liked crawling under my Xterra to change my oil, and change Shocks. Now I do not believe I can do this on my DD.
5) I have lane warning/collision detection during lane change. Nice!
6) I wish there was a factory option to install roof rails on my R/T. Have yet to find a good solution.
7) Nit picky - there should be at least an additional USB port up front. One that is charge only.

Questions:
1) I read in the manual the backup sensors will warn you that they are dirty/blocked during bad weather. Does anyone know if this is the case with the front facing camera?? I'm think impacted snow. Happens a lot in PA.
2) I had a setting to turn on my heated seats/wheel on auto start from key fob. Worked the first time (temp below 40). Though today they did not turn on with autostart (temp above 40). Do they only come on automatically at a certain temp (i.e. below 40)?
3) Does anyone change their own oil on their DD? Do you have to use Car Ramps, or can you reach the Oil filter crawling under the vehicle? I didn't check this, but I have a bad feeling that I have to take this to the Dealership to change oil.
4) I loved the fact I have heated sideview mirrors. I read the manual and it states that these only come on when the rear defroster button is depressed. I have a question regarding auto start. I believe this option should automatically turn on given outside temp readings. If I auto start my vehicle while in my house I would want the heat to come on, seats and wheel heaters on, and defrosters (rear/front and side mirrors) to come on. I think this is not the case. What do you guys think/do? I suppose prior to exiting the vehicle I can turn on rear defroster. Do not know if this stays on during next engine start. Am I way off on these assumptions?

Thanks

Jerry

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 AM
oharag
Rookie

i just had my first blue smoke at startup. Was parked on incline. Checked this morning and no blue smoke though parked on flat. Checked forums and it's a known problem. Everything from installing new oil pan to overfilling oil due to short dip stick. Anyone else having/had this issue, and what did you do?

BTW just laid on the ground in the front of the vehicle to check to see I can reach oil filter. It seems like you can get access to oil plug and oil filter with a long reach. Do not know how easy to use a ratchet or oil filter wrench. Seems like a tight opening plus poor visibility while trying to remove both.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:07 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oharag
Yes I'm giddy. Amazing vehicle. Have always loved Mopar since my early days. My favorite Muscle Car - 1968 Dodge Charger. Wouldn't mind a 1968 Super Bee either. Owned two Jeep Wranglers, one Dodge Neon (please do not laugh - though that car was fast and economical) and just recently Nissan Xterra (great vehicle - loved it - gave me 192K miles). I traded in the Xterra for my DD R/T. Looking at what was out there in the market place I believe DD are the best value with the coolest looks. Better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hate the Japanese SUVs (besides the Xterra). Never bothered with the Ford's, though the Explorer does look nice. Looked at the pricing of the Tahoes and Yukons. Seemed like good off-roaders - though too expensive. I seemed to have gotten a good price on used Durango with 21K on it. It's fully loaded - all black, blackout package plus black badges.

Okay I have some thoughts/questions regarding the DD:
1) I have the adaptive cruise control and front collision detection. I tried the ACC this morning. It is really cool. Will change speed or increase speed based upon a set distance. Will apply breaks, and stop. If the car in front of you picks up speed from a stop within 2 seconds ACC will increase speed accordingly. Pretty cool. Used my CC on my Xterra, but would always have to tap the breaks when the car in front of me decides to tap his for no reason. I would then have to hit resume. Tap break, resume, repeat.
2) Do not know how to test the collision detection option. Too afraid to speed into another car. Have to believe it works!!!.
3) I was poking around my 8.4NAV settings and found - rotate rear side mirrors down during reverse. This is awesome. Sometimes backing out of a driveway or parking space it's nice to see directly next to the vehicle. I remember someone bragging about this option on their 80K luxury sedan.
4) I'm a little worried about ground clearance. My Xterra was way up there! I liked crawling under my Xterra to change my oil, and change Shocks. Now I do not believe I can do this on my DD.
5) I have lane warning/collision detection during lane change. Nice!
6) I wish there was a factory option to install roof rails on my R/T. Have yet to find a good solution.
7) Nit picky - there should be at least an additional USB port up front. One that is charge only.

Questions:
1) I read in the manual the backup sensors will warn you that they are dirty/blocked during bad weather. Does anyone know if this is the case with the front facing camera?? I'm think impacted snow. Happens a lot in PA.

Yes, a message will appear in the EVIC that says something like (sensor needs cleaned) Mine will do it when I drive through my hay field.

2) I had a setting to turn on my heated seats/wheel on auto start from key fob. Worked the first time (temp below 40). Though today they did not turn on with autostart (temp above 40). Do they only come on automatically at a certain temp (i.e. below 40)?

There is a convenience setting, that will turn all mentioned on when you remote start, but it is based off the OAT.

3) Does anyone change their own oil on their DD? Do you have to use Car Ramps, or can you reach the Oil filter crawling under the vehicle? I didn't check this, but I have a bad feeling that I have to take this to the Dealership to change oil.

I have changed mine since the free two years ran out, not that bad at all. I run it up on the ramps and you can get to everything pretty easy. There should be a big plastic "skid plate" under the front, it will look like a door is missing, it is not, there in not one installed on the D's. You DO NOT have to take the skid plate off, but it is a little less messy if you do. The oil will run back it and on the the sub frame. Not a big deal, just takes a little more wiping up.

4) I loved the fact I have heated sideview mirrors. I read the manual and it states that these only come on when the rear defroster button is depressed. I have a question regarding auto start. I believe this option should automatically turn on given outside temp readings. If I auto start my vehicle while in my house I would want the heat to come on, seats and wheel heaters on, and defrosters (rear/front and side mirrors) to come on. I think this is not the case. What do you guys think/do? I suppose prior to exiting the vehicle I can turn on rear defroster. Do not know if this stays on during next engine start. Am I way off on these assumptions?

See #2

Thanks

Jerry
i just had my first blue smoke at startup. Was parked on incline. Checked this morning and no blue smoke though parked on flat. Checked forums and it's a known problem. Everything from installing new oil pan to overfilling oil due to short dip stick. Anyone else having/had this issue, and what did you do?

BTW just laid on the ground in the front of the vehicle to check to see I can reach oil filter. It seems like you can get access to oil plug and oil filter with a long reach. Do not know how easy to use a ratchet or oil filter wrench. Seems like a tight opening plus poor visibility while trying to remove both.
I have not had ANY of the TSB's for the blue smoke done to my R/T (2011) and I did have the blue smoke issue. My driveway is an incline so it was quite often I would get it. Now, I am not sure which one of these fixed it but one of the two (or both combined) did. I have had ZERO blue smoke on startup since I started changing my own oil. I run Mobile 1 Synthetic and I only put 7 quarts in. My dip stick is the correct part number, but 7 quarts does not bring it up to the full mark, but the 7 quart mark has now become my full mark for my reference. If you look at the cross hatch between the "add" and "full" it is about three of those little "X's" below full. I don't know if it the synthetic oil or that I put less in, but no smoke in the last three years of me changing the oil. Oh, BTW congrats on the D, hope you love your as much as I love mine! I replied to your questions up in the body of your post, normally I change the color of the font but I can't on this forum, but they are in there.

Last edited by shelbymopar89; 04-16-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM
oharag
Rookie

I'll bring it up to my dealer. Might as well. Haven't checked my dip stick yet. Since it's used do not know what type of oil is being used. Do you guys do a engine flush if conventional oil is being used before going synthetic?

I don't known if any type of gunk getting into the combustion chamber is a good thing. Check out other forums regarding plenum issues and Hemi. Some of the pics look terrible. I'm surprised this hasn't been addresssed or resolved by now.

One more thing. I was trying to adjust my left side rear view mirror today. It wouldn't budge. It finally broke loose. I have the option to turn the sides downward during reverse. Do not know if this locked up the left. Anyone else with this issue?

Old 04-16-2016, 06:58 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Questions:

Thanks

Jerry
1.) Yep, it will tell you. Only time it's been an issue is in heavy snow where it sticks to the front bumper.
2.) Yep. Come on at outside Temps below certain level. Owners manual specifies exactly.
3.) I use ramps. Oil filter a bitch to get to. I break it loose and then put 1 gallon plastic bag around it and take it the rest of the a way off so it all drops in the bag. Doing otherwise will make a mess.

4.) They will come on automatically when remote starting in cold.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:05 PM
oharag
Rookie

Ok thanks for answers. BTW I have read the user manual through. I download owners manual but it's on my iPad. Not the best way to read a manual.

I realize seats and steering come on at 40 below. Though side mirror stated only when rear defroster is activated. Nowhere did I read that they come on at a specified temp. I will search for this. I believe you. In a way I'm glad it's spring and this isn't something I need to worry about for now.

Not a big fan of ramps. Had a bad episode when I was a teen. Maybe do the dealer oil change for a few to build up repour. Have a few things checked under TSB maybe recall since I do not know what's been done.

Couple more questions:
1) do you guys use fuel injector cleaner at all? Have a bottle vehicle has 21k on it.
2) would you perform an engine flush if conventional oil was being used for 21k miles? I want to go synthetic.
3) anyone who had a tow hitch installed at factory can you tell me if the trailer extension and trailer ball come with vehicle? If so do you know the P/N?

Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I would not. Can't see any reason to. But it probably couldn't hurt anything either.
2) Sounds like a waste of money to flush. JUst switch.
3) It does not come with the extension and ball. YOu need to look at vehicle height vs your trailer height and get one with the proper rise or drop. Available at any hardware store or parts store.

On my '12 the rear defrost and heated seats both came on with remote start when under 40.

Steve

Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 AM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by wi-steve
1) I would not. Can't see any reason to. But it probably couldn't hurt anything either.
2) Sounds like a waste of money to flush. JUst switch.
3) It does not come with the extension and ball. YOu need to look at vehicle height vs your trailer height and get one with the proper rise or drop. Available at any hardware store or parts store.

On my '12 the rear defrost and heated seats both came on with remote start when under 40.

Steve
The reason I asked about the trailer hitch ext was when test driving a brand new Durango I opened the rear storage compartment and there was a brown box with a hitch extension in there.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Crankshaft57
Rookie

Shelby, I have the same dipstick that you have on my 2012 Crew 5.7.

Auggie

Quick Reply: My thoughts about my new/used 2015 R/T Durango