3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

AWD sucks in snow?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:22 AM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD sucks in snow?????

This is the first time I drove in the snow with my 2015 DD R/T. I can say it was not fun. So I started out in AWD Auto (High) with Traction Control On. The snow was 2-3 inches. There were ruts in the road that was somewhat cleared. I do not know if there was black ice underneath snow. All I can say I nearly swerved off the road a number of times. The DD would start to oscillate side to side if I hit any snow. It was scary. This happened a number of times. I nearly went sideways. Also the ABS braking was terrible in the snow.

I finally switched over to AWD Low. First thing I noticed was Traction Control was automatically turned OFF. I feel this is counter intuitive.

I used to drive a 4X4 Xterra - never has these issues.

So is AWD Auto terrible in the snow? Should traction always be turned off in snow? Do I always have to run AWD Low to feel safe in the snow? What is everyone elses experience?

A side not/question:
- Recently when I turn on the auto defrost for the front window I've been smelling a burning/pungent smell. Anyone else have smellc coming out of their vents??

Old 02-09-2017, 11:44 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most vehicles turn off traction control in low range, some can be turned back on, not sure about yours. The AWD system in these vehicles is a very good system, I would hazard to guess that your biggest issue is one or both of the following. (A) TIRES, you would not believe the difference a good snow tire (Blizzak) can make in the way a vehicle performs in the snow. (B) Driving style, I have no idea your experience in driving in snow. You may not be one of them, but there are MANY people that think since they are in an AWD vehicle they are heroes. There is still a "finesse" while driving in snow, a learning curve if you will on the way your vehicle/tires handle throttle application, steering input (both on and off throttle), and braking. The biggest overconfidence issue that I have seen is stopping. Just because you can get up to speed in poor conditions, does not mean you can stop! Even with ABS, and the best tires available you are still trying to stop a 2 1/2 ton vehicle. Not an easy task with slick road conditions, add a summer tire, or all season and it gets worse. If winter tires are not an affordable option for you I recommend you find a big open parking lot if you are not familiar with your vehicle and how it behaves in the snow. Go play in an open area and find out how it reacts to what I mentioned above. See what your stopping distance is in those conditions and use that as a base knowledge on how fast you can drive under the given conditions, how close you can follow to allow sufficient braking distance, and in general, how your vehicle reacts to throttle and braking applications. It is also a hoot of fun!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:06 PM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had an issue with the AWD in my 2012 R/T, traction has been good in snow, not great, but good enough to get around. I also was not driving fast, my driving speeds were always way below the posted speed limits on the roads that I was traveling on. Just because you have an AWD system or even a 4X4 system on your vehicle, doesn't mean you can get from point A to point B. Both drive train systems are still subject to the road conditions whether it's rain, snow or ice on the roads you are tempting to drive on. You can still get stuck or slip and slide on those roads. Even with the right snow tire or studded tire and snow chains.

Last edited by usmc1811; 02-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 2015 RT. The OEM Goodyear Fortera tires that most likely came with the vehicle are great on dry pavement, but terrible in snow after 20,000 miles. Tires make a world of difference. My observation is that even though they appear to have plenty of tread left; they would plow into a turn especially in wet snow, and hydroplane in a minimal amount of water.

I only use the low gear except for pulling my camper up a rocky trail. I believe it locks up the center differential, and I don't think lower gearing has any benefit in snow. I believe it's more for low speed pulling and control at those low speeds.

Last edited by wi-steve; 02-09-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Less pressure on the go pedal and DEFINITELY better tires than the stock Forteras.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing works on ice, except an ice pick and chains. There are just some laws of physics you can't overcome.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:22 PM
GDM
Professional

Put snow tires on and report back on your experience. You most likely will be saying that AWD is awesome in the snow, suggesting that the AWD system is not the problem.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur

We can all benefit from increasing friction with chains, good tires, spikes etc...

That said, I'm going on cough-mumble-cough (many) years of New England driving coupled with a skiing obsession and a mountain retreat in the heart of snow country in NH. I've spent many a drive from my primary residence in MA in weather not fit for man nor beast in Jeeps and for the past 6 years in a 2012 Durango...most-recently for the past couple months in my new 2017 Durango. As vehicles, the AWD D's are extremely capable even without the aforementioned friction-reducing devices (I've never used chains or spikes but do insist on tires with plenty tread - balancing ride/sound/traction like we all do to varying degrees when we change over tires). I also insist on "playing" a little bit in a snowy parking lot to get the feel for every new vehicle I drive.

Perhaps most-telling, I trust my young family to the D. Like it or not, we make those weekly drives up North and home sometimes in weather in which we'd rather not be driving....but my co-captain on those trips and I both feel secure in knowing the D is a more than capable transport for our chosen lifestyle.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Works fine for me in the Sierras in California. But I also put on some new tires rated for snow. Only 5,000 miles or so on this set so far.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the tires. AWD helps you with the go, but not the whoa (as in stopping). AWD also helps (to a degree) with turning. Other than that, it doesn't offer much. No system will. It's about keeping you from getting stuck and spinning out on acceleration. That's it. With a hemi especially, throttle moderation is key in snow. Be light with it. The Durango system is not a 50/50 system or like a 4x4 system where it can send all power to any wheel individually. It's still rear wheel drive biased and you'll discover that if you step on the gas in a turn.

AWD low should only be used at slow speed (under 25 mph). Traction control turns off in heavy snow to help get unstuck. If the truck gets stuck, hitting gas with TCS on will actually power down and not let you get power to spin the wheels. If stuck, this means you'll stay stuck. Turning it off allows you to spin the rear wheels until they get traction so you can get unstuck. If you were in low setting, the truck thinks you needed the locked transfer case so you could get unstuck, hence the reason it defaults to no tcs.

TCS and ESC is great at lowering throttle and power to keep the wheels from spinning in low traction instances (keeping the *** end from coming around and/or assisting in getting it back behind you), but it actually hinders the ability to get unstuck.