3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Police package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Police package?

Is there really a Police Package option for DDs from the factory? It appears to be an SXT with a Hemi. The pix show a 2016 with AWD, cloth interior, 5-inch radio screen, no badging on the rear, and duals for the Hemi. What else should the PP option have on it?
Its for sale at Papa's Dodge in New Britain, CT.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:16 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Durango Special Service

Originally Posted by Orin500XL

Is there really a Police Package option for DDs from the factory? It appears to be an SXT with a Hemi. The pix show a 2016 with AWD, cloth interior, 5-inch radio screen, no badging on the rear, and duals for the Hemi. What else should the PP option have on it?
Its for sale at Papa's Dodge in New Britain, CT.
Here are the details on the 2017 versions: https://www.fcausfleet.com/dodge/dur...fications.html

In a nutshell, heavy on performance and handling hardware, light on luxury. From the web site:

The demands of police, fire and rescue work require a vehicle with exceptional maneuverability, power and fuel
economy, and Dodge Durango Special Service is ready for duty. It arrives on the scene with a choice of two capable
engines
—the award-winning 3.6 liter Pentastar
®
V6, standard, and the available legendary 5.7-liter HEMI
®
V8, both paired
to the fuel-friendly 8-speed transmission. Count on abundant special features and notable improvements from the civilian
version, including a battery upgraded to 800 amps, heavy-duty front and rear brakes, a heavy-duty oil cooler and water
pump, invaluable automatic Tri-Zone temperature control to keep K9 units comfortable—plus a full list of standard and
available safety and security features. This SUV earns its stripes with impressive numbers all around: up to 26 mpg hwy,
(1)
84 cu-ft of cargo volume, towing up to 7,400 lb
with the HEMI engine (and up to 6,200 lb
with the Pentastar engine).
They all add up to complete capability for the toughest assignments—the foundation of Durango Special Service

Law enforcement around here seems to prefer Explorers though, I don't know that I have ever seen a Durango cruiser in use.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 PM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police package

The Union Pacific RR police use DD police cars.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:00 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:14 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

We have some in my agency. Marked and unmarked. I would never dream of using one off road though.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 PM
roogie
Rookie

Atchison County (Kansas) and another local agency (in Missouri) has several. Not sure what brand LED light bars they used on the unnamed agency (logo is too small for me to decipher at highway speeds) but they are not bright like the Atchison County ones are.

roog

Old 12-20-2017, 09:34 PM
roogie
Rookie

Kansas Highway Patrol Command Staff tried them.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 AM
coldsteel
Captain

If you've ever watched LivePD - the Utah Highway Patrol uses them:

Tyler Texas:

Marketed as the SSV:

Old 12-25-2017, 12:09 AM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Ran into an agent the other day driving one. He couldn't respond to back me up on a dirt two track because of the Durango. I love my personal RT but these don't belong anywhere near dirt. If your agency stays on pavement then ok but the 3rd gen Durango is not a capable off-road vehicle.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:32 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
Ran into an agent the other day driving one. He couldn't respond to back me up on a dirt two track because of the Durango. I love my personal RT but these don't belong anywhere near dirt. If your agency stays on pavement then ok but the 3rd gen Durango is not a capable off-road vehicle.
The police models are not R/Ts so they don't have the lower body work and lowered suspension. They are generally AWD unless you opt for RWD. They have skid-plates so there is very little to be harmed. Unless we're talking way out in the boonies where a standard patrol vehicle (Crown Vic, Interceptor sedan/utility, Charger) can't go anyway, then I'm not sure I understand the issue. It's true that in some places a pickup truck or Tahoe-like vehicle is needed, but for the trade-off, they are least usable in patrol due to poorer handling characteristics and poorer fuel economy.