3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Here We Go Again..DDRT'12 not starting..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM
PortAuthorityCop
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here We Go Again..DDRT'12 not starting..

Brought her in maybe 2 yrs ago for the whole fuel pump relay TSB. Knock on wood have not had issue since. Now within past 2 weeks truck has the classic cranking sound but not turning over. Popped fob into the ignition and it started but quickly sound like the truck was under water and ready to stall. Got out and used the auto start on fob and she fired up. Dealer says computer gave a code that key fob battery is low and faulty communication. Ok changed battery and did it again this weekend, wifey stuck at the bank with same issue for 20mins until she got it started. Now I use the spare fob today at my oil change place. My tech tells me same thing happened on start up and he also got a key fob code. Saying it's a safety feature where the truck is not sure it's suppose to be starting so not sending enough fuel for full ignition. The communication between the key and trucks computer are having a disconnect. Without referring to the old TIPM thread has anyone else run into this with fob issues? These things going bad?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM
jsawhite
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PortAuthorityCop
Brought her in maybe 2 yrs ago for the whole fuel pump relay TSB. Knock on wood have not had issue since. Now within past 2 weeks truck has the classic cranking sound but not turning over. Popped fob into the ignition and it started but quickly sound like the truck was under water and ready to stall. Got out and used the auto start on fob and she fired up. Dealer says computer gave a code that key fob battery is low and faulty communication. Ok changed battery and did it again this weekend, wifey stuck at the bank with same issue for 20mins until she got it started. Now I use the spare fob today at my oil change place. My tech tells me same thing happened on start up and he also got a key fob code. Saying it's a safety feature where the truck is not sure it's suppose to be starting so not sending enough fuel for full ignition. The communication between the key and trucks computer are having a disconnect. Without referring to the old TIPM thread has anyone else run into this with fob issues? These things going bad?
Not hat a fob issue, but I did have to replace the fuel pump relay that was put in place for the recall. The one the dealer installed went bad and we started having issues starting our 13 RT (would sometimes just turn over and never start, other times start but sputter). Replaced the relay and haven't had an issue since. Easy swap and relay was about $15 (on mine at least, the relay plugs into a harness near the fuse box)...

Here's the thread I started on it:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-not-tipm.html

Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Waynead
Veteran

My '12 Citadel has always had starting problems. Every once in a while it will stall and if you try to restart it just cranks and never catches until you shut it off. Then it will restart just fine. When it first stalls, if you shut it off it will then also restart. It happens intermittently, sometimes not for months.

I've never been able to find the the problem, nor has the dealer. It has never thrown a code.

I've alway suspected it was a bug in the security system- it thinks it was an unauthorized start and won't let it.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Claus Graf
Rookie
Old 07-21-2017, 07:11 AM
PortAuthorityCop
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback all. It turns out that R09 recall for Fuel pump relay had to be re done. This was performed Wednesday and so far so good. Fingers crossed no more aggravation. 🙏🏼

Old 08-27-2017, 03:20 PM
Waynead
Veteran

Originally Posted by PortAuthorityCop
It turns out that R09 recall for Fuel pump relay had to be re done.
Is there a recall on the relays they added in the previous recall? Or did yours just fail? Did they charge you for the replacement?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 AM
PortAuthorityCop
Rookie

I was just told the R09 recall needed to be re done do to failure. Had a convo with tech regarding it and he said a lot of people were running into same issue. They replaced it free of charge, and knock on wood I have had no start up issues since.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Waynead
Veteran

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 AM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Do yourselves a favor and go to a newer model. I went from a 2013 to a 17 and its night and day. Tranny is much better and no more issues with that stupid tipm

Old 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's only money. :)

Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
Do yourselves a favor and go to a newer model. I went from a 2013 to a 17 and its night and day. Tranny is much better and no more issues with that stupid tipm

Just waiting for the 2018 DD models to start showing up at the dealerships.

Look at, touch and then test drive.