3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Time to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Double_D
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to upgrade?

About to hit 4 years and about 55K miles and wondering if its time to trade in. I definitely got lucky on my DD as its been super rock solid. Not a single issue. Hell the brakes are still original and dealer plus my normal mechanic say they are still in a great shape. Tires is the only thing I've had to replace. As solid as it has been I don't think I really want to keep it to 100K+ miles. So if I want to trade it in now is the time I think.

Not sure how I feel about replacing it with basically the same vehicle though. I think I would change from RWD V6 Citadel to AWD RT this time. Maybe change the color up. Just not sure if that will feel different enough so it doesn't seem like I'm driving the same vehicle another 4+ years. What do you guys think?

I can't see pushing up to an SRT. I rarely push over 80 on 75 limits. The only other vehicle that's even come close to catching my eye is the new Expedition which I would want the fully loaded Platinum but for that price it still seems lacking on interior quality.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded from a 2012 V6 to a 2015 RT model a few years back. Difference was night and day. However I recently rented a 2017 V6 model while traveling for work (and put 2500 miles on it in one week). I have to admit that the V6 mated to the newer transmission is a LOT better than the older version. I feel like I lost a lot of money on that trade, so you might want to think long and hard about this. I love my newer RT but i know that financially it was a pretty stupid move.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:02 PM
GDM
Professional

I've got 113,000 miles on my 2011 DD Crew with V6. My wife and I just drove it 1440 miles to our winter home in Florida (from Wisconsin) with the rear cargo fully loaded and two bikes on my hitch mounted bike rack. The vehicle performed flawlessly. I am still on the original brakes, 3rd set of tires, original battery and have done all the standard maintenance to the vehicle as per the maintenance schedule. I did have to replace both front wheel bearings at around 90,000 and the rear main engine bearing seal under warranty. I pull a larger fish and ski boat (I have the tow package). So, I'd keep it if I were you. If you do trade, you will lose money most likely and give the next person a good vehicle (from your description) that will last many years. I plan to keep mine for some time since I need it to pull my boat to various lakes in Wisconsin in the summer.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:28 AM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

I was in a similar situation. Had my 2013 RT with 60k mikes. Owed $17k. Hated the 6 speed transmission and wanted ventilated seats and tech package. Dealership Gabe me $25k for my 13 back in June and got a 17 RT with tow package, sun roof, tech package and blacktop for $38k otd. They added their bs desert package crap so I had them install a 3m clearbra on their dime that I was gonna do anyways. Called it even.

I'm happy with it. The 2017 drives much better. I wanted to keep the 13 for a while but hated the tranny. And the tipm crap was not something I wanted to deal with anymore.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:09 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2012 DD AWD RT bought used in 2014 with 14k miles on it.
Still running great with low miles, just recall work and tires to date. Plus the DD is paid for too.

I have been pricing and looking at the 2018 DD's the GT,RT and SRT.
And I'm fighting the "buy a new vehicle" bug.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:57 PM
Double_D
Amateur

I'm paid off, wouldn't consider it otherwise. You got one hell of a deal hellomoto_25. 25k trade in, not sure my dealer would even give me that much on mine or a loaded RT for the price you got yours.
Lower mileage and having to run higher grade fuel is definitely a big neg. I have the tow package and tow 2 big Jet Ski's during the summer. The V6 gets the job on surface streets just fine which I often take just to avoid the highway as 60 is about all she will do.

Question is if I do keep it another 3-4 years, what I loose in depreciation and possible repairs\maint more than car payment.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:58 AM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Oh, and the noticeable switching between cylinders that I felt every time in the 13 is gone in the 17. There are numerous improvements with the 17 over the 13. I keep remembering things that I hated about the 13.

But I loved the front end of the 13. The only thing I miss. Wish I could have the front of the 18 though. Wasn't gonna get my price on one of those.

Love the rear of the 17.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing i liked better on the older ones was the HVAC controls. I liked the separate display without the need for the touch screen. Also the current location for seat heater controls on the touch screen without an actual physical control is just obnoxious.

But that new transmission is SOOOOOOO much better.

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade?