3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Life

How long should you expect the battery to last? I have a 2014 Durango and wondering if I should replace the battery yet. No issues at this time. What kind of life did other members get?

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:59 AM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=TNDurangoNow;3402395]
How long should you expect the battery to last? I have a 2014 Durango and wondering if I should replace the battery yet. No issues at this time. What kind of life did other members get?

Thanks.

Battery life is dependent on the climate where it operates. In areas where climate is extreme - Arizona and Canada - battery life will be reduced due to the extreme temperatures. One thing to watch is when there is a slight pause or hesitation during starting; that's one of the first signals that the battery is getting weak. You may want to also Google about the life expectancy of these batteries; I believe the battery the Durango uses is a gel type (due to its location in the passenger cabin).

Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Waynead
Veteran

My '12 is still fine. But I'm thinking it could go any day.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I put a new battery in my truck when I bought it. (96 ram, purchased in 2010.) It was still working perfectly fine in 2017 when I purchased my current truck. (which also ended up getting a new battery......) I suspect it would still be going strong if I drove the truck every day... but, it say outside in a michigan winter, discharged, froze, and that was all she wrote.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 PM
GDM
Professional

I'm original owner to a 2011 DD Crew with 120,000 miles and have the original battery and no indication of failure. I am told these gel batteries have a longer life expectancy than the lead acid type.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

General rule of thumb is 5 years for a lead/acid but there are a lot of factors that go into it. If you suspect you battery is weak have it load tested.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i have always been told that lead acid batteries have an average lifespan of 4 years, i still run mine until they dont crank in the morning, however your personal driving habits will have an effect on the life too, lead acid batteries like to be fully charged, so longer drives will help the battery last longer because they get fully charged up each time they are drained (the car is started) if you have a 10 minute commute that wont always be the case.

Perfect example, growing up my mom had an 02 durango which she drove 4 miles each way to work every day, that got a new battery every 4 years, almost to the day. My dad, at the same time had an 03 dakota (basically the same truck) and he drove it for 8 years with the factory battery in it(then traded it in on his 09, which i believe still has the factory battery, but i dont live home anymore to be certain of this), his drive is 30+ miles one way to work.

i also personally believe (i have no evidence) that a battery installed inside the cabin is insulated from some of the harshest conditions and will last longer than one installed in the engine bay, if your worried about getting stuck, the <$100 for piece of mind to change it every 4 years is not a horrible cost, but i just carry a set of jumper cables and a jumper pack (one of those small lithium ion ones) in my cars. The wife gets a new battery every 4 years because that small cost is worth it to me to not have to hear the complaints about her car not starting

Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur

Thanks for all the input guys!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM
superpete

Here is the battery location and removal tutorial I made, hope it helps when you need it.

Quick Reply: Battery Life