3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

High Beams not working at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 AM
fmellero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beams not working at all

2012 Durango Citadel 3.6L
I had both Driver & Passenger high beams and the Driver's HID low-beam go out last week. I replaced the Driver HID low-beam successfully and that now works. Though, high beams are still not coming on. Replaced bulbs - no joy. Coincidentally, I found that the fog lamps were not connected upon inspection - dealer disconnected for other maintenance - reconnected both and those are now working, though brights (high beams) are not. I checked voltage at the connectors and seeing 3.5 volts when brights are off as well as when brights are tripped from multi-function stalk. High Beam indicator light comes on the dash when brights are tripped via stalk.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:11 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check for a high beam relay. if the voltage at the connector is the same for hi on and hi off i would be thinking something in the control circuit, relay is the easiest to check for.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM
fmellero

Thanks shrpshtr325. I was thinking along those same lines. The HID lamps are on their own circuit, I believe, so having a relay for just the high beams makes sense to me. The TIPM map under the box cover does not point out any headlamp fuses/relays, unless I am completely missing it. I've been hunting for it but coming up empty - any suggestions on where it might be located?

Old 09-06-2018, 01:06 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I can gather looking at the rather cryptic factory wiring diagram, the high beam headlights are controlled via the TIPM and there is no accessible relay for the high beam headlights. It's not even very clear which fuse would be associated with the headlights. The best I can tell is the associated fuse is likely to be either fuse M34 (10 amp) or fuse M14 (20 amp). Those are the only 2 fuses that show up on the headlight wiring diagram.

-Rod

Old 09-06-2018, 01:16 PM
fmellero

Thanks Rod - I will def check both of those. I think I've seen the same wiring diagram you refer to and you're right about those two fuses being in the schematic. I'm also going to check the M22 and M23 fuses, which are listed as "Horns (Low/High) - Right" and "Horns (Low/High) - Left", respectively. I can't imagine that I have 4 actual horn settings, which led me to wonder if they are referring to these as the "optical horns" (aka, flashing your brights.) Will check these and report back to the thread later tonight.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:39 PM
fmellero

Unfortunately, all fuses mentioned above show to be fine. The hunt continues.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

There are two tones per horn, a high tone and a low tone. And from what I've seen on other FCA products there likely are horns on both the left side and the right side of the vehicle in front of the radiator.

-Rod

Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM
RTBLK
Default High beam

Did you change the lights yourself?

Quick Reply: High Beams not working at all