D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is my window sticker Partial Options

Old 01-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DaveB77, D3-Blk-Hemi beat me to the build sheet link you need to use. Your build sheet is what's actually on the vehicle, a window sticker is not accurate and they vary a lot for whatever reason. For example, while your's has a mention of a spare, my window sticker says nothing about any spare wheel/tire at all. The mention of the full size spare on yours is the stock vehicle equipment, it is a steel wheel that will NOT clear your front Brembo brakes that are part of the tow-n-go package. That's why the tow-n-go package (as listed on the Dodge vehicle website) includes and requires the change to the aluminum 20" wheel. The build sheet is the final say of what the vehicle was equipped with.

Last edited by Norge; 01-06-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:54 PM
DaveB77

Thanks D3..
I had filled out a request on a dodge site for the build sheet. Using the link you provided, here is the pertinent section (below).
Why would they delete the spare? Dealer said his system showed a 'delete spare'. I guess this was from the same build sheet. Who do I press this issue with?

Last edited by DaveB77; 01-06-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:30 PM
Norge
Professional

DaveB77, I've looked at the packages and there is a weird thing with the model '23 Tow N Go package (even though they still don't list the build a vehicle for the 2023 models on their site) Looks like they're getting rid of the spare on the 2023 TnG. This link about the 2023 models lists the packages and for the Tow N Go it states that Delete Spare Tire information:
2023 Durango Specs and Trims: https://carbuzz.com/cars/dodge/durango/specs-and-trims

While the 2022 Tow N Go package should still consist of the aluminum spare wheel:
2022 Durango Specs and Trims: https://carbuzz.com/cars/dodge/duran...pecs-and-trims

You stated it is a 2022 model, so it should have been the 2022 Tow N Go package options, but looks like the 2023 Tow N Go package options were loaded to the build sheet. Doesn't leave much room for debating as that's what the build sheet lists, which admittedly is crap. The only thing to press really at the dealer is why the 2022 Tow N Go package, as listed on the Dodge build a vehicle site and matches the exact cost of the package as your window sticker lists, wasn't fully included. Unfortunately, they can default to the build sheet and say it wasn't part of the vehicle as built/sold.

Last edited by Norge; 01-06-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:46 PM
DaveB77

Thanks Norge! Your explanation and links were a big help. Granted the build sheet is the definitive statement. The dealer said he would give me a spare, but I need a way to store it. The cable mechanism is missing too. I may press the issue on why a 2022 was built to 2023 specs, and see what they say.
I do not want to be stuck buying run flats for the life of the vehicle.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:06 PM
Norge
Professional

With the spare the dealer's willing to provide, try to get the aluminum spare. If they give you the basic full size spare with the steel wheel, it'll only fit on the rears, though you'll want to double check that before you actually need it. The steel wheel spare definitely does not fit the fronts! That means if you ever get a front flat you have to put the spare on the rear and move the rear regular wheel up to the front.

For the spare stowage winch, that is something that can be bought and installed. You'll want to confirm fitment, but here's an example of the winch part itself: https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/oe...ist-68145504ad

Old 02-01-2023, 09:26 PM
sezwho
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my understanding, from research getting a donut spare for my dodge charger rt, that the spare tire delete is the result of the red brembo brake option. The spare tire donuts won't fit around the red brembo brakes. The red brembo brakes have 2 more pistons more than the black brembo brake option so while the black brembos will work w/ a donut spare, the red brembos will not. That's my takeaway.

From my read, in 2023 you can only get the 2023 Durango RT tow and go package w/ upgraded red brembo brakes.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:18 AM
Norge
Professional

Originally Posted by sezwho
It is my understanding, from research getting a donut spare for my dodge charger rt, that the spare tire delete is the result of the red brembo brake option. The spare tire donuts won't fit around the red brembo brakes. The red brembo brakes have 2 more pistons more than the black brembo brake option so while the black brembos will work w/ a donut spare, the red brembos will not. That's my takeaway.

From my read, in 2023 you can only get the 2023 Durango RT tow and go package w/ upgraded red brembo brakes.
For the Durango, there WERE three spares tire types. The basic spare, which is a compact spare 18" x 4.5" steel wheel. It used to be, if you got the tow package on a non-brembo equipped model, you got the "full size" 18" x 8" steel wheel. Both of these wheel will not fit over the front Brembos. Until recently, the TnG/SRT Brembo and tow equipped models received a "compact" 20" x 6.5" aluminum spare specifically designed to fit over the front Brembos. The terms full size vs compact refer to the spare width, not the diameter. As of the 2023 packages (as is this discussion and many others are finding out, late production 2022 models), the aluminum spare and all associated spare tire equipment (stowage hoist/winch, tire change tools/equipment) have been removed. Of course, in the case of the Tow N Go package, all that equipment has been removed and the package cost went up.

Last edited by Norge; 02-02-2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:55 PM
DaveB77

I have an update, and closure to my situation.
First, Dodge/Chrysler Customer Care was worthless. The agent said it was my fault for not asking for the build sheet (I honestly did not know they existed). And that the dealer should have known his inventory, that the salesman was probably new (20 years selling cars for the saleman, owner has decades more experience). Customer Care could not explain why it was built without the spare that was indicated in the tow n go package (swap from full size to compact spare). I informed the owner of the dealership. He said he talked to his reps at Chrysler and they were of little help. The explanation he received is that yes, the vehicle should have a compact spare, but on the day of the build, there were no spares in inventory, so they deleted it (along with the winch, jack, and wrench). And since the build sheet said it wasn't there, that was it. Factory saw no reason to do anything. Salesman said he is seeing hearing what Norge said - spares and such are being pulled and cannot even be ordered. He thought there may be a push for drivers to be reliant on the roadside service plans.
The dealer has been awesome on this. I drove 2 hours today and they installed the winch, a new spare tire on a gently used ? rim (seems to be a little oxidation on the rim) and gave me a new jack and wrench at no cost to me. I specifically asked if it was the 'compact' spare and service agent checked and said it was. The spare is a GoodYear Convenience Spare T175/90D18

So I have a spare of some size. From Norge's feedback, it may not be the optimal compact 20" x 6.5". Worst case for a flat on the front is I have to move a rear tire to front, and put spare on the rear. I can live with that. Sounds like any spare is becoming a thing of the past.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and advice to a noob (in so many things).

The following users liked this post:
Norge (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 07:08 AM
Norge
Professional

Originally Posted by DaveB77
So I have a spare of some size. ... it may not be the optimal compact 20" x 6.5"
If you're wanting the correct spare, keep an eye on ebay, they pop up time to time from a part out or those who don't want the spare and it's weight. There's one on the now, that with shipping, is around $800 for the wheel and tire combo. That one comes up from searching the wheel's part number 68363402AB.

Quick Reply: No Spare with Tow n Go pkg?