3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

No Spare with Tow n Go pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 04:24 PM
DaveB77
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Spare with Tow n Go pkg?

Hi, I just bought a 2022 Durango R/T AWD, 5.7 L Hemi to pull a new travel trailer,. It has standard features plus the tow n go package. Part of the tow n go is a substitution to use Pirelli Verde Zero run flat tires. The tire inflation sticker indicates no spare. I confirm that there is no spare, no jack, no lung wrench no spare hoist mechanism. The vehicle was bought from a dealer several hours away (based on where I could find the color and minimal options I desired). My question is why no spare and more importantly why no jack, etc.??
Speaking with the dealer, he did not have a clear answer and did not have another comparable Durango to check. He surmised that the tow n go package does not allow enough space to mount the spare under the rear. Doing some simple measurements seems to bear this out. The bar behind the rear bumper with the hitch receiver looks like it would interfere with the full size spare. The dealer is going to send me a jack and wrench, but I am a little bummed about knowing that I will have to use run flats while I own the vehicle. I have never used run flats before but I am concerned that my options are severely limited if something happens.
Can anyone confirm that the tow n go package prevents carrying a spare or is this something else?

Thanks!
Dave
2022 Durango R/T AWD 5.7L
Tow-N-Go package

Old 01-05-2023, 08:37 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I speak with minimal knowledge on the 2022. What is considered the tow n go pkg? Factory install receiver hitch?

I have a 2015 Citadel , purchased used so no idea what "options" were ordered but it did have a tow prep as I bought a hidden receiver the bolted behind the bumper facia and the lighting plug was hanging under the back of the car I just had to buy the outlet that plugs into it and turn on the features in the modules.

We have a fuel size spare carried inside the vehicle under the cargo area floor. Not suspended under the back. Is this something that's changed by 2022?

Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 PM
DaveB77
Default what's in the tow n go

The tow n go package contains several components to improve performance: specific drive modes for tow, sport, track, snow as well as Brembo brakes, improved suspension, quadra trac on demand 4wd and a class IV receiver-hitch and a trailer brake controller. The suggested reason for no spare or even a jack is that the bar that is behind the plastic bumper contains the square receiver for the hitch, and that blocks some of the area needed for the spare. On the Pirelli 205/45ZR20 tires, I measure about 31 inches diameter, so 15.5 inches from the center of the tire is needed to mount it in the space underneath the cargo area. Measuring from the hole where the cable hoist is (that holds the spare if it's there), I only see about 13 inches clearance to the bumper -- the hitch part of the tow n go is in the way. If the square shaft that is part of the ball hitch sticks out the back of the receiver, that too would be an obstruction. I guess Dodge's answer is to put run flat tires on the beast nand pull the spare, jack, and hoist mechanism. The tire inflation sticker notes 'N/A ' or 'none' for spare inflation. So it was planned. There is no room to throw the spare in the cargo area behind the third row seat. The design is that it mounts under the rear. And you cannot repair a Pirelli run flat. With a loss of inflation, you can drive it for 50 miles, , then you need to replace it. Currently they seem to run about $550 apiece.
Under standard equipment, it says there is a full sized spare. But it does not indicate the package addition removes the spare, just that the optional equipment (the tow n go) may replace standard equipment. Dealer said upon inspection, his system indicates the spare is/was removed but no reason listed. I was hoping someone else encountered this and knew it up front or had a definitive explanation for why.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:26 AM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2022 R/T+ with Tow -n- Go package has a full size spare tire with a scissor jack and lug wrench. I bought mine in April of 2022. Did they make a change recently to eliminate.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:20 AM
DaveB77

Thanks D3-Blk-Hemi, that is what I was looking for. The dealership manager said he would give me spare, but he suspected it would not fit. ( He was unaware of the removal of all things associated with the spare).
I assume your spare mounts under the rear?
And is your R/T+ AWD / WD? (Don't know if the transmission interfers...)

Old 01-06-2023, 01:34 PM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional

Originally Posted by DaveB77
Thanks D3-Blk-Hemi, that is what I was looking for. The dealership manager said he would give me spare, but he suspected it would not fit. ( He was unaware of the removal of all things associated with the spare).
I assume your spare mounts under the rear?
And is your R/T+ AWD / WD? (Don't know if the transmission interfers...)
I have AWD on the R/T+. Tow -n- Go is only available on AWD for the R/T or R/T+

Old 01-06-2023, 03:37 PM
DaveB77

Thanks. I see there is also a 'shroud' surrounding the spare.
Here's what I got:

Rear bumper is at the top of photo. wiring loom that runs across feeds the trailer connection.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Norge
Professional

The Tow and Go does indeed include a spare wheel/tire! It's part of the package for an aluminum 20x6.5 spare wheel and compact spare tire. Btw, a lot express concern regarding the "compact spare" term. However, the spare is about full diameter, just not full width. This spare is needed to be like this, one because this aluminum 20" spare wheel has the needed diameter and offset to clear the front brakes, and second to not protrude too far down underneath the vehicle.

The window sticker does NOT state any info about the spare, but the package listing on the Dodge build site and the vehicle build sheet WILL list the spare tire information. Get your build sheet pulled up and check. Hate to say it, if your dealer is guessing what's part of a package (guessing the tow-n-go package doesn't have the room for a spare), that's either a bad dealer not knowing the packages, shady, or both! (Bad knowledge dealers will only refer to the window sticker because they don't know/understand there's a higher detailed build sheet; shady dealer will only refer to the window sticker as they know it doesn't list everything the build sheet does) Here's the website and my window sticker and build sheet to show this:
Window Sticker:

Dodge site package listing and build sheet:

Last edited by Norge; 01-06-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:18 PM
DaveB77

Here's a portion of the window sticker (sorry for how large it appears).
Third item from the top (spare tire) is part of the 'standard equipment ' listing.
Then the options come in. Strange that the spare tire portion of yours vs. min differs. Hmmmm.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:18 PM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional

DaveB77
Use this link to get your full build sheet.
https://fcacommunity.force.com/Dodge...ipment-listing

The following users liked this post:
Norge (01-06-2023)

Quick Reply: No Spare with Tow n Go pkg?