View Poll Results: What CAI do you have or recommend?
K & N
35.66%
Air Raid
11.21%
AEM
3.64%
Mopar
5.24%
Volant
8.59%
Afe
4.66%
True Flow
1.02%
S & B
2.18%
Ram Hammer
1.31%
home made
16.45%
ebay or other (specify in a post)
10.04%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
spuldup
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried 4 intakes over the past 2 years, in addition to stock setup. This is on an 06 5.7 crew cab 4x4. Superchips 91 tune/MDS delete. All with exhaust resonators removed and muffler replaced with 18" magnaflow SI/SO 3" dumped after the rear axle. Since most intakes are similar in 'gains', I'm mostly concerned with the sound. It may seem silly to try 4 intakes just to get the right sound, but I can be picky like that.

1 - Home made using 3 3" long 90 pvc with 3.5" spectre cone filter. Filter was fully behind the pass headlight, pointing downward. Washable cone filter on the crankcase breather. - This setup made an obnoxious bleating noise under more than 30% throttle. Very annoying most of the time. Also droned under light throttle. Sounded nice at idle with the air sucking sound going on.

2 - KN 57-1533 kit (plastic tube one). This was ridiculously loud, droned terribly bad, and actually reduced low-end power noticeably. Also, despite all adjustments, it pressed upward on the hood, making it hard to close. Since I spend 95% of the time under 3000 prm, this was not for me.

3 - Back to homemade - This time keeping the hemi hat and accordion hose mated to 2 PVC 3" 45s connected to the KN filter in it's heat shield. Washable cone filter on the crankcase breather. Same problem with hood closing. I ran this for the longest time because it was a good balance of fit, sound, and did not reduce low-end power. It did drone quite a bit. Mostly you'd notice it when all windows are up on the highway.

4 - Currently (and finally) I run an Airraid Jr kit with their drop-in no-oil filter. This uses the factory airbox, and only replaces the hemi hat and accordion hose. There is no more drone than stock setup, but the low and mid range is actually improved, while adding a really distinct growl. It is almost "poppy" if that makes sense. WOT sounds great.

From my setups I have determined the following:
a - With the huge airbox, excellent intake location, and serviceability -the stock setup is not bad. The accordion hose, IMHO, is more restrictive than the hemi hat.

b - Any open cone filter will cause drone as compared to a closed one. I'd speculate that a cone filter in a box, like the full out airraid, or a volant, would be a great blend of both types.

c - Using the washable cone filter on the crankcase breather, in my case, caused a concerning amount of condensation in the oil filler cap and body in the cooler months here in central Ohio. I would actually wipe it out every week just to reduce the overall moisture in the oil. This baffles me because that is actually a negative pressure zone in operation, as I understand it.

d - There are different strokes for different folks, be sure to try something and don't just listen to what everyone else says.

Hopefully this long winded post helps someone, or at least saves them a few dollars on a given setup.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spuldup
I have tried 4 intakes over the past 2 years, in addition to stock setup. This is on an 06 5.7 crew cab 4x4. Superchips 91 tune/MDS delete. All with exhaust resonators removed and muffler replaced with 18" magnaflow SI/SO 3" dumped after the rear axle. Since most intakes are similar in 'gains', I'm mostly concerned with the sound. It may seem silly to try 4 intakes just to get the right sound, but I can be picky like that.

1 - Home made using 3 3" long 90 pvc with 3.5" spectre cone filter. Filter was fully behind the pass headlight, pointing downward. Washable cone filter on the crankcase breather. - This setup made an obnoxious bleating noise under more than 30% throttle. Very annoying most of the time. Also droned under light throttle. Sounded nice at idle with the air sucking sound going on.

2 - KN 57-1533 kit (plastic tube one). This was ridiculously loud, droned terribly bad, and actually reduced low-end power noticeably. Also, despite all adjustments, it pressed upward on the hood, making it hard to close. Since I spend 95% of the time under 3000 prm, this was not for me.

3 - Back to homemade - This time keeping the hemi hat and accordion hose mated to 2 PVC 3" 45s connected to the KN filter in it's heat shield. Washable cone filter on the crankcase breather. Same problem with hood closing. I ran this for the longest time because it was a good balance of fit, sound, and did not reduce low-end power. It did drone quite a bit. Mostly you'd notice it when all windows are up on the highway.

4 - Currently (and finally) I run an Airraid Jr kit with their drop-in no-oil filter. This uses the factory airbox, and only replaces the hemi hat and accordion hose. There is no more drone than stock setup, but the low and mid range is actually improved, while adding a really distinct growl. It is almost "poppy" if that makes sense. WOT sounds great.

From my setups I have determined the following:
a - With the huge airbox, excellent intake location, and serviceability -the stock setup is not bad. The accordion hose, IMHO, is more restrictive than the hemi hat.

b - Any open cone filter will cause drone as compared to a closed one. I'd speculate that a cone filter in a box, like the full out airraid, or a volant, would be a great blend of both types.

c - Using the washable cone filter on the crankcase breather, in my case, caused a concerning amount of condensation in the oil filler cap and body in the cooler months here in central Ohio. I would actually wipe it out every week just to reduce the overall moisture in the oil. This baffles me because that is actually a negative pressure zone in operation, as I understand it.

d - There are different strokes for different folks, be sure to try something and don't just listen to what everyone else says.

Hopefully this long winded post helps someone, or at least saves them a few dollars on a given setup.

I have run the KN 57-1533 on my 06 hemi for 5 years now and it fits perfectly and has no drone at all. If yours is hitting the hood, it was installed wrong. My truck also makes great low end power with this CAI

Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
spuldup
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
I have run the KN 57-1533 on my 06 hemi for 5 years now and it fits perfectly and has no drone at all. If yours is hitting the hood, it was installed wrong. My truck also makes great low end power with this CAI
As I said,different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

As I said,different strokes for different folks.

I see what you said, but after looking at mine again, the only thing that could possibly be hitting the hood would be the air box that is supplied with the k-n kit . Is that what was hitting on yours?

As far as drone, I cant hear mine even at WOT. I'm not trying to be a pain in the azz here, just curious as to why your k-n kit sucked and mine has been a perfect match for my truck. I've even dynoed mine with the k-n setup and made great torque at low rpm's.

My mods are e fan, k-n 57-1533, bbk shorty headers, magnaflow spun hi flo convertors 2.5 inch pipes, dido magnaflow muffler, and DSP tuner

Dynoed at Beans diesel performance center

300 rwhp and 390 lbs ft rw torque

I ran the k-n setup before all other mods and still never experienced the negatives you wrote about, so this post is very confusing to me. Sorry you had trouble with your k-n

Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 AM
jcb36
Rookie

Kn77 here, no drone ever, i think that has more to do with ur exhaust set up,..im running stock manifolds, two pipes, two cats straight back to dual in dual out magnaflow with crossover in the muffler, then dumped. Just my .02.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM
spuldup
Rookie

Yep it may have to do with the exhaust, as mine has the junk factory Y-pipe and runs to one 18" magnaflow SISO 3". True duals or an H pipe are the next mod.

No worries, by the way. This is all constructive info for those reading the post trying to pick an intake.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Yep it may have to do with the exhaust, as mine has the junk factory Y-pipe and runs to one 18" magnaflow SISO 3". True duals or an H pipe are the next mod.

No worries, by the way. This is all constructive info for those reading the post trying to pick an intake.

If you think it's exhaust drone, install the magnaflow y pipe and a long dynomax super turbo 3 in dual 2.5 out muffler and the drone will be gone. I am currently running this setup and it's got a nice tone but no drone. Good luck

Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
sully5981
Rookie

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Unfortunately you basically threw about 250 down the drain with the Volant as you could have created a similar set up with the stock air box, K&N drop in filter and an AirRaid Jr. tube from the box directly to the TB. And you would have seen about the same gains as well but for a fraction of the cost. It amazes me that people still want to go out and pay 300+ dollars for a dang CAI
Where would one purchase these items? I'm looking to get one but I'm fairly new to this forum. When you say "drop in filter", do you mean the regular square filter or the cone one that fits directly in the box. And where can one purchase the airraid Jr tube?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sully5981
Where would one purchase these items? I'm looking to get one but I'm fairly new to this forum. When you say "drop in filter", do you mean the regular square filter or the cone one that fits directly in the box. And where can one purchase the airraid Jr tube?
Sorry for the late response. But yes a drop in filter would be like the one that's in there now, just a better brand (K&N, Amsoil, etc.) and you can buy the tube from the box to the throttle body from the classifieds or online.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:37 AM
alpiniste
Rookie

I have been watching my intake air temp on my trinity and decided to switch to airaid-type of setup. stock air box with drop in k&n and a pvc tube to TB. I was seeing as high as 45 deg higher than ambient with my "cold" air intake. Now, with stock box and air from fender, the temp is mostly the same as ambient. It will be interesting to see what kind of difference in MPG i will see...

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes