3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

performance gains 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 PM
giverzx9r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance gains 5.7 hemi

I just bought a 08 Ram 1500 slt 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi

Which performance parts are worth the money and which are a waste ?

Cold air intake

Swirl throttle body spacer

Cat back exhaust

Computor programer (which 1)
Any other suggestions??

Also the truck comes with 20 x 9 rims and id like to put the largest toyo open country tires i can fit. Will 35 x 12.5 x 20's fit? I heard i will need a leveling kit? How much and where can i get it?
Thanx 4 any help
Neal

Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 PM
aeils
Default RE: performance gains 5.7 hemi

someone is excited!!!

cold air intake - good power gains of 10 or so hp

throttle body spacer - no idea, i hear alot of people say that they are a waste of money.

cat back exhaust - good again power gains of 10 or so hp. and sounds bamf.

computer programer - awsome massive hp gains (superchips makes a good unit)

as far as tires i have no idea, but you can get a leveling kit for under $300, just do a search i am sure someone has done a post.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
JR 06
Professional

TB spacers are a waste IMO, I've seen them dyno tested and not bring any gains.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 AM
sa1765
Veteran

CAI just made a bunch of annoying noise on mine.
the exhaust was absolutely worth the money. i wouldn't recommend the magnaflow...too much ear-bleeding drone at hwy speeds.
do 35" w/ the level kit.
if you really wanna spend money...get a new cam and some headers.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 AM
JayH2112
Veteran

Most bang for your buck would probably be (in this order) cat back, CAI (I have an S&B, alot guys have the Truflow and K&N), tuner (superchips), the TBS is rumored to not work for these trucks, and I would agree as I took the one that was on mine off.

You should be able to fit 35" with a leveling kit no prob, alot of tire places install them.As far as other performance mods, I have come to the conclusion that gears (4.56s) will be next for me.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Hemiroid
Professional

CAI first

Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superchips seems to be the tuner of preference (model# 3518) as it seems to have the most drastic effect on milage, hp/tq, and the tranny. I think that is what most people are most surprised about, how it firms up the shifting and modifies the shift points.

Stay away from the TB spacer...waste of time & money. If I remember correctly what Hammer said, you can fit 33"s under the 4x4 with a minor adjustment to the torsion bars. Otherwise, the lift is crucial. HammerZ71 is one of our resident suspension guys, so keep an eye out for his posts.

As far as exhaust goes, the Flowmaster 50 HD seems to be a popular choice if you want a nice tone but not obnoxiously loud. The Super 44 and the 40 series seem to be pretty popular, too, but they are much louder. I have also heard that people have been really happy with their magnaflow. SA1765 is the first person I have seen that is not happy with it. I have been doing some similar research, because I have some Gibson headers on the way, and the next step will be the exhaust.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 AM
FactoryFlood

go with the aem cold air intake for the hemi ram, makes a major sound difference, increases gas milage, AND comes with a throttle body spacer. next on your list should be a flowmaster 40 series catback and then the chip. The chip alone wont do much to your truck unless your towing upwards of 8,000 pounds regularly. The catback wont do crap until you have the intake cause until your breating more in, you cant exhale more.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
chongo
Veteran

Like Jay said - Gears are going to be your biggest bang for buck especially if you are pushin 35's on 20's, they will reduce the load on yourdrivetrain -should also improve mpg a bit- I have the trueflow XDI intake - noticed a mild increase in power and if I gained any mpg it's slight.BUT it sounds awesome when you put your foot in it! I also have the AirRam power wire - some folks notice gains out of it - I haven't. Stay away from a TBS - worthless IMO - exhaust is a must have - if you are going to suck in more air you need to be able to blow more out - the stock exhaust is a bit restrictive.

In regards to programmers I havent decided myself either the Superchips 3815 or the Edge Evolution.

If you are looking for headers take a look at Doug Thorley Tri Y headers - fairly inexspensive and good gains.

Goodluck and welcome

Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

35s on 1500 is fine up down but its thw width that will get ya. most tires you will see come in 35x12.5 12.5 will usually rub on a 1500. do a search youll see what i mean. 33s fit fine ( as that is teh siz eof tire that comes stock on the 20s)
CAI,exhaust and chip/tuner is the triple gthreat. the best 3 "bolt-ons" that you will notice the difference. cai is a personaly preference really and same with exhaust ( you like it loud or mild). as for the tuner ive heard alot of guys waiting for the smt hemi tuner to comne out but alot of guys areusing the superchips. you can easily spend $1000 for those three things and its worth every penny.

DO NOT GET THE THROTTLE BODY SPACER ITS A WASTE. instead get the fastmans throttle body itself

Quick Reply: performance gains 5.7 hemi