3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

hemi vs vortec max

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:05 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hemi vs vortec max

ORIGINAL: decoraj

That is why am a little worried, the guy that flashed his is a local guy that flashed my 02 6.0. He does it right with the laptop and all and it made a huge difference on my last truck. It was an 02 3/4 ton and my hemi feels like it pulls a little harder then it did. So with the newer 6.0 and and being flashed I am a little nervous about what is going to happen. The hemi and a gmc just like his are the two I went back and forth on before buying one. So I am hoping he does not whoop so bad I end up regretting my decision.
Even if you lose that doesn't mean your truck isn't as good or better then his...that's just part of racing man. There's always someone faster and that can pull/haul more. All losing means is that it's time for more mods

Old 03-09-2008, 02:49 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4x4fantasy

Here is a little trick to give you that little "edge" on him. Put it in 4HI, stall up to 1500rpm, and floor it as soon as you leave. That will give you an honest truck length over him because he will more than likely be in 2WD mode. Once you shift to 2nd, go back to 2WD and start putting distance on him.
It's not going to shift out of 4HI until you let off the gas. You'll end up making the whole run in 4wd.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
decoraj

Like I said I am no racer, but I don't think I am really into the 4hi trick. Another question for some of you guys, the few mods I am going to do to my truck are just appearence things lie wheels, rocker flares, and maybe a couple other odds and ends. But as for the exaust, are you really noticing any more power or fuel economy? Or is it just making more noise? Same with the cold air intake, I am not sure I am sold on them, are you guys really notices any difference other then hearing the engine gasp for air?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM
RamItOne

maybe on a manual transfer case, but not if its a **** on the fly 4x4

Ive noticed tchevys take a while to react when you give it gas. I was real disappointed when I test drove an 07 a lil over a year ago.

Just make sure there's not a 5.7 tundra 4x4 with stock 4.30s!!!!!!!! If that's the case the both of yall will be looking for where your ***** went.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: decoraj

Like I said I am no racer, but I don't think I am really into the 4hi trick. Another question for some of you guys, the few mods I am going to do to my truck are just appearence things lie wheels, rocker flares, and maybe a couple other odds and ends. Same with the coldBut as for the exaust, are you really noticing any more power or fuel economy? Or is it just making more noise? air intake, I am not sure I am sold on them, are you guys really notices any difference other then hearing the engine gasp for air?
How much of the exhaust are we talking? Long tube headers will give you a huge gain, if you're just talking about a catback then it depends on which one you get...some only flow slightly better then stock but sound great. You'll see a little gain with a CAI because the factory hat is restrictivebut the problem is the hemi is speed density...so without a tune you can't get the most out of your supporting mods. The best adviceI can give before modding is to get a plan on what your goals arefirst...don't go in blind or you'll end up wasting money.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
jlowe165

I've owned both. I have a 07 VMax crew cab 6.0 power programmer, cold air intake, throttle body, headers, flows, 3.73 gears are stock. Programmed for premium and changing shift points and pressure make well over 400hp probably closer to 450. My wife has an 05 Jeep with a hemi. Off start Jeep launches and jumps out to about a full length ahead, chevy catches and passes it in 3rd gear. I can switch to 4 auto so it will launch and not spin but then does not have quite the pick up in 2nd and 3rd gear. I raced my budy who has a 2011 hemi he kept up till about 70mph when chevy really starts pulling hard.

If I was you, I wouldn't test him if he's got it tuned and a few things done to it. Stock go for it, it doesn't pull hard when not tuned. Made for towing not racing but it's still fun.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Ellis42
Veteran

Originally Posted by jlowe165
I've owned both. I have a 07 VMax crew cab 6.0 power programmer, cold air intake, throttle body, headers, flows, 3.73 gears are stock. Programmed for premium and changing shift points and pressure make well over 400hp probably closer to 450. My wife has an 05 Jeep with a hemi. Off start Jeep launches and jumps out to about a full length ahead, chevy catches and passes it in 3rd gear. I can switch to 4 auto so it will launch and not spin but then does not have quite the pick up in 2nd and 3rd gear. I raced my budy who has a 2011 hemi he kept up till about 70mph when chevy really starts pulling hard.

If I was you, I wouldn't test him if he's got it tuned and a few things done to it. Stock go for it, it doesn't pull hard when not tuned. Made for towing not racing but it's still fun.
Your a lil late this thread from 2008

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
jlowe165

Yeah I missed that. It still wasnt a good idea then and still not a good idea now.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy with an 07' new body 6.0 and I ran him and smoked him so bad, both trucks are all stock, both are leveled, his had 33" nit to trail grapplers, I have 34" A/t. Im not sure of his gear ratio, but I bet it was Chevy lowest ratio judging by how slow it took off. Im not sure if it matters but I always run 91 octane and he runs 87. I think its dumb to race a pick up but we were just in the moment and decided to go for it.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

good to hear^ my buddy at the station has a 5.3 and he thinks its God's gift to earth...cant wait to bring him back to reality haha

Quick Reply: hemi vs vortec max