3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

hemi vs vortec max

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
decoraj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi vs vortec max

A buddy of mine just bought an 07' extended cab 4x4 vortec max. He is at work for the the next couple weeks and when he gets back he wants to run my new QC 4x4hemi. He has had somebody reflash his pcm and I have the bullydog on mine. I am just wondering if any of you have run one of these and how it turned out? I had an 02 chevy with the 6.0 and I am sure my hemi would light it up, but the 6.0 has another 50 ponies. Also I have the 3.92 gears and his has the 4.10's. Just want to find out what I am getting into so I don't run my mouth off and then get my *** handed to me.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Default RE: hemi vs vortec max

I'm thinking you'll get walked. The max out powers the hemi hp wise, chevy has a pretty efficent drivetrain compared to dodge, and their PCM's are highly tunable for the LS based engines. From what i've seen the hemi's dyno around 260-270....the max will be around 290-300. And then there's the weight and driver skill....only way to really find out is to run him.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:46 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

i test drove an 06 6.0 gmc 2500b4 i went with the RAM. the 6.0 was a dog. after getting on it 3 times with the same result...weak, i took it back and never looked back. i would say you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:42 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Well, your butt dyno is off, cause they do make more power, and they get more to the ground..

Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM
4x4fantasy
Professional

I agree with 6 Hemi Ram. I drove a Vortec Max GMC with 4.10 gears and on paper it should have been quicker than snot on molasses but in the testing I did on the street, it wasn't as quick as the Hemi with only 3.92 gears but destroyed the F150 I drove.

I attributed the Hemi being quicker due to better gearing in the transmission.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 AM
decoraj

Wow, I am kinda suprised more people have not tried to run against one of these. I am sure I will when he gets back and I will let you all know how it went. I don't think I will be able to get him, I am just going to be a little dissapointed if he completly walks me.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
4x4fantasy
Professional

Here is a little trick to give you that little "edge" on him. Put it in 4HI, stall up to 1500rpm, and floor it as soon as you leave. That will give you an honest truck length over him because he will more than likely be in 2WD mode. Once you shift to 2nd, go back to 2WD and start putting distance on him.

:-)

Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: decoraj

Wow, I am kinda suprised more people have not tried to run against one of these. I am sure I will when he gets back and I will let you all know how it went. I don't think I will be able to get him, I am just going to be a little dissapointed if he completly walks me.
GM can make HUGE power if the flash was done correctly. The LS series engines are infinately tuneable. If his tune was done properly on a lap top, with the mapping features and timing advance you will get spanked pretty good. If his has the standard superchip type tune in it, it will be close.
I know a GM mechanic that works at a dealership here in town who has a 5.3L extended cab with a wicked tune and he is almost as fast as me in the quarter and will flat out run me on the big end. I wish we could map the 5.7L as easily as the GM guys can tune theirs, then it would be no contest.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
decoraj

That is why am a little worried, the guy that flashed his is a local guy that flashed my 02 6.0. He does it right with the laptop and all and it made a huge difference on my last truck. It was an 02 3/4 ton and my hemi feels like it pulls a little harder then it did. So with the newer 6.0 and and being flashed I am a little nervous about what is going to happen. The hemi and a gmc just like his are the two I went back and forth on before buying one. So I am hoping he does not whoop so bad I end up regretting my decision.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM
decoraj

And by the way, I did not buy the truck for racing and this is likely the only time I will ever race anyone other then the random at the stop light race. I like everything better about the dodge, I just hope they are comparable and I am not just left there shaking my head.

Quick Reply: hemi vs vortec max