3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

replacing goodyear wrangler hps with a better tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got some cooper discover ht pluses. I bought them because they were cheap ($120 a tire!) i just needed something to get me by since the belts let go in 3 of my stock crapyears. I am surprised at how well these tires hook up on and off road. They are also a very nice looking tire. If you want to save some money and have a nice tire, look into these.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
badblackram06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
I just got some cooper discover ht pluses. I bought them because they were cheap ($120 a tire!) i just needed something to get me by since the belts let go in 3 of my stock crapyears. I am surprised at how well these tires hook up on and off road. They are also a very nice looking tire. If you want to save some money and have a nice tire, look into these.
Those are a some nice looking tires and copper does have a good rep. Now I just need a lower profile size from my stock tire size.the stock tire size is 275/60r20 so what are some sizes to have a lower profile tire. The width is just fine but it could go wider if I had to.oh and Is it the first number (p275)or the second number (60)that tells you the side wall size? Thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

i found some tires finally. I purchased some Hancook Ventus's. They look really good. i went down a few sizes which made the truck look so much better.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
1LowRam
Professional

I replaced my GYs with teh Kuhmo SXTs. They are directional tire. They have worked great so far in the rain and on the street. Real quiet also on the street.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cooper makes Big-O tires and they break belts alot.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Look into Sam's club and the BFG Long Trail T/A tires. I had these on my Ford and will be putting them on my 08 Ram when it's time for tires. They should last twice as long and have a good ride and good all weather traction. Priced right too!!
I have the Long Trails on my Grand Cherokee, I bought it and the previous owner had just put them on. After 23k miles, there is still a bunch of tread and they ride really nice on the road.
My only issue with them is that I've had two flats now. One I got off the pavement while fishing in the back country, the other on the highway on vacation just a couple weeks ago. I'm not blaming the tires, but I am planning a 2" lift on the Jeep so I can get into a more performing A/T tire like a Mickey Thompson ATZ or Nitto Terra Grappler. Something with a better ply rating. I'm using the Jeep a lot more for trips up to the farm to save over the road wear and tear on the truck and just need a tire that will still allow me to work and play when I get there...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-06-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cooper Zeon LTZ

Old 06-06-2009, 11:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For a 2wd street truck, the Long Trail T/A's are great. Would work well on a Mall Crawler as well.
They have a treadwear rating of like 560. Long lasting. My 01 F150 never got stuck in the Mud or snow with them. Rarely got offroad though. I'm a city boy.
Name:  DSCN0308-1.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  141.3 KB

Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
all of 75
Veteran

Like everyone else said it depends what you use your truck for.

Here is a site that has helped me a lot when researching tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/indexA.jsp

Personally, because I do off-roading in the desert and mountains I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors with Kevlar. They are excellent and have a better treadwear rating than the Wrangler HPs and they are even quieter on the road than the HP's.

However, if you are looking for a street tire, Pirelli makes some excellent tires, I have them on my Mercedes and they are superb.

I hope I could have helped.

P.S. TireRack has an explanation of all the tire size and etc. things I think.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowly 2nd gen guy chiming in here. I just went through this hair pulling descision myself.
Ended up with a set of Hankook LT's they are a 10ply tire. All season.
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produc...il.asp?pid=399

Our 1-Ton truck had a set of Cooper Discoverer LT Load Range E tires on it. They made it over 60,000 miles. The coopers have a similar tread pattern as the hankooks in the link above.

Quick Reply: replacing goodyear wrangler hps with a better tire?