3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7 Hemi and 9.5 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009 | 12:09 PM
TheFist
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You've got an issue because an unmodded Hemi 4x4 should get you about 13 around town and close to 17 highway, if it's a non-MDS and about 1 mpg better if it has MDS.

The PCM "learns" driving habits. Could be the old owner dogged it. Re-set your PCM and give it a couple tank fulls to adjust to your driving habits. Should make a difference.
Then tackle all the small MPG improving things like cleaning the TB & EGR, synthetics, etc.
No one thing will be dramatic, but the cumulative effect could net you 3 or 4 more mpgs...
For whatever reason I missed these posts here. Good advice. How do I reset my PCM?

Old 04-07-2009 | 02:53 AM
redrum25
Amateur

For what its worth... my 07 2500 4x4 QC gets about 10.5 to 12mpg in town, about 13 to 16 hwy, depending on temp and speed. Towing a 9000lb. enclosed trailer I still get 9.5 to 10 mpg. I'd say something definitely is amiss if you're actually getting 9.5.

Old 04-07-2009 | 03:20 AM
Alpheus
Banned

Originally Posted by TheFist
For whatever reason I missed these posts here. Good advice. How do I reset my PCM?
Remove ECM/SKIM fuse in fuse box.
Buckle the driver seat belt (to eliminateseat belt chimes)
Shut door.
Put in key and turn it to RUN position.
Remain there until you hear 2 chimes.
Turn key off.
Replace fuse.

Old 04-07-2009 | 09:20 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

"In-town" means a lot of different things. To some people it means cruising 35 down Main Street in light traffic. To others it means doing 15-20 in a congested big city. My town has stop signs every two blocks and all I do is gas it, breaks, gas it, breaks, ad nauseum. In the first scenario I can get 13 mpg or so. The second and third scenario, my mpg really tanks.

Old 04-07-2009 | 10:47 AM
hatguy

I only get 8 mpg in the city with my 5.7 because I'm constantly stopping for stop signs and going up hills and I never drive long enough to get warmed up, but on the highway I consistenly get 22 mpg. I think you'd have to compare your truck with others in your city who have similar driving habits to tell. That being said all of the other suggestions really couldn't do anything but improve your mpgs

Last edited by hatguy; 04-07-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2009 | 11:29 AM
buffalodan

I get anywhere between 10.5 and 11.5 around town. Maybe 12-12.5 if Im real light on the gas. 2004 quad cab 4WD Hemi, 3.92 and 17's. 52000 miles.

Old 04-07-2009 | 12:14 PM
TheFist
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Alpheus
Remove ECM/SKIM fuse in fuse box.
Buckle the driver seat belt (to eliminateseat belt chimes)
Shut door.
Put in key and turn it to RUN position.
Remain there until you hear 2 chimes.
Turn key off.
Replace fuse.
Thanks appreciate that. Also thanks for all the other suggestions. I'll see if I can figure out which one of these fuses is the one you're talking about. I'm going to try and get my trailer brake controller in today and I'll look at the fuses while I'm out there.

Old 04-09-2009 | 01:11 AM
TheFist
|
Veteran

Check engine light came on today after work. Hopefully whatever caused that will help with the mpg's when its fixed. They gave me an 05 qc hemi 4x4 and just going by the digital meter its getting about 11mpgs in town. I know that meter isn't accurate but it does give you an aproximation.

Old 04-09-2009 | 05:11 AM
abarmby
Champion

Great advise and insight RubberFrog and hatguy about stop go traffic.

It's interesting to see that in the States, you also have a problem with t lights and stop signs.

Here in the UK, most of our local roads due to what you could loosley call "traffic management" by the local town halls, have t lights and stop signs at just about everywhere they can......... and then some......????????

We have a different transportation system here in the UK, relying heavily on buses and trains to get about which are usually dirty, expensive and never on time. To encourage their use however and keep traffic hopefully out of town ~(never works), the local town halls just make it as difficult as they can for car and vehicle owners to get into town, by putting up all these signs, signals and street furniture plus taxing us in bigger cities with a ..........wait for it.........congestion charge?
Which is what they the town halls, have created themselves????
What a crock!
It's a nightmare! Not only to drive in, but it also impacts greatly on MPG.
The green brigade and tree huggers of the earth should recognise that most of these signs and lights should be removed and a common sense approach to driving be adopted, stopping the stop go shunting we all seem to experience in town and encouraging the free flow of traffic.
This would increase MPG and also SAVE THE PLANET LOL.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-09-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2009 | 02:10 PM
TheFist
|
Veteran

Check engine light turned out to be a low oil pressure warning.

"Drive test 5.7l code low oil pressure. Oil level OK. Presure at 40psi no leaks. Unable to duplicate concern at this time."

Thats discouraging.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi and 9.5 mpg?