3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Miles per gallon- What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM
technoid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
"My buddy just drove his new ford f150 to florida from alabama about 400 miles and only averaged 11 mpg while towing a small trailer with two harleys on it. that sucks in more ways than one. a few years back I had towed a ford crown victoria on a trailer 200 miles with my dodge 1500 and got 18 plus mpg. what i'm saying is where the hell is the eco in fords eco-boost?" -F150forum

I thought that this post was relevant to this thread. Not to add fuel to the fire, but interesting to see some real world mpg's when using a truck for what it's intended ie. towing/hauling. In all fairness, I don't believe the guy with the Dodge REALLY saw 18mpg towing a crown vic, but still
Like I said befor. Its all the way you drive. He was probably going 75-80 mph with the A/C on. The faster you drive the more you will use. Trailer wind drag, etc. And how many times was it punched to pass others? That to will burn up the fuel just as quick.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM
MYater1

I've had my 04.5 dodge cummins since 2006 and have had a record high at 29.9 MPG doing 60MPH with the cruise on the freeway. Also made a 3000 mile round trip vacation throught the Pacific Northwest hauling the camp trailer and a bed full of stuff and sat around 15 the whole time.

My excel sheet that I plug all my economy data into gives me an average of 17 over a 5 year period.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Originally Posted by MYater1
I've had my 04.5 dodge cummins since 2006 and have had a record high at 29.9 MPG doing 60MPH with the cruise on the freeway. Also made a 3000 mile round trip vacation throught the Pacific Northwest hauling the camp trailer and a bed full of stuff and sat around 15 the whole time.

My excel sheet that I plug all my economy data into gives me an average of 17 over a 5 year period.

This is why I want a CTD!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
technoid

I am the original owner of a 1997 Dodge Cummins 12valve turbo diesel. It still gets 19 hwy and 14 pulling a trailer. Closing on 200,000 miles. Always starts. No electronics to go wrong. And I will never sell it.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by technoid
I solved my poor milege problem with my 2002 1500 ram truck. Traded the gas guzler in for a 2011 Ford F150 ecoboost V6. 396 hp Dual turbo motor. Puts the Dodge to shame. It gets 25 mpg highway and 17 city. And when you need the power its there! Better tow and load capacity. SORRY DODGE LOVERS. But I have had enough of that fuel wasting gas powered Dodge truck. Not to mention that piece of crap of a tranny it had. But to make you all feel better I still have my 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel truck. I won't part with that one.

You should get your facts straight before you come on here to talk smack
First of all the Eco-Boost only has 365hp, not 396.
Second, it is rated at 22mpg hwy and most don't even get that, if you are getting 25, then you are doing better then most.
It gets less than 9mpg in real world towing because it really has to work hard under a real load. But since you have the Cummins, this shouldn't be an issue for you
3rd, it is direct injected so in a few years, it will be having the same issue that VW and others are having with nasty build-up on the intake valves from crankcase oil vapors because there is no fuel to wash it on into the combustion chamber to be burned away. Other than some kind of catch can set-up, I'm not sure how to eliminate this problem unless the PCV system was to draw in air from a separate, filtered source of outside air.

I'm not bashing Ford, I own 2 as well as 3 Dodges. This is a good engine for the SHO Taurus, but working hard to pull around an overweight pickup truck, costly repairs will be in your future if you keep it 5+ years. The 6 speed auto trans is good. Much better than the outdated 545RFE Dodge trans, or 45RFE in your case.

I wouldn't have a 2011 F150 because they come with very delicate EPAS system. This is an Electric Power Assisted Steering system. It is damaged if you use a fork type tie-rod separator as per a Ford service bulletin!!! How is it going to hold up if you actually went offroad and bumped into something? Not Ford Tough for sure. The 6.2L is the only engine option I would even consider so far because the 5.0L is new as well.
Ford has a bad track record with new engines. The first 4.6L and 5.4L 2V engines only had 4 spark plug threads in the head which led to an epidemic of blown spark plugs. Took from 97 to mid year 03 to get 8 threads then they released the 3V engine in 04 that had a plug design that left soo much plug below the threads, that carbon built up and the plugs broke off in the head. Took 2 yrs to fix this issue as well as the chronic failure of the cam phasers in the 04 and 05 that failed and sounded like a diesel. The 6.uh-oh Powerstroke was a timebomb in 04-early 06 as well.
Like I said, I'm not bashing Ford, these are proven facts. So I would stay clear of a new engine design for the first few years from experience and the Eco-boost is far from proven in a truck in the real world and is way too costly with DI and twin turbos to gamble my hard earned money on.

I wish you the best of luck with it. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

Enjoy your new ride with the shortest powertrain warranty of the big 3 car makers. I hope you opted for the extended warranty and never need it. I've owned Fords for over 28 years, and I will probably have the two I have left forever, but the New F150 is just not appealing to me, the EPAS is way to fragile and the bed sides are way too tall. They have been since the 04's were introduced. I liked my 01. I think it was the best looking style (99-03) since the 73-79 styling.

As for the MPG question, My last fill-up (yesterday), running 93 octane on a 93 DSP tune with the MDS off in mixed driving 65%hwy/35%city I did a paper calculated 18.6mpg. Not bad considering I don't drive it real easy.

Last edited by lxman1; 06-03-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM
technoid

Originally Posted by lxman1
You should get your facts straight before you come on here to talk smack
First of all the Eco-Boost only has 365hp, not 396.
Second, it is rated at 22mpg hwy and most don't even get that, if you are getting 25, then you are doing better then most.
It gets less than 9mpg in real world towing because it really has to work hard under a real load. But since you have the Cummins, this shouldn't be an issue for you
3rd, it is direct injected so in a few years, it will be having the same issue that VW and others are having with nasty build-up on the intake valves from crankcase oil vapors because there is no fuel to wash it on into the combustion chamber to be burned away. Other than some kind of catch can set-up, I'm not sure how to eliminate this problem unless the PCV system was to draw in air from a separate, filtered source of outside air.

I'm not bashing Ford, I own 2 as well as 3 Dodges. This is a good engine for the SHO Taurus, but working hard to pull around an overweight pickup truck, costly repairs will be in your future if you keep it 5+ years. The 6 speed auto trans is good. Much better than the outdated 545RFE Dodge trans, or 45RFE in your case.

I wouldn't have a 2011 F150 because they come with very delicate EPAS system. This is an Electric Power Assisted Steering system. It is damaged if you use a fork type tie-rod separator as per a Ford service bulletin!!! How is it going to hold up if you actually went offroad and bumped into something? Not Ford Tough for sure. The 6.2L is the only engine option I would even consider so far because the 5.0L is new as well.
Ford has a bad track record with new engines. The first 4.6L and 5.4L 2V engines only had 4 spark plug threads in the head which led to an epidemic of blown spark plugs. Took from 97 to mid year 03 to get 8 threads then they released the 3V engine in 04 that had a plug design that left soo much plug below the threads, that carbon built up and the plugs broke off in the head. Took 2 yrs to fix this issue as well as the chronic failure of the cam phasers in the 04 and 05 that failed and sounded like a diesel. The 6.uh-oh Powerstroke was a timebomb in 04-early 06 as well.
Like I said, I'm not bashing Ford, these are proven facts. So I would stay clear of a new engine design for the first few years from experience and the Eco-boost is far from proven in a truck in the real world and is way too costly with DI and twin turbos to gamble my hard earned money on.

I wish you the best of luck with it. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

Enjoy your new ride with the shortest powertrain warranty of the big 3 car makers. I hope you opted for the extended warranty and never need it. I've owned Fords for over 28 years, and I will probably have the two I have left forever, but the New F150 is just not appealing to me, the EPAS is way to fragile and the bed sides are way too tall. They have been since the 04's were introduced. I liked my 01. I think it was the best looking style (99-03) since the 73-79 styling.

As for the MPG question, My last fill-up (yesterday), running 93 octane on a 93 DSP tune with the MDS off in mixed driving 65%hwy/35%city I did a paper calculated 18.6mpg. Not bad considering I don't drive it real easy.
So I was off by a few horses. So What! I have a life time drive train warranty on this Ford from the dealer. And I am not worried about it. If you read all my past posts you would know this. I love this Ford as well as my old Dodge Cummins. I have driven company Fleet Ford trucks from my old job for many years. I know all the problems. Dodge trucks had the worst made trannys ever! The company dumped the contract bid with Dodge after the first year. You would think Dodge would have solved this problem the first year. But no, they stubbernly ignord the complaints. And kept on with the same cheap design faults. So don't tell me about how bad Ford will be. My old Ford explorer was a lemon on wheels. So both companys have there demon design faults. I had my 1997 Dodge cummins 47RE transmission rebuilt with after market heavy duty designed parts. A lock-up control was added so the transmission would stay in lock-up and not blow up! I am able to tow in torque converter lock down to 20 mph. Also added an exhaust pac-brake. The frontend was rebuilt to stop the constant driting. Rewired the head light circuit with relays to take the load off that cheap switch. I have done so much more to this truck than I care to write about just to get all of the Dodge bugs out of it.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you guys are not satisfied with each others ride? Thats what it read like. I've had furds, and now I have dodge. I don't think they make a truck that is 100% infalible. That said, I'll push my RAM before I drive any other truck.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Like I said, I'm not bashing Ford, I just stated the facts. I personally would never buy the first couple years of a new engine no matter who builds it. I'm glad you like the truck. If you got a lifetime powertrain warranty, then you will have nothing to worry about.

As for reading all of your post, I'm not a stalker and don't follow your posting all over the forum. I am also a mod on the largest Ford truck forum on the net and have been since 2002 so I know a thing or two about how things work.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Congratulations... 29.9 mpg has to be the highest i have ever heard of on the CTD... generally it is 17-20~21 mpg on the hiway depending on the mods.

I hope you are hand calculating those numbers and not counting on the lie-o-meter, it is usually off even on a stock truck.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 AM
EliteLimit

Man, its never enough miles per gallon these days. I had to buy a little gas econo car for my wife to driver around to save one that. now that thing gets 40+ to the gallon. that is some serious savings

Quick Reply: Miles per gallon- What are you getting?