3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4" Home Fab CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. resurrecting a 2.5yr old thread..yikes.
Originally Posted by 02ram1500billyj
Is it just me or has no one noticed that he has a reducer where it connects to the air filter which it probably a 4"to3" so with that being said ur 4 inch pipe is doing nothing but there for looks. Going from 3" to 4" back to 3" does not make it suck more air, its physics, only so much air is going to fit thru the 3" tb so all u did was pay more for 4" pipe when u could have used 3" n saved a couple bucks n got the same results but u get an A for effort
It's just you..lol

2 posts above yours....
Originally Posted by HammerZ71
As you'll see in his pics, he used a 3" to 4" boot, the TB intake is 3".

Intakes are like exhausts, too small is no good and too big is no good (think about water through a pipe, too skinny restricts flow and too wide losses pressure (speed at which it flows).

I've yet to be able to see any advantage to going 4" over 3" but I don't see any disadvantage either. I wouldn't go any larger than 4" though...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM
BigHorn777
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, everyone would just like to be heard 02 Ram... If you don't have something good to say, say nothing... If you want to talk about physics (to sound socially smart) you would have noticed I have a 4" to 3" reducer at the intake and the filter. So physics as you so speak about would prove that when you bottle neck something from two ends you cause a vacuum effect thus creating more volume of air to be pulled though the tube. Soooo if you would still like to disprove this theory Mr. 02ram, go do some research. Or go back to school. Only thing you had right is it does cost more for 4" PVC, but for me it was like a whole 4 bucks for me here where I live. big deal. I still have this mod on and it has proven itself over and over.
Dirty dog is right, it is not necessary to go to 4". He is also right bigger is not always better. There is a limit and I would say 4 is nearing that. However to disprove your theory of not having enough flow going to big, take all of your CAI off and run your truck. HMMMMM, doesn't effect nothing except your at risk of sucking **** into the intake so I do not advise doing this for any period of time or you'd cause harm to your motor. Yes you will not force air into your intake as you would with a CAI, but rather suck hot air from your engine compartment. The whole key here is cold air, and forced cold air.
So if you want to be a Naysayer, or just want to put a piece of verbiage out there so you sound important think twice. Sometimes I feel like some folks just need to be heard like a child. Simply put, unless you are a mechanic and can truly disprove something or feel that something may hurt another persons vehicle keep you lips shut.
I know of at least 50 people that have done this mod and love it. I am buying a 2014 Ram which will be in the end of this month. I will also install this mod again.
Oh so to prove my theory, please start the bashing back or blabbing...... Blaaahhhh, Blaaaahhhh, Blaaahhhh..

Last edited by BigHorn777; 01-19-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even know if I updated my intake in this thread......it's been so long. here is the afe I'm sporting instead of the sh*tter pipe.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Just to support the 4 to 3 to 4 theory...it's called the venturi affect. I'm petty sure that's grade 10 physics.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigHorn777
Hey Check out the new 4" CAI I installed yesterday. I had a 3" intake and yanked it for this one. Boy does this sucker suck! No kidding, it really roars when you step on it. Just ask Butch he has the same thing we built a couple months back. 4"PVC and a Spectre air can. Just got a Diablo Sport tuner the other day that is the next thing to go in as soon as I can fill up with 93 gas. Enjoy the pics, click the link.
http://craigsgarage.shutterfly.com/pictures/14#15

Why would you use a 4 inch CAI when the throttle body cant handle that much air. Yes, I'm sure it sucks, but will do nothing for your performance, since the TB can only allow what air it's opening size is, so your on overkill, and have improved nothing. My guess is you had to use a reducer to connect that 4 inch CAI to the TB, so you should see that the 3 inch you had was the proper size

Last edited by Old man with a Hemi2; 01-19-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM
BBTRUCK19
Default possible error in thought

I know what you are trying accomplish, and even stated the venturi effect as proof of your thought. Now i could be wrong and maybe someone could better clarify things. Venturi effect states that the decrease in diameter of a tube reduces pressure and increases velocity. Your overall design is a 4 inch tube which at the filter end pulls from 3" to 4" and at TB end constricts from 4" to 3" the larger diameter throughout the intake does not create the venturi effect. I do agree if you had a 4 inch overall and constricted to 3" at the TB would create your desired effect. The smaller fitting at the filter end restricts the air-flow into the tube and thus cancels the desired effect. Like I said my thoughts could be incorrect and if they are i'm interested to know what others thoughts are as I am looking to build my own CAI.

Quick Reply: 4" Home Fab CAI