3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4" Home Fab CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 AM
07silverbullit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffrescue724
Looks great!! Is there a specific kind of paint you guys use for the PVC?
Im not sure if this got answered but Krylon makes the Fusion for Plastic spray paint and it works on PVC. They make it in a few different finishes I believe and a slew of colors...

Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work in a plumbing field and we have pvc pipe benders i think i should borrow one lol
not sure if it will do 4" tho

Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

I talked to the dealer by me about the warranty thing and a CAI and home brew CAI, and I was told it would not affect my warranty. They also told me, as long as I have a air filter on it, it is good. Like I'd run with out it, duh! However, I would hold onto your stock stuff in case you have some issues with your truck, it is easy to put back to stock if you need to and to be sure they don't come back and say well I never told him he could use that... I am keeping mine for that purpose, you never know and the 10 min. it takes to reinstall is no big deal. That is a decision you need to make for yourself though.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 PM
07silverbullit

Thanks Bighorn. Its settled then, Im gonna start working on my homebrew CAI Friday afternoon. I'll also keep the old box and stuff just in case anyone tries to hassle me. Ill post some pics here when I get it done!

Whoever came up with the idea of a homebrew CAI is a genius! Looks good all painted and saves some money. Can't go wrong with that!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM
bigtigga84
Professional

hardest part is cutting the pipes, but if you use the instructions in the begging of this thread it's a breeze. no need to test fit. less than an hour to actually fab. i went a little farther than the others i think and did some extra stuff the other night when i did mine. gotta take it back out and glue it together so im gonna take pics of what i did then, easier to show that explain lol.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Cooljay12
Amateur

Got my filter, 4" PVC parts and glue. Pic's on the way soon!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

07 Silver bullet when you go to take out the air box, take out the 3 or 4 small screws under the wheel well that hold the plastic well in place do (they are above the tire), then all you need to pull the front corner down to get to the hidden bolt holding the air box in place. You do not need to take the hole wheel well out just pull the front corner down, it is kind a tricky but you will see what I am talking about when you do it, just enough room to get your tool of choice in there to pull the bolt out. Can not wait to see it. I used plastic paint you get at your local Menards or hardware store. The Hammered finish makes it easier to cover up cosmetic blemishes in the plastic. But of coarse color choices are limited... Can not wait to see it.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 PM
07silverbullit

Originally Posted by BigHorn777
07 Silver bullet when you go to take out the air box, take out the 3 or 4 small screws under the wheel well that hold the plastic well in place do (they are above the tire), then all you need to pull the front corner down to get to the hidden bolt holding the air box in place. You do not need to take the hole wheel well out just pull the front corner down, it is kind a tricky but you will see what I am talking about when you do it, just enough room to get your tool of choice in there to pull the bolt out. Can not wait to see it. I used plastic paint you get at your local Menards or hardware store. The Hammered finish makes it easier to cover up cosmetic blemishes in the plastic. But of coarse color choices are limited... Can not wait to see it.
Good looking out on that wheel well. Much appreciated! Didnt get a chance to do any work on it yet because I had to work today instead of having the day off. Oh well! There's still the weekend!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Schmeezie
Rookie

That $hit is Phat. Looks more like and exhaust pipe for a diesel. lol

Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran
Default 4" cai

Hi, New to this site and really enjoy all the cool info and subjects on the Mighty Mopars.
Owned Dodges ever since 81 with my 74 Dodge Dart sport and several Trucks up till my current ride, an 06 1500 and I loved them all.

Just finished my 4" intake and it sure SUX! Just like BigHorn 777 and Butch said it would earlier in this Year old + post.
Took me the better part of Sat. afternoon and all of $65 bucks to make.
Thanks for the detailed info and pics...
Here are some of mine...

4" Home Fab CAI-dsc01133.jpg

Attachment 14872

Last edited by MoparPaul; 02-25-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 4" Home Fab CAI