3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

got spanked!!! need opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed with all you on the whole car vs truck thing...I know a guy who has run high 11s out of his 04 3500...and pulled full pulls in tractor pulls. I heard he was pushing just over a thousand horse (nothing on this truck is stock but maybe the body)...HOWEVER he is fully sponsored, all he had to do was buy the truck. They do all the modding. They have spent tens of thousands in mods, not to mention the amount of labor. So unless you can find a sponsor, or have lots of money i don't think you will ever beat her.

As Thatonekid states, trucks are for hauling, but you can make it more fun to drive, by doing all those "small" mods. Do what you have to do to beat those so called civic imports that claim to be pushing major speed, but as soon as something higher comes along try to give them a run, but be prepared to go down....Racing other trucks tho is your time to shine. You can put your supercharger or turbos on to beat them, but you will compare to most of them, standing a good chance....cars better luck next time

Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
dcrow
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to tell you but if you want to even come close to beating a mustang or any american muscle,might want to get a cummins,or you can get a car like this so your dodge ram can tow it on a trailer to the track.

Last edited by dcrow; 01-01-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 PM
dcrow
Rookie

here is more.

Last edited by dcrow; 09-16-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM
dcrow
Rookie

pic of my truck.

Last edited by dcrow; 09-16-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

shoot, you want power to beat a GT? Get the 6.1 top end (cam, ported polished heads, valve springs and bigger injectors) and that lil girl will be screamin "gimme-a-hemi!" A nice lowering kit from ground force (2/4) will help out that center of gravity real nice like too. BTW a CNC ported throttle body from http://www.modernmuscle.biz/ works wonders (for the money)

Last edited by Schmeezie; 09-16-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
MOusafLRT03

just to throw something else into the mix....

get a sportbike.

for me, my truck will never be fast. i'm already sucking wind to the Hemi, and i have more cubes. i'd have to dump a buttload of cash to get anything resembling speed out of my Brick. but, i will say this, ya all giving me bunches of ideas....lil things i can do to make my truck more enjoyable.

I've got my bike to go fast on. brings a big grin every time.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
traker1001
Captain

Nah, I stopped racing my truck after I got my 1991 Ford Taurus (SHO). It eats most stangs and spits them back out. I love watching look on peoples face as you pass up there new mustang in an old rundown looking ford taurus like they were standing still.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by traker1001
Nah, I stopped racing my truck after I got my 1991 Ford Taurus (SHO). It eats most stangs and spits them back out. I love watching look on peoples face as you pass up there new mustang in an old rundown looking ford taurus like they were standing still.

I'd agree that the SHO's were def fast for their time, but they are no more.
V6 SHO's were a 15.2sec 1/4mi
1996-98 pathetic 210hp v8 Mustang GT's ran 15.1sec 1/4mi
99+ Mustang 260hp gt v8..you wouldn't even touch
2005+ v6 you would hang right with since they are as fast as the 96-98gt's.

I don't like foxbodies so i won't even go there, but there are no 4cylinders in any Mustang after 1993.
You would def spank any pre 99 v6 mustang for sure.

To get a Ram to beat out even a v6'er would take a lot of mod money to do. The weight is the biggest killer.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Olerodder

Well, nobody has mentioned NO2..................if you want to put say......
a 100 shot of the silly gas on the motor that would be fairly inexpensive although I'm not sure where you would hide the bottle............maybe a couple of small bottles under the rear seat.................you may need to fatten up the injectors though, and you would certainly need tuner like SuperChips or one of the other brands to recalibrate the fuel delivery.
I'm sure the motor/trans would withstand the abuse.
Maybe next time our local strip is open I'll take the truck out and see what it will do in the quarter....................my guess is somewhere in high 16's, but I could be wrong.
One question for you guys...................so my 08 Hemi puts down 345hp, why does my friends 09 put down 390hp stock. I have looked at replacing my intake with an Airaid system and they claim 20hp gain.........which I can believe................so that would bring my motor up to say 375hp, but was is the difference between the 08 Hemi and 09 Hemi to make 45hp more?????????????????

Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM
traker1001
Captain

Most Claims are much exaggerated. Some of the things I have done that have had a huge impact, DSP Tuner, Electric fan, LT headers, Hi Flow Magnaflow muffler, and CAI. Also keep in mind that the 345hp rating is only at optimum tune and at the crank, There is about a 30% loss through our sloppy trannies and torque converter.

The headers and muffler made the biggest effect, The DSP Had pretty solid increase, Then the Fan had a strong effect to. Of those I would say I felt least effect from the CAI, Although the difference was noticeable.

I would say the muffler and headers were worth about 20 horses,
The DSP in 91 octane was worth 12 to 15 horses, Worth it more for the firming up of the tranny.
E-fan worth about 10 horses
Cai worth about 5 horses and would have been less if I hadn't modified the exhaust first.
Synthetic oils and spark plugs probably brought back about 6 to 7 ponies.

If I get off my lazy but, I may try some 4.56 gears (currently 3.92) and possibly a more aggressive cam some day. Going beyond that is expensive and not worth the effort to me to work on a 4wd. A Cam would bring more horses out of the CAI and exhaust.

Also some gen maintenance items that I noticed a difference are Synthetic oil's, and replacing my spark plugs at about 30K miles. Spark plugs made a big difference in performance and gas mileage, And All I used were cheap champion coppers.

All that I have done and I can only just about keep up with most the lower range sport cars out there, And that is considering most of them are still stock. Keeping in mind at the moment I am lifted and running heavy 35x12.5 tires that are worn and closer to M/T's than A/T's, barely keeping up isn't to bad. I wouldn't have a prayer against stuff like the new 2011 SHO or mustang. But I also keep in mind I am pulling cars like this out of the snow and mud all winter long.

It will be interesting to see what happens after I drop the truck a bit and put on some smaller tires this next week. Although I really don't expect much except bit better mileage.

Last edited by traker1001; 09-18-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: got spanked!!! need opinions please.