3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Towing..I need some opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You won't do as well with the Cummins as you'd think, but you'd beat the sh*t out of towing mileage with a Hemi.
The problem is that an enclosed trailer is a big wind trap, pure and simple. The torque of the Cummins will make it better, but not as much as if it were just a weight issue.

Same with re-gearing, it would do wonders with a weight issue, but a wind catch issue, not so much.

By comparison, I have a buddy in Ga. with an '06 MegaCab Hemi. We all kinda share a big 7700# Kubota tractor and it gets pulled with either that MegaCab, my truck or the tractor owners grandson who has a '98 Cheby Z71 1500 350 V8 with 3.73s.

Unlike RHs Mega with 4.10s, this Mega has 3.73s and I can easily out pull it AND get better gas mileage when doing so. Of course this is not a fair fight, the Mega is bone stock so it's at a good HP and Torque disadvantage, plus it's gotta pull it's own weight also which is a good bit more than a 1500. Of the three of us, the Mega consistently gets the worst gas mileage towing the tractor, despite having a SFA and a much stouter frame.

Now because pulling that tractor and the big a$$ dual axle trailer it sits on, if he had a CTD, he'd blow me away.

I honestly don't know why Dodge even offers the 3.73s with the Hemi in a MegaCab or QCSB 2500 for that matter. People buy 2500s as work trucks. Although they offer QC 4x4s with 3.55s too, which IMO is just as stupid.

OP: I'd get the diesel if you could afford to swing both trucks, sounds like the price is a steal if the truck has no issues. I bought a used Furd diesel in the early 90s I used solely to trailer my bass boats when I was traveling a good bit for tournaments throughout Georgia, Alabama, north Florida and South Carolina. It's a good investment. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from doing so, but merely stating you might be a little disappointment when you don't get 20 mpg pulling an enclosed trailer...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-20-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Trupiano
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonhyboi
trying to get 120 for it
If it's in good shape, and it'll fit my 05, and it's a dual 10", then you have yourself a deal!

Can you send me some pics of it?

Last edited by Trupiano; 06-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Trupiano
Veteran

Although they offer QC 4x4s with 3.55s too, which IMO is just as stupid
: ( my 4X4 QC has 3.55 gears. But yeah I agree, it's stupid.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
sharkhunter10
Captain

we should go ride sometime man. lol I once pulled a 27ft enclosed trailer and it whipped my trucks A@@!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You won't do as well with the Cummins as you'd think, but you'd beat the sh*t out of towing mileage with a Hemi.
The problem is that an enclosed trailer is a big wind trap, pure and simple. The torque of the Cummins will make it better, but not as much as if it were just a weight issue.

Same with re-gearing, it would do wonders with a weight issue, but a wind catch issue, not so much.

By comparison, I have a buddy in Ga. with an '06 MegaCab Hemi. We all kinda share a big 7700# Kubota tractor and it gets pulled with either that MegaCab, my truck or the tractor owners grandson who has a '98 Cheby Z71 1500 350 V8 with 3.73s.

Unlike RHs Mega with 4.10s, this Mega has 3.73s and I can easily out pull it AND get better gas mileage when doing so. Of course this is not a fair fight, the Mega is bone stock so it's at a good HP and Torque disadvantage, plus it's gotta pull it's own weight also which is a good bit more than a 1500. Of the three of us, the Mega consistently gets the worst gas mileage towing the tractor, despite having a SFA and a much stouter frame.

Now because pulling that tractor and the big a$$ dual axle trailer it sits on, if he had a CTD, he'd blow me away.

I honestly don't know why Dodge even offers the 3.73s with the Hemi in a MegaCab or QCSB 2500 for that matter. People buy 2500s as work trucks. Although they offer QC 4x4s with 3.55s too, which IMO is just as stupid.

OP: I'd get the diesel if you could afford to swing both trucks, sounds like the price is a steal if the truck has no issues. I bought a used Furd diesel in the early 90s I used solely to trailer my bass boats when I was traveling a good bit for tournaments throughout Georgia, Alabama, north Florida and South Carolina. It's a good investment. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from doing so, but merely stating you might be a little disappointment when you don't get 20 mpg pulling an enclosed trailer...
if I decide with it.. I will post picture of it soon. I'm just wanting to pull this trailer so I can start traveling to my races with all my stuff.. an not filling up at every gas station I see.. and not hearing my truck revving out lol, long as it gets better than 5-6mpg an I don't have to hear my truck screaming i'm happy. But i'm thinking the trailer is just to heavy. its not a old an its not new i'm new to the trailer world now an what i've heard is the older they are the heavier they are if that's true?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

the new trailers now days are made out of aluminm and fiber glass . the older ones are all steal and plywood . so yes the older the more pounds .

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Dunno207
Professional

Originally Posted by Jonhyboi
for racing man haha It was just my quad an 2 dirtbikes. an our gear an helmets. youll see it the next time i'm down that way haha. Once I can pull it down there.
Kinda overkill with the trailer huh? I can fit 3 dirt bikes in my bed and some gear in the bed/truck easy. But its preference I guess.

As for the towing I don't see why your having trouble. I pull a 25' camper just fine getting 10 mpg on highway, and with my 10' utility trailer loaded with 2 bikes in the bed, and 2 quads in the trailer I get about 10 mpg also. Only thing I added was some O/L springs for towing the camper.

Last edited by Dunno207; 06-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:45 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

i have a set of overload springs in the classified section brand new it that helps .

Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 PM
79cadillac

Originally Posted by The Moose
You guys are getting some terrible mileage towing! I used to get 10-11 MPG pulling my trailer and race car (about 5000 lb including gear) with my 2002 4.7 1500 QC with 3.55's. Now I get about 13 MPG towing with my Hemi 2500. If you are getting 5-6 MPG and pulling less than that, even with wind resistance, something is wrong.

Either that or you are trying to go 80 MPH!

i gotta agree with moose. 5.8mpg is awful. I can do 9-11mpg towing my 8300lb travel tailer at 60mph with the hemi and 3.92s. CIty I would expect about 5 or 6 but i dont even want to know what im burning then.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For comparison, when I had my bass boat, 2600# plus maybe another 200# or so in gear I got damn close to the 15.5 MPG I got pulling nothing, maybe down about .5 mpg.

When I pull that Kubota and boxblade combo at 7700# plus I'm guessing at least another 1200# in trailer, I get about 11 mpg on mostly 55-60 mph back highways.

The one time I pulled an enclosed trailer from Fernandina Beach in Florida to south central Georgia, I got 9.5 mpg even though the trailer weight and all it's contents were not much over 3500 lbs.

That's why I said to NOT be shocked when the diesel (or gears) do no do as well as you expect...

Quick Reply: Towing..I need some opinions..