3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2003 Ram 1500 Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
ronbadgers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 1500 Suggestions

Hey guys, I will be turning 16 in a bout a month, so I just bought my first vehicle. It was a Silver 2003 Ram 1500 (as the title states). My dad helped me buy it with the idea that it will last me quite awhile. I have decided to put some money into it, so I just need some help deciding what I should get and what I shouldn't.

The dealership agreed to put some "chrome" onto the truck, so I have the chrome door handles, around the wheels, and they also put on some of the mud flaps.

I also had a muffler shop throw on a glass pack muffler and a stainless steel tip to make it a little more intimidating.

I believe my next idea will be either a nice pair of tires with rims, or a lift kit. I have been thinking about the lift kit quite a bit, attempting to decide if it would be worth it. I know at the very least I would want a leveling kit to get the front end up.

What are your guys opinions on leveling kits?? A 6' inch kit would be very nice, but how much will it put me back for money.

If there are any other suggestions you have about adding to the truck I would be happy to hear.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Ram 1500 Suggestions-dodge-ram-1500.jpg  

Last edited by ronbadgers; 07-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,
I would like to suggest you drive the truck for a while until you get a good plan together in what you want the truck to do for you. That way you will save money on false starts. If you take care of your ride it will be there for you a long time. Good luck...

Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 AM
tlawre87
Veteran

Being 16 and new to driving I would get used to the trcuk first and then think about lift kits. Im only 22 and still have lots to learn on driving. I don't want to preach or anything. If you are wanting to do anything I'd change the rims and get yourself a nice set of 20s. Remember though, bigger the tire the more they cost essentially.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:06 AM
grap660
Rookie

i got my 04 ram when i was 16 i waited a year to lift it becuase i was still a new driver and in the meantime i had had my lifted bronco for sale needed it gone before i can put some mods in my truck and i still used it for my 4x4ing needs before it got sold

Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

OP. Truck looks clean. Welcome to DF, You'll get plenty of ideas from reading about the different rides on here, but take your time and do the research.

RedTruck-VA used to have a link in his signature for the 03 Ram The Forgottens Club, you may want to join up since you have an 03. Just look in the Club section!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM
ronbadgers

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I suppose all of you are right. I should take my time and get use to truck before I decide to do anything real serious to it.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
ThatRedDodge
Rookie

Ron, I am 17 and I felt the same way when I got my truck. Definatly best to wait and drive the truck for a while. I am waiting untill I need new tires which is in about 2 months, the I will put a 2.5 level and bigger tires. BTW I have a 2007 2wd. Is yours a 4x4? How many miles? Good looking truck!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
freestyledude
Captain

I'm 17 as well, bought my 2003 with a 3" body lift and 34" mud tires and I love it. Look into fixing the rear differential before it bites you, and try to do as much work as you can on your truck, you'll learn fast. Try not to go too crazy upgrading it and keep some money aside for repairs! You never know what will happen. Also, I did get in a crash and I'm glad I had a grille guard, I had no damage to my truck at all while the little car had about $4000 of damage.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Another thing to think about is looking constantly through Craigslist or stuff like that for stuff thats used but in good shape. Saved a lot of money through that as well on upgrades and tires!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 PM
ronbadgers

My birthday is coming up so hopefully I will be able to grab enough cash that I will be able to afford a 6 inch lift and some tires/rims. What size tires though?? I cant really decide on that or what type of rims. No black rims, only CHROME.

ThatRedDodge-My truck is a 4x4, 91,000 Miles. Thank you very much!

freestlye I thought about a guard, but I think it looks kinda overwhelming on the truck imo. I will start looking through craigslist though

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 1500 Suggestions