3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5th Wheel Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from my first trip with my 07 QCSB...here are the issues.

There is a leak in the brake system, after I hammered on the brakes when coming over a hill and seeing everyone not moving, half way down the hill...I had a soft pedal the rest of the way. If I pumped it twice it came back. I bled them at the camp ground and there was air in the system. I also saw what I thought was brake fluid all over the gas tank. I couldn't find the leak. I cleaned everything and would check it again on the way home. (250 miles)

About 30 miles in...soft pedal again. Going down a steep hill i needed to slow down. The dodge down shifted on it's own (pretty awesome). (Tow/Haul has OD....WTF) that's a different story.

I get home and there is fluid everywhere. I'm looking for the wet spot and can't find it. Then I start to notice the spray and how it looks like it was slung everywhere. Sure enough the U-Joint was all wet (soaked in, not glossy wet). I smelled that Fluid again and realized it was rear end oil.

First trip = Disaster. Truck was dropped off at Dealer. Under Warranty, so we'll see what happens.

Oh and the Check engine light came on...I installed a new CAI, figured it was the PCM freaking about the extra air.

Last edited by pjordan4477; 10-11-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Just called me, they fixed it. Said the oil was clean, no shavings.

Not sure I believe they actually paid attention.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Khaki_D

Originally Posted by pjordan4477
Just got back from my first trip with my 07 QCSB...here are the issues.

There is a leak in the brake system, after I hammered on the brakes when coming over a hill and seeing everyone not moving, half way down the hill...I had a soft pedal the rest of the way. If I pumped it twice it came back. I bled them at the camp ground and there was air in the system. I also saw what I thought was brake fluid all over the gas tank. I couldn't find the leak. I cleaned everything and would check it again on the way home. (250 miles)

About 30 miles in...soft pedal again. Going down a steep hill i needed to slow down. The dodge down shifted on it's own (pretty awesome). (Tow/Haul has OD....WTF) that's a different story.
I tow a 28' fifthwheel CarriLite that is 8500# dry with a '09 2500 Hemi 4x4. This truck does fine with it.

A similar issue happened with my truck/trailer, but it was a short in a brake magnet on the rear axle of the trailer. With my issue, I could feel the brakes on the trailer engage, however when the applied voltage to brakes hit 3V you could feel the trailer brakes disengage and push the truck.

I am not sure all the details on your rig setup, but the electric brakes on the trailer should have stopped you even without any truck brake. You should always be able to reach down and grab the trailer brake lever to get is shutdown in a hurry. I use Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller which has realtime diagnostics. If the brake system shorts or goes open it displays the error immediately with no guessing. With a 1500 towing that large of a trailer you definately want to know the brakes are working right. This controller is around $80 at auto safety house or $125 at etrailer.com.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran

I have a Tekonsha primus. It's a good controller. I did fine, but knowing it wasn't there worried me.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Towing