3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5th Wheel Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Slava
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,
Can you please give me pros & cons of 5th wheel vs travel trailer? I never had 5th wheel nor travel trailer but I want something...not sure what :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Bent
Veteran

My previous post indicated the pros of a 5th wheel, the cons would be the opposites as associated with travel trailers, LOL.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Bent
Veteran

I guess a con for the 5th wheel trailer would be a considerable loss of cargo space in the box do to the hitch assy.
And, with the room that you do have left, don't put anything lighter than a cinder block or a 10-pin bowling ball in it.... Anything lighter will blow out once you are underway, she makes great winds.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 PM
RMorell

Originally Posted by pjordan4477
My '98 got 8 MPG pulling on the back roads of MO42 near the Ozarks in MO.

I don't expect much more with this truck (man I wish I would have landed a diesel).

I wanted to pull a boat behind the 5th Wheel...
That would be illegal and stupid. Yes I know people do it but doesn't change the facts.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

Hi
Here in the UK I have a Ram 1500 2wd 5.7 hemi towing a 28ft sun valley xtreme lite 5th wheel weighing in at 3300 kg fully loaded, im getting 12 mpg US thats around 15 mpg UK, i have no problems pulling the trailer its a breeze, Thinking of an lpg conversion which at 65 pence per litre UK should return an equivelent of about 28 mpg

Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Bent
Veteran

Any reason you know of why it's illegal?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:06 PM
RMorell

Towing multiple trailers is regulated by state laws. Individual states do allowing triple towing with restrictions. However, on interstate highways you are also subject to federal regulations and towing multiple trailers is illegal without a CDL and proper endorsement.

Link provided here provides state/province regulations. Scroll to the far right and see what license is required. Most require more than you average operator license.

Towing Laws Listed by State

Regardless of state laws it's still insanely stupid. Pick-ups are NOT designed to tow multiple trailers nor are most operators of pick-ups trained to tow multiple trailers. Every time I've seen someone try it I've seen that same someone piled up alongside the road. I actually blew one guys 2nd trailer over for him when I passed in my big truck going the opposite direction. I laughed right along with the cop who wrote him a ticket for towing more than one trailer.

Your insurance agent might have something to say about it too. Try explaining how you took a vehicle NOT designed to do something, did it, wrecked. Bet they won't laugh long before they say sorry, your policy doesn't cover idiocy.

By the way, my endorsements include doubles, tankers, hazardous materials.

Last edited by RMorell; 10-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Originally Posted by RMorell
That would be illegal and stupid. Yes I know people do it but doesn't change the facts.

It's neither illegal or stupid. You can pull 2 travel trailers behind you in 27 states.

Last edited by pjordan4477; 10-11-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran

This is getting off course, but since triple towing WITH A CUMMINS (not a half ton) is something I will do in the future here are the issues:

Triple towing is allowed in the following states:
•Alaska
•Arizona
•Arkansas
•California
•Colorado
•Idaho
•Illinois
•Indiana
•Iowa
•Kansas
•Kentucky
•Louisiana
•Maryland
•Michigan
•Minnesota
•Mississippi
•Missouri
•Montana
•Nebraska
•Nevada
•New Mexico
•North Dakota
•Ohio
•Oklahoma
•South Dakota
•Tennessee
•Texas
•Utah

Exceptions To The Rule
Nothing is ever straightforward and simple.
Many of these states have a variety of restrictions which could still hamper your ability to tow two trailers. For example, some states limit total length of all 3 units to 65 feet. In some instances, the limit is 70 feet or 75 feet total length. In some states, triple towing is restricted to adding the second trailer only behind a 5th wheel trailer (which is the only way to do it safely IMO). Many states limit the second trailer to recreational equipment, such as a boat, snowmobile, or ATV 4-wheelers.
In California you even need a special endorsement on your drivers license to tow any trailer over 10,000 lbs or to drive a motorhome that is over 40 feet in length.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 PM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Commercial triples are set up such that the air brake system continues on through all 3 pieces. The second trailer rides on a 5th wheel dolly, not a 2-inch chrome ball purchased at the local hardware store. Therefore, when commercial trucks apply the brakes, all wheels will apply at the same time with equal pressure.

Recreational vehicles may have air brakes on the motorhome, electric brakes on the first trailer, and in many cases no brakes at all on the third item being towed.

To that end, the federal D.O.T. doesn't want any part of regulating non-commercial situations. So, they leave it completely up to each state to set their own limitations. Just remember, seeing a semi truck pulling 2 trailers on or near an interstate highway does NOT mean you're good to go with more than one trailer.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Towing