3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

need help with battery its dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry need help with battery its dead

battery dies after truck sits for 3 days or is a cold night cranks real slow in the morning
-so one I have a red top optima (2nd 0ne return the other after 5 months)
-also I noticed my alternator is charging at 13.4 when i hit the gas no difference now on a load lights,ac, radio amps and subs it drops to 13.1 sometimes 12.9
so maybe a bad alternator? and disconnected the alarm and amps and still the same thing.
-so maybe i should do a dual battery setup???

Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take your alternator in for testing .
any draw when the truck is off?
pop the hood then to let it sit for 15 mins and not open doors etc so it will go to sleep then check the amp draw

Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM
jose13b
Veteran

thanks

Old 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
ridem high
Veteran

Also charge your battery,and have your battery load checked ,or do it yourself if you have a 12v load tester.This will verify if your battery is holding charge or not.If your battery holds charge after doing a load test,I would lean more to alternator failure....

Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM
ridem high
Veteran

I almost forgot!How many add-on accessories do you have on your truck?Fog lights,auxillary lights,dvd players etc.........You may be pulling more amps than your alternator is putting out.Do you have an accessory connected to direct power,instead of key switch power.This will apply constant load to your battery!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Dunno207
Professional

Might have a bad cell in the battery. How old is it and what brand? I know my last battery went bad only 4 months after I bought it, so you never know.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
jose13b
Veteran

optima red top 2nd one goes bad after 4 months i think am going to go with 2 battery's

Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive had Optimas before and they never seem to last long for me.

I know Ive said this before but I will put it out there for everyone else who may come along.

Our alternators voltage output is controlled by the PCM. But the PCM gets its info for how much voltage to regulate by the BTS (Battery Temp Sensor) which is a resistance variable 2-wire sensor on the bottom of the battery tray. That sensor is about $50 BTW.

But the BTS measures the battery's temperature and send a signal to the PCM when in turn lets the alternators voltage vary.

This is why most guys see thier voltage gauge in the truck higher in the winter when it is colder outside.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM
cjs4444
All Star

^ dude thanks i have always wondered that....makes total sense now...

as for OP i used to manage a stereo shop and we sold the red and yellow tops. I ran a red top for years then after about 5 years i needed a new one and that one ended up exploding on me. the lid popped off. I did some research and apparently they were making them in a different place or something because at the time they were having more and more problems. The yellows are great, but pricey, however a buddy of mine went to the local Interstate Battery battery store and they have an Interstate version of the yellow top. Its like $120 and they install it for free and the guy said if you dont like it bring it back he said the date didnt matter. My buddy got it for tailgating and he has quite a few things drawing from it so we will see how it does.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM
jose13b
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ive had Optimas before and they never seem to last long for me.

I know Ive said this before but I will put it out there for everyone else who may come along.

Our alternators voltage output is controlled by the PCM. But the PCM gets its info for how much voltage to regulate by the BTS (Battery Temp Sensor) which is a resistance variable 2-wire sensor on the bottom of the battery tray. That sensor is about $50 BTW.

But the BTS measures the battery's temperature and send a signal to the PCM when in turn lets the alternators voltage vary.

This is why most guys see thier voltage gauge in the truck higher in the winter when it is colder outside.
thanks bro you are the man I think am going with 2 batt.

Quick Reply: need help with battery its dead