3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2006 hemi quad cab goes 15.18

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
Why was the Challenger so slow? Was it a V6 model or something??
Yeah.....why dat???

Al.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, it was a stock auto V6 challenger driven by an older woman...

truckin, our best time was with all of the weight in...once we took some weight out, we had to fight with traction. as for preloading, ive been racing for 15 years with the mirada, demon, stratus, 94 ram and a handful of friends' cars and in every case, it has been beneficial to bring the rpms up prior to launch...but that is only the case if you can make use of the extra rpms. im my case, it only made the tires spin...but on the fastest run the truck also had the most weight in it, and she came out a shade harder without much wheelspin.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

That start is always the hardest. I used to own a '95 Vette 6-speed....the hardest part was the launch.......if the rpms were too low, you would bog. And too high, you would spin through 1st and 2nd! Meanwhile, the competition is waving goodbye....LOL
15.1 is pretty good for our big, heavy trucks.....

Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

ive been spoiled by having drag radials for the mirada, demon and 94 ram.. there was no concern of traction with anything but the mirada.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
freddy53
Amateur

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
That start is always the hardest. I used to own a '95 Vette 6-speed....the hardest part was the launch.......if the rpms were too low, you would bog. And too high, you would spin through 1st and 2nd! Meanwhile, the competition is waving goodbye....LOL
15.1 is pretty good for our big, heavy trucks.....
Ya that is a good time considering that about a month ago i took my 06 1500 Quad cab and my best time was 16.7 and that was completely stock. Now I have sc so it would be interesting to see how much that time that would cut but i dont think it would be near a 15.1

Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
yes, it was a stock auto V6 challenger driven by an older woman...

truckin, our best time was with all of the weight in...once we took some weight out, we had to fight with traction. as for preloading, ive been racing for 15 years with the mirada, demon, stratus, 94 ram and a handful of friends' cars and in every case, it has been beneficial to bring the rpms up prior to launch...but that is only the case if you can make use of the extra rpms. im my case, it only made the tires spin...but on the fastest run the truck also had the most weight in it, and she came out a shade harder without much wheelspin.
No I understand that, you have been racing much longer than I have, however every person who I have talked to about this, on other forums and even the guys that run at the track with me who range from the upper 12sec to low 14's (all running either a drag radial or slick) have all said that with their trucks (all 3rd gen rams) and the stock trans, preloading, even with a higher stall converter installed and slicks or DR's, has not proved benificial on any of their runs. It always has been more benificial to them (myself included) to have the rpms flash up to the stall when hitting the gas than it has been to preload it and thats going off ET's and a whole lot of trips to the track. Im not saying that its not benificail on any of your other cars, in most cases it is, but ET's with these trucks say differently.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

thats interesting...its a shame that the ram is my vehicle that i cannot make useless with mods like i have the other cars..lol it this truck would accept 15" rims and tires, i would have drag radials for it and see what it can really do...but they wont, and im not going to race it enough to warrant buying sticky tires..

hell, i still have the full stock exhaust on it.

the thing is, with the stock camshaft i can see wanting to come out around idle, as the power band is usually not far from idle for a regular street vehicle but what about the guys running big cams? Im not familiar with the camshaft options out there for the 5.7 hemi but if you shift your powerband up at all..say something similar to what i have in the mirada with a power band from like 3300-6500, leaving at idle (800-1000rpm) is going to kill the short time...i would think that the same would be true of a cammed hemi ram?

Last edited by BadStratRT; 09-21-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Hoosier makes a 28"x12"x17" slick, thats what I'll be picking up here towards the end of the year.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
ive been spoiled by having drag radials for the mirada, demon and 94 ram.. there was no concern of traction with anything but the mirada.
Unfortunately, that was with BFG Drag Radials! I actually pulled a 4th gear scratch with those on at the very end of the 1/4......I had a brand new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch at that time, so it pulled very strong.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great thread. Just gotta move it to the General section. I hope to put mine out on a dyno one day soon. Just got too many unexpected surprises that keep coming up.

Quick Reply: 2006 hemi quad cab goes 15.18