3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2006 hemi quad cab goes 15.18

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 hemi quad cab goes 15.18

So, this past weekend, we finally got our 2006 hemi quad cab laramie to the drag strip. Amanda was doing the driving and with full street weight (tailgate, jack, spare, random towing junk) and the gas light on, the truck went 15.18 @ 89mph. The track weight on that run was 5304lbs, so using a couple basic hp calculators, that trap speed and ET would give me around right around 300 wheel horsepower. figuring a 20% drivetrain loss, that would be around 375hp at the crank. my only mods are an ebay intake and a diablosport predator with the canned 93 performance tune. this was with a moderate preload on launched.

i absolutely know that the truck has more in it, but traction was shaky. on the second run we pulled the tailgate, spare and took everything out of the truck which i would guess pulled about 200lbs out of the truck, she tried to preload the truck and it just smoldered the tires and once those stock goodyears glaze up, theyre done for. she was in and out of it and even around the thousand foot mark it was still smoking the tires...it was quite a display.

on the last few runs, i put the tailgate back on and dropped the tire pressure down to around 32, and it woudl come off the line, but only at idle. launching at idle allowed her to run a 15.23 but the 60 foot time was much worse than the previous days short time on the 15.18 run.

this was the first time in probably 10 years that ive tried racing a vehicle that didnt have upgraded tires and what a mess. it really makes me appreciate the drag radials on the demon and mirada.

it seemed that the weight that we removed added enough weight to help the traction and when we removed the weight, it wouldnt bite. hopefully at some point, ill have some better tires so that we can launch the truck with some rpm behind it. im sure that it woudl go into the 14s...and the only real mod is the DSP.

Video and pictures to come.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

Oh, one more thing...

There were probably 8 or 9 2nd or 3rd gen rams in our class. We were the fastest of the 4 door trucks and the only post-94 ram that was faster than our truck was a early 3rd gen, RCSB with DRs that ran a 15.08. The other hemi quad cabs were all in the high 15s or low 16s.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i have one of the videos up...

here, the ram is racing against a (hopefully) stock 2010 Challenger with the Rallye Group package...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxTh...layer_embedded

Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

All stock?..real nice, but I'd give you a few more ponies to the rear. I'd say we're working with more loss than just 20%. DT loss is atleast 25% with stock TC and tranny. Unless you got a stick?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea way more than 20% loss. its close to 27% i think. but superchips has reduced that alot nice times none the less

Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice times.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

stock with the tuner and ebay CAI.

you know, I was going to say 25%, but I thought that people would complain that I was going too high on the drivetrain loss. in any case, im pleased with what the truck ran with so little work.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No 27% is about right, when I had mine on a dyno a couple years back it only put down 276/301 to the wheels and that was with the SC3815, CAI and open cutout.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I like to run in full street trim at the track because of the traction. The 305's will hold as long as I feather it off the line, if I hammer it or preload it to the converter I roast the tires. I'd figure that with yours being a good deal heavier and with a longer wheel base you shouldn't have had that much of an issue with spinning but then again the stock crap years have no traction to them. Hopefully I wil be able to get the set of hoosier slicks I've been looking at by the time it cools down here a bit more then I'll be having some fun.

Oh, after talking to a bunch of the guys that I usually go to the track with, they (along with myself) usually get better times by not preloading it, even on DR's the guys I go with get worse times preloading than they do just launching without.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:51 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Why was the Challenger so slow? Was it a V6 model or something??

Quick Reply: 2006 hemi quad cab goes 15.18