3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Winch In Truck Bed for atv Help??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
ram man17
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

is this taken through a mirror or something? the letters are all backwards lol

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ram man17
is this taken through a mirror or something? the letters are all backwards lol

No, I punched some stupid button on my camera which made my pics come out in mirror image until I recognized it...

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

hey Hammer. Can you post some more pics of your ramps. I want to make sure I know what they look like when I buy some online. Thanks dude

Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I'll try to find them online, I don't think I have any other pics and mine are hanging on the barn door up at the farm in Georgia. The ATV is locked in there as well. No sense having the ATV and ramps in two different places.

The brand of mine are Better Built, same company that makes truck tool boxes.

http://www.dawsbetterbuilt.com/products/bbc

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-22-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Matt99
Champion

yea I really like the curved ones...I have a set of the separate skinny curved ones and the foldup flat ones and I usually use the curved ones to get in the truck

Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
butch1581
Captain

Here is what I did:
http://butch151981.shutterfly.com/1167

I use it for my quad if I need to load it early in the morning and dont want to wake the neighbors, and also for loading my jetksi into the bed. Bighorn777 has a similar setup with a wireless winch......ooooh......ahhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by butch1581; 09-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Hatchetman925

I agree with Matt. Use a tow strap as a "crossmember". Or grow a pair and drive that beast right up in there with some ramps.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
JAWalker21
Professional

[QUOTE]Its not tall so the steep is very high. I have tryed riding it up a couple of times but didnt work. to steep.[QUOTE]

What do you mean by didn't work? I have a set of bifold ramps that I bought from CO-OP. They are short and the angle is steep. I have loaded my Honda Recon several times without any trouble. Its only a 250 so I would hope that your TrailBoss wouldn't have any trouble climbing that grade. The only trouble I have ever had was when the rubbers grips came off and the ramps slipped out from underneath the rear tires. I was lucky that it just sat on the back rack and stood straight up. From that point on I used rubber bungee cords to hold them on. I hooked one end to the ramps and the other to the tie down loops in the bed. They haven't fallen since. Make sure to do like Hammer said and lean your body weight forward to shift the weight onto the nose of the quad so you don't flip backwards.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
BigHorn777
Professional

Well, I use to drive mine up until I slammed into the back of my truck because of snow being in the box. I then said Hmmm, I wonder if I could put a winch in the back of the bed some how? Well, talked to my good buddy Butch and he said good idea and came up with the idea he has pictured. He didn't think he'd use it much, but as a great friend, he built one to try and it worked. I did the same as his, but modified mine so it was a little beefier and also added a Remote controlled winch to the equation. It works very well, just make sure the truck is running when you winch anything up as it draws a lot of current and pulls much better, it will pull it up with it off but it just slows the process down a little. I found some really nice power connectors at Fleet Farm in the Automotive section by the plow plugs. Here is a few photo's of mine. Oh the winch came from Harbor Freight and if you watch they do go on sale for like 60 bucks. My pictures don't show all the strut material behind the 2x6 but they are there to beef it up, I also added 1" square tubing in the box where the tie down hooks are and moved the tie down hooks outward by using longer bolts as you will see in the photo, and it is rock solid... Just make sure if you build use this idea to use the right gauge wire for the length you run to the battery/amps draw. Also it is a good idea to have the front tires up the ramp about 1/4 of the way so the cable don't rub the tail gate.... Good luck man I use mine all the time..
http://craigsgarage.shutterfly.com/pictures/150

Last edited by BigHorn777; 09-23-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I've got a good buddy with a lifted Cheby Z71 and an older quad that has manual shifting. His first gear is taller than my auto in high gear so he has a hell of a time stopping when he gets up enough speed to make the ramp grade to reach the back of his truck. His toolbox has about six good size dents in it, LOL.

We ended up making a frame out of 2"x8" pressure treated pine with a single center support that we slid in under his toolbox against the back of the bed. It sticks out about 6" past the toolbox. This acts as a "bumper" and stops his tires with the extreme front of the ATV stopping about 1.5" from his toolbox. As a side benefit, he now has two "storage bins" under his toolbox where he can put stuff without it sliding out and all around his bed.
I just shift my auto tranny into low gear and crawl up the ramps, myself but it's just a thought for you guys who can't stop when you get your ATV up into the bed and a relatively cheap (about $15 in parts) solution...

Quick Reply: Winch In Truck Bed for atv Help??