3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bull Guards

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM
cjs4444
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
BWhelan
Professional

Sweet, I'll check them out.

I've always been a fan of www.truckaddons.com myself.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM
cjs4444
All Star

Well compare the prices....

Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

I love my Bull Bar, mine came from Fleet Farm. I did have to make new mounting bracket to raise it up and allow me to pull it in tight to the bumper. It now goes through the lower air dam and is like 1/2 from the front bumper. Before the mod it went under the air dam and stuck out like 1 3/4" or more from the bumper. It looks much better now, not hanging low, and sticking out like a fat lip. I am much happier with the mod, although it did take some time, including pulling off the front bumper assembly to make the bracket fit and install longer bolts, but you can not beat a custom look. Install pic link below.
http://craigsgarage.shutterfly.com/pictures/132#132

Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
BWhelan
Professional

cjs, will do - thanks man.

BigHorn, that is a beautiful truck and I may have to see what I can do in terms of modifying mine as well.

I ended up buying one off e-bay. Cost me $135 +shipping. Pretty excited for it to come in, but have to wait for it to ship from CA to MA.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

good luck with the purchase, and thanks for the compliments. Please post a pic or two when you get it installed. If you have any questions on modifying the bull bar lemme know. Pm me and I can even take some more photo's if you need.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
BigTXRam
Professional

Is there any pros/cons on the ones that mount below the bumper to the bottom of the bull bar vs the ones that mount through the bumber to the middle of the bull bar. they look like they are mounted with the same kind of brackets just in dif spots and it seems the ones mounted on the bottom sit quite a bit lower. as far as one being tougher then the other is there any difference? what about the ones with the skid plates vs the ones with the bars. Im thinking about going with the one with the bars so i dont have to get the LP relocator(since it has to be displayed on both front and back of the veh in Texas) that way I can either drop a couple of lights there or behind the grill.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I LOVED my front grill guard I used to have. It was heavy and covered everything. But Im so high now that anything I run over is going to go under me anyway. But I do like the push bars or bull guards. You should have no issues installing one. They are not hard.
It would still have uses, you could hook your safety harness to it when you climb up to check the oil.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

The bull bar I have with the skid plate on it can be removed so it is just the bull bar. Then you do not have to relocate the LC plate. Here is Wisconsin we are suppose to have both also, I chose to just not abide by the law. I have not gotten stopped yet, when I do they will just tell me to put it back on... As far as strength goes, they are not a push bar if that is what your looking for. It is really only meant as a bling item.. Some companies designed the lower mount so people wouldn't have to cut any plastic. Only problem with that is it reduces your clearance in the front end.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 AM
BigTXRam
Professional

Well i wasnt intending to to be used as a pushbar, dont use the swing/bump gates anymore lol I figured it was more of a bling thing but i also want it to be somewhat sturdy and not fall off and go under the truck while im going 80 mph lol i guess worst case i can have some beefier brackets made.

Last edited by BigTXRam; 11-21-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Bull Guards