3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bull Guards

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM
BigHorn777
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No chance of this thing falling off. The brackets to mount them from the factory are like 1/4 plate steel and the bolts are 1/2" stainless with Nyla nuts. The new brackets I made were also cut from 1/4" plate steel, I copied the original bracket only shortened it by 3", I then put longer bumper bolts in (reason for pulling the bumper off in the pictures) and added some 1.5" spacers to pull the bar back as far as I could go. The bull bar is made of 1/8" light gauge 3" stainless pipe. Pretty light weight, however I have stood on it with no issues and would think that you'd be able to even bump into something with out harming it. However it would not stop anything at any speed or be able to be used as a hitch point for pulling.. Hope this helps you...

Old 11-24-2010, 04:55 AM
BigTXRam
Professional

yeah it does help. how difficult was it to make the new brackets? use anything special to make them. I dont have access to metal cutting/weilding tools so if its going to require all that, i think id be better off getting the one that mounts in the middle of the bullbar vs the one that mounts on the bottom. thanks again man

Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
It would still have uses, you could hook your safety harness to it when you climb up to check the oil.
Thats not a bad idea because i have to use an upside down bucket just to step up on the bumper and then over into the engine bay. Coming down gets scary because if you miss the bucket or hit its edge and it moves or flips over then my *** is on the ground. We have lot of safety harnesses at work so I might do a vid and show everyone how to climb down safely from a lifted rig.....

Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
BigHorn777
Professional

Was not that hard to make, but yes welding and cutting of plate steel is necessary. If you can get one to mount in the middle you'd be better off, provided you find the exact thing you'd like. Personally I like the girth and size of my bar vs some of the others that are much narrower, and the fact that I was able to go to a local store to buy it was a plus also. If you didn't want to make new brackets but know someone who has a welder you can always take the brackets it comes with cut some of the bracket length out and re weld to the length you'd like. Hope that makes sense, but then again you'd need a welder. I just opt'd to make a new bracket in case it didn't work or I didn't like it lifted so I could return it to the store. In the end as you see in the photo of my truck I liked the final result and kept it.

Hey Weeds I will stay posted for the video... Don't forget to show us how not to do it, a full blown wipe out would be really cool... Just kidding of course, I'd hate to see you get hurt but it would probably be really funny. I can not imagine working on the inside of your truck, you must need way more than a bucket. I'd be guessing your using a extension ladder. How the heck do you get that thing in your garage? That is one sick looking truck, I want your rims, lift, interior gadgets, well guess I just want your truck man... Start the filming man.... Cheers.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM
luckydt
Veteran

BigHorn i have a picture some where on my phone when we had a hurricane inbound i cleaned up the garage and managed to back mine in clearing the roof by 1/2" and the front and back have about 2 1/2"s to spare oh did i mention the wifes H3 was next to it. It was a tight squeeze and the neighbors were looking me like i was crazy when i backed mine in.

Quick Reply: Bull Guards