3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

power programmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
skipweathers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question power programmer

the more i read from all these threads, the harder it is for me to make a decision on which programmer to buy.

i've got an 06 ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 with around 80,000 miles on her. i've got a custom true dual cat back system with magnaflo mufflers, and k&n cold air intake. i had a throttle body spacer on it, but got tired of the whiste--so now its on a shelf in the garage.

just curious on everyones thoughts for a good programmer that i can get good hp gains,be able to diagnose the check engine light, and be able to change the speed limiter/rpm limiter. also wouldnt mind being able to have a low octane/good mileage tune.

i'm kinda thinkin of superchips vortex, but i have not ruled out bully dog-hypertech-diablo---or realy any brand. just wondering what everyone thinks and what has really worked for yall.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Simple, if you are not putting in big cams, and LTs and BV heads then just use a Superchips 3865.

If you want to get big mods like listed above then you need a tuner that can do custom tunes. Thats as simple as it gets

Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM
skipweathers

well, i was told the 3865 doesnt do anything with check engine lights. same guy told me the vortex does pretty much everything the 3865 does plus a little more... im not 100% sure how accurate this is tho.

the reason i say that is because my check engine light is on due to an o2 senser and egr valve -- both are getting replaced but i like the option to diagnose and also kill off the light.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Dont bother with the Vortex. If it was better then all these DR guys here would have one. The 3865 can do several canned tunes including both performance and mileage tunes, disable MDS for your 06, check/read CEL/MIL/DTC codes and tell you what they are. If you have a CEL light on the SC3865 will bring those up, read them and display what the codes are.

Quit listening to that other guy and get informed correctly. Superchips also has their own forums. Plus the SC3865 can do transmission tunes. IDK if the Vortex can do that or not.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 PM
gordie580
Professional

I got a hypertech, hyper pac and it is the worst tuner I have ever had. I can't change trasmision ship points, i program and the o2 sensor throws a code, and worst of all you have to lock that programmer on that vehicle. I wish i would have had a bully dog to try. I haven't heard anythign bad. I had an Edge before and they are great i dont know if they make them for 06 dodge as they dont make them for my 04.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Diablo Predator. Couldn't be happier. You can do custom tunes with it, although I haven't gotten to that point yet. I have just the canned tune. Better power, mileage, no more MDS. Shifts better.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:29 PM
jasonsram

is the diablo tuner the way to go for a cam hotter than sidewinder/comp 260? just gotta mate it with a wideband and datalogger?

Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 PM
ram15008

thinking of getting a power programer for my 08 1500 4.7 I seen that they have a tow mode option on them, so would that mean i would have to keep changing the tune everytime im towing something or do you just leave it in the tow tune. thanks

Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by ram15008
thinking of getting a power programer for my 08 1500 4.7 I seen that they have a tow mode option on them, so would that mean i would have to keep changing the tune everytime im towing something or do you just leave it in the tow tune. thanks
You can keep it on tow tune but you do not have to.

Originally Posted by jasonsram
is the diablo tuner the way to go for a cam hotter than sidewinder/comp 260? just gotta mate it with a wideband and datalogger?
For custom tuning. along with the cost for the wideband (Diablo Predator is the datalogger and tuner) you have to find a CMR tuner and pay them to actually write the custom tune for your vehicle.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

LT's, mild cam, bolt-ons, catback, CAI..No brainer Superchips 3865
The transmission tuning feature is worth it's weight in gold!!!
I had to return my truck back to stock when I went to the dealership..OMG the transmission was horrendous. You have no idea what you are missing out on until you have tried the custom trans features they have to offer which include Torque management and more. Diablo doesn't come close in this dept.
Wild cam, headwork, internal engine work...Diablo with a cutom written tune is what you would want, but you will lose the other features that are very desirable IMO.

I have the Superchips Cortex. I bought it soley for looks over the 3865 because I didn't want a red tuner. Not a fan of red at all, plus the gray matches my interior like I wanted. It does nothing more than the 3865. It's got an extended warranty that is void once you download the trans tuning feature and it covers a few more vehicles which doesn't make a bit of difference.

If you want anymore in depth coverage of what those 2 tuners are specifically capable of please visit the Stickies for both the Diablo and Superchips tuners at the top of the main page.

You shouldnt even be considering the Hyperjunk, Bullycrap or Jetcrap. They don't even compare. Not even in the same league.

Quick Reply: power programmer