3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

SRT power bulge hood ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

whistle noises from CAI's are a common thing. It just happens at a certain speed or RPM when the air pressure is right and is sucked across the intake at just the right time. Kinda just like blowing air over the opening of a bottle. Different speed and pressure makes different sounds or none at all.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Josh E
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
Also the scoop on the SRT's is NOT for a ram air affect, its a cooling/vaccuume affect instead that sucks hot air out of the engine bay

ahhhh......not sure i buy that because the hood actually has a kit for it that allows for the incoming air to dump into the stock located box thus creating ram air. IMO in order to aid in or to help suck warm air out of the engine compartment it would need to be along the lines of the older cowl hoods that are open at the back of the hood near he windshield. The SRT hood is closed off.

Good point weed, i was thinking along those lines to begin with.......just wanted to make sure there was nothing i was missing here

Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Josh E
ahhhh......not sure i buy that because the hood actually has a kit for it that allows for the incoming air to dump into the stock located box thus creating ram air. IMO in order to aid in or to help suck warm air out of the engine compartment it would need to be along the lines of the older cowl hoods that are open at the back of the hood near he windshield. The SRT hood is closed off.

Good point weed, i was thinking along those lines to begin with.......just wanted to make sure there was nothing i was missing here
Look it up, it is not functional as a ram air hood, it is a heat extractor hood, its the wrong shape/size/angle/ to be a ram air hood. Air flows over the opening which creates a vaccuume affect and sucks out heat from under the hood. For it to become a ram air hood the opening would need to sit up higher and be a bit larger like the venom hoods. Just because there is an aftermarket kit for it (aka not a mopar kit) does not mean that that was what it was designed to do.

Last edited by truckin151; 12-29-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
LazyLightning
Professional

Nice lookin truck, got a side shot?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Josh E
Professional

Originally Posted by truckin151
Look it up, it is not functional as a ram air hood, it is a heat extractor hood, its the wrong shape/size/angle/ to be a ram air hood. Air flows over the opening which creates a vaccuume affect and sucks out heat from under the hood. For it to become a ram air hood the opening would need to sit up higher and be a bit larger like the venom hoods. Just because there is an aftermarket kit for it (aka not a mopar kit) does not mean that that was what it was designed to do.

I've looked and searched and can't seem to find it being called a "heat extractor hood" Maybe you have a secret spot, i dunno, but heres what info i have to go by and with the air director hooking it up to a sealed box, to me it makes all the sense in the world of it being an actually ram air hood. I do grant you on the part of the venom hood though....it's probably gonna have more air flow, if you will, but my hood is OEM and it's steel and that to me is worth it's weight in gold.

When you want a name you can count on use Mopar OEM...........

Hood is shipped primed, ready for paint. Excellent quality and value. Optional Ram Air System (sold separately) routes all the cool air your 5.7L Hemi Ram can pull in through the SRT-10 Style Ram Air Hood for maximum performance gains. Creates a ram air effect at speeds of 40+ mph. Constructed from lightweight materials and installs directly with minor modifications.

Give your truck a unique and sporty look by adding a eye-catching Mopar Viper Hood. This is the same hood as is standard equipment on the Dodge Ram SRT10. Functional hood scoop allows air to flow directly into the engine compartment.

RAM AIR PACKAGE

Creates a ram air effect at speeds of 40+ mph. Integrates seamlessly to the underside of an SRT10 Ram Air Hood to route cool outside air into the included Performance Cold Air Intake System. Constructed from lightweight material and installs directly with minor modifications. CARB EO#D-265-23.
RAM AIR DUCT

This duct routes all the cool air your Ram can pull in through the SRT Ram Hood (MP-82208702) over to the Cold Air Intake System (MP-77060005AB) for maximum performance gains.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Josh E
Professional

Originally Posted by LazyLightning
Nice lookin truck, got a side shot?

Thank ya. I have posted a few on the thread 05' SRT-10 4x4

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Hope you find what is causing the sound.

Last edited by SLT8; 12-30-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to be a newby and not listen to veteran ram owners that have been on the forums for years....do a lil more research or hell with it you know it all....

Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Josh E
Professional

Originally Posted by jusjay727
way to be a newby and not listen to veteran ram owners that have been on the forums for years....do a lil more research or hell with it you know it all....

Never said i knew it all did i bub, i just have what is to me factual information about the hood. I didn't post this thread for someone like you to start hammering on me, i simply was wondering if anyone had heard of this hood making noises....thanks again everyone for what help you have given

Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never said i knew it all did i bub, i just have what is to me factual information about the hood.
from the last several posts you dont wanna even listen to what the other members give you for advice. you still believe what some advertisement is trying to sell you on the products listed. i'm positive this has been talked about in the past, and guys have gone thru exactly what you are.

I didn't post this thread for someone like you to start hammering on me,
im not hammering im just stating what my opinion is on the posts in this thread.

i simply was wondering if anyone had heard of this hood making noises....thanks again everyone for what help you have given
and replies you got, and valid ones they are.

Quick Reply: SRT power bulge hood ?