3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nitto's Or BFG's

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 PM
CaptainBrendan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto's Or BFG's

Ordering some 35x12.5 R17's. Can't decide between the Nitto Mud Grapplers and the BFG Mud Terrain 's. Just poking around trying to get some input. Also wondering anyone getting over 40k on either of these. I Know Nitto offers some BS warranty. Had my mind set on BFG's but wanna get some input

Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Between those two, I would definitely go with the BFG's. The Mud Grapplers are very noisy and wear quickly. The BFG's are fairly quiet for a M/T and can last a long time if properly rotated. My roommate has them on his Ram and has probably 36k miles on them now. They will need to be replaced soon, but I don't think 40k is too bad for a M/T that has been driven primarily on the hwy.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ain't no way you are getting 40k out of either tread wise, the Nitto is a great off-road/mud tire but if this is a daily driver you'll kill them on pavement. They are also a VERY noisy tire, which could be either bad or good depending on how you look at it.

You won't have to worry about the BFGs tread lasting 40k cause it'll cup on you and the belts will separate by 35k.

As far as the mud capability, at the deep south mud bogs I see Boggers, Baja Claws and Mud Grapplers all the time, I have yet to see a set of BFGs...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-28-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Terra Grappler and they're a great tire. I know it's not the same tire but Nitto is a good company and makes quality tires.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM
CaptainBrendan

Sorry meant Trail Grappler not mud. Hammer why do you say that about BFG's. I use to have them on my Bronco's but the A/T and loved them. Is it the BFG company or the mud terrain model you are talking about with the cuping

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CaptainBrendan
Sorry meant Trail Grappler not mud. Hammer why do you say that about BFG's. I use to have them on my Bronco's but the A/T and loved them. Is it the BFG company or the mud terrain model you are talking about with the cuping

He's always talkin trash about BFG's... anti-goodwrench!

I have had several sets of BFG's, A/T's and M/T's and had nothing but excellent performance from both. No issues whatsoever. Perform well and have great tread wear.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Two sets of BFGs, both A/Ts, both cupped, one had belt separations. Finally after the BFG store kept blaming my truck, I bought a set of Mickey Thompsons. Never changed a thing on the truck. Mickey's ran perfectly for the next three years till I sold the truck. Now, was it the truck?

I fished bass tournaments for years and sat around with a slew of 4x4 truck and SUV owners shooting the sh*t and no tires got bashed more than BFGs and Goodyears by people who use their trucks as trucks. I also get more guys in my hunting club come up to me and say "man, I should have listened to you" after buying a set of BFGs.

So yeah, I'm not a BFG fan.

But if you like 'em, get 'em. BFG and Goodyear are two brands that you see people either love or hate, there is no in the middle with these two brands. Plenty of good reviews out there...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Boo Radley
Professional

nitto anything beats bfg anything everytime! i work at a dealership and see more bad bfgoodridge tires than any type. way overpriced for a tire that is no better than a no name at half the price.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Two sets of BFGs, both A/Ts, both cupped, one had belt separations. Finally after the BFG store kept blaming my truck, I bought a set of Mickey Thompsons. Never changed a thing on the truck. Mickey's ran perfectly for the next three years till I sold the truck. Now, was it the truck?

I fished bass tournaments for years and sat around with a slew of 4x4 truck and SUV owners shooting the sh*t and no tires got bashed more than BFGs and Goodyears by people who use their trucks as trucks. I also get more guys in my hunting club come up to me and say "man, I should have listened to you" after buying a set of BFGs.

So yeah, I'm not a BFG fan.

But if you like 'em, get 'em. BFG and Goodyear are two brands that you see people either love or hate, there is no in the middle with these two brands. Plenty of good reviews out there...

I know, I totally understand. First hand experience is as good as you can get, and first hand experience from friends you know and trust is d@mn good too. I think you hit the nail on the head with people either love 'em or hate 'em.

I, though, cant bash BFG at all from any of my personal experience, nor do any of my close friends and relatives who also use BFG. My father and father in law, brother and brother in law and a few other friends have all used the A/T (and still currently do) with good results and no issues. I have used the a/t's and m/t's under my 2nd gen and never had a single issue with wear problems... not a single cup at all anywhere on any of the tires. Absolute perfect wear actually. But, I also check tire pressure and rotate religiously.
And the Goodear MTRs I had were a kick *** tire too, without a single issue.

But, I do get mixed feelings when reading about posts such as yours. Maybe I will have to try something else for once. I am in the market here for a new set soon.... hmmmmm.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

I just talked to my roommate, his BFG M/T's have over 40k on them. There are some minor cracking here and there, but they have been on his truck for about 5 years now. He said that he had his truck lifted and the tires mounted (we had both of our trucks lifted and tires at the same time) around the 55-60k mile mark, and his truck just rolled over 105k miles this week with the same lift/tires. His truck is a 4.7L and he drives like an 80 year old man, but I would say that 40+k on an M/T is nothing to sneeze at.

Quick Reply: Nitto's Or BFG's