3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nitto's Or BFG's

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mickey MTZs on my hunting partner's truck with somewhere around 42k on them, easily get another 15-20k out of them and I don't think the lazy sh*t has ever rotated them...

Name:  0331001302.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  101.4 KB

Old 12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
JDG103
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running the BFG Mudd Terrain KM2's....i currently have 50,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread left on them and they ride real smooth on the hwy too. the nitto muds wear bad and sometime u have to replace them every year

Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 PM
jonboys33

I had the Nitto Trail grapplers on my old yukon and I loved em, less noise long tread life and the go any where and look awesome doing it.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by JDG103
im running the BFG Mudd Terrain KM2's....i currently have 50,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread left on them and they ride real smooth on the hwy too. the nitto muds wear bad and sometime u have to replace them every year

yep, I got two guys in my hunting club, twins who are I'd say in their mid-twenties. There grandma is LOADED and a couple of years ago bought them matching Ford F250 diesels, ordered them identical except for color.
They get a NEW set of Mud Grapplers EVERY YEAR, just before hunting season.
I'd say they put about 20k a year on their trucks. I'm not saying the Mud Grapps are bald when they replace them, but most of there usable life is over. Great tire when they have tread, they'll get out of spots your KM2s and my Cepeks would bog right down in, but they don't have tread for long if you run 'em on pavement...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-29-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Matt99
Champion

you changing it from mud grapps to trail grapps makes a huge difference. I had BFGs A/Ts at 70k before I got new ones. I really liked them, and they performed great.

The BFG M/Ts are quiet and supposedly wear fairly well too. But they are kinda high also. Ive never personally heard a bad story about them.

The nitto trail grapplers are fairly new but really popular. They look great and are pretty quiet, perform well and arnt too high. I havent seen any with high mileage so no comment on that.

If I were you I would look at the Fierce Attitude M/Ts. My tire guy loves them and I would have gotten them if they made them in a 20. Half the price of the KM2s at some places and my tire guy said he sees them w 50k all the time. Thats what he recommends for the high mileage private welding trucks

Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
LazyLightning
Professional

Them original goodyears that came w/my truck cupped at 24k. Got a set of terra grapps and seem like a good tire so far, course I've only got 2k on these!

I wont get goodyears again. Tho, dont "they" recommend you get new tires every 5 or 6 yrs regardless? Probably just tire co. propaganda!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
dave-o
Veteran

i was in the same situation as you, i ordered the trail grapplers, but they were on back order. I cancelled the order and I ended up getting pro comp xtreme mud terrain with 40k mile warranty

Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by olyelr
I know, I totally understand. First hand experience is as good as you can get, and first hand experience from friends you know and trust is d@mn good too. I think you hit the nail on the head with people either love 'em or hate 'em.

I, though, cant bash BFG at all from any of my personal experience, nor do any of my close friends and relatives who also use BFG. My father and father in law, brother and brother in law and a few other friends have all used the A/T (and still currently do) with good results and no issues. I have used the a/t's and m/t's under my 2nd gen and never had a single issue with wear problems... not a single cup at all anywhere on any of the tires. Absolute perfect wear actually. But, I also check tire pressure and rotate religiously.
And the Goodear MTRs I had were a kick *** tire too, without a single issue.

But, I do get mixed feelings when reading about posts such as yours. Maybe I will have to try something else for once. I am in the market here for a new set soon.... hmmmmm.

Honestly, if you find a tire and have really good success with it, stick to it. Unless your in need a different type of tire.

I have had tremendous success with Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires and probably rave them too much. BUT I'm 43 and have had something like 7 full size 4x4s or SUVs since before I even got my license, so I've had a slew of tires and I really haven't had anything last or perform like their tires (and three different models with similar results).

It's finally seasonable here with temps in the mid-70s and overcast today. Perfect day for a wash & wax. So I took the liberty of snapping a phone pic or two after sitting down to scrub the brake dust off my wheels.
Keep in mind this is at 31k miles:

Name:  1231001211.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  1231001213a.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  73.6 KB

Now I know they ain't cheap, probably 3/4 of the people I recommend take a look at a MT or DC tire tell me ain't no way they are going to spend that kinda money on tires, but everybody who does, be it hunting buddy or someone on a forum, comes back and tells me how happy they are with them.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Really. A beer top for a gage. Hahahahahahahah!

Yeah, my roommate a few years back had a set of those on his Dodge and I'm pretty sure he got up wards of 60k miles out of them. I also remember him getting a brand new set for free... something about a recall. Nothing was wrong with the set he had, but for whatever reason the place he purchased them from notified him and gave him a brand new set. Only b!tch was he had to return the set he originally purchased, dang it.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah it was certain tires from a single plant, in Mexico I think. Something about a Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek corporate inspection found them doing something wrong in the manufacturing process. It was right around when I got mine, cause I remember my buddy who owns the auto repair/tire shop I get them from both making sure from his distributor when he ordered them for me and checking the serial number when they came in to make sure mine were not part of the recall.

Wasn't too long ago, maybe a year or so that somebody on DT read about the recall, like two years and about 40k miles after he bought he set. Checked the serial number and they were on it and still got a new set for free...

Quick Reply: Nitto's Or BFG's