3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Warm-up Idle Article

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidonmars
Also I dont know if its normal but when its cold like below zero my truck takes a while to engage overdrive, not sure if its cause the tranny has to come up to temp?
There's a filter on the return side of the trans cooler that may have a bad checkvalve that is allowing the fluid to drainback into the pan from the torque converter. The newer design filters without the AB suffix at the end of the part number prevent this. The only negative effect of the older designed filters was they took longer to engage. No other bad effects.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
harby
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=davidonmars;2377123]Windchill doesnt affect vehicles though!! [quote]

Can you explain how you come to this conclusion? If there is wind at low temps there is windchill...... so surely a car can be chilled further byt he wind?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Windchill is the effect wind blowing by has on human skin, the moisture evaporates around the skin creating a cooling effect. However, it does seem that vehicles kept out of the wind, even without heat, start better.

When it's more than 10 degrees below freezing outside I let my truck warm up for 10-15 mins, enough to make the coolant gauge go up a bit. I put it in neutral as well to help the transmission warm up a bit. Plugging in a block heater helps for easier starts, and oil will circulate through the motor faster off startup

Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Machines don't feel wind chill. The transmission is designed to stay out of O/D until the temps have come up. Warm-up for the vehicle's sake is a waste. It'll warm faster working than idling. If I let mine idle for ten minutes, it's barely off the "cold" peg. If I drive it those ten minutes (1/2 way to work), it's well warmed up and giving me nice warm air in the cab.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
slimvela
Professional

Since the article is speaking of winter I'll stick with that.

As Dirty stated, I warm up the fluids and start the vehicle in motion when I see the temp begin to rise. Besides, I don't like to go from a warm comfortable house into a rolling ice box either. ;-)

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
akguy09
Default winter warm up

I live in Alaska and when the ambient temperature is -50 you must let it warm up. There is no way you could just start it and go. Belts must have some time to warm up and fluids needs some temperature before you can just start "working" the engine too much.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by davidonmars
Windchill doesnt affect vehicles though!! Although I do warm my truck up for like 10 minutes... If i drive it like 30 seconds after startup on a day where its freezing I can literally watch my fuel gauge drop, and I freeze my *** off!! Also I dont know if its normal but when its cold like below zero my truck takes a while to engage overdrive, not sure if its cause the tranny has to come up to temp?
It sure does if you are parked into the wind, which my truck always is the way my crescent is!!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Marx
Record Breaker

i let my truck warm up so i can see thou the windshield lol and so i don't freeze my *** off, I can't see how idling can hut an engine, that part makes me laugh

we should run this by the guys way up in northern Canada that leave there diesels running 24/7 because if they turn them off they will never start again lol

Last edited by Marx; 01-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Marx
Record Breaker

just found this online lol

Eight Facts About Warming Up Your Car in Winter.

1] It’s harder to drive a vehicle when your teeth are chattering.

2] Blower fans create wind chills

3] If your windows aren’t defrosted you can’t see the road or pedestrians

4] When your windows freeze up and you can’t get them down you create a hazard getting toll tickets to enter the highways

5]If it’s snowing your window wipers will instantly freeze ice on a window that is not properly defrosted.

6]When your whole body is shaking from the cold your attention to the act of driving is reduced.

7]Ice encrusted windshield wipers are less likely to work.

8] It’s cold out ~ Warm up that car - unless you drive an old VW bug ~ The heater won’t work anyways. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

I like everyone's input on this.. I know there are extreme conditions such as those up in the big country north of the U.S., but I think that this article was probably written by a Prius driving hippie. Sure, the vehicle may run in closed loop for a while until it reaches an operating temperature, but that goes for any computer controlled vehicle any time of the year.

I'm glad it has sparked some humor/interest on this forum, because I think some of this information can be helpful to some. I use my remote start just about every day in the winter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quick Reply: Warm-up Idle Article