3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

new mod ideas and want some input

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 AM
mike_r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look over at MP3car.com Their forms are perfect for what you're looking to do. They have a market for cool power supply's and such. You can run a full bore desktop off of a since 12 volt line. The special power supply will keep the computer running for how ever long you want. It's perfect for when you're making a quick stop. Then you won't have to wait for it to boot up again. You can see what other people are using for software and hardware. It's a great site.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well guys I got my inventory list together and have ordered 95% of everything. Here is the list.

9" touch monitor
ECS A740GM-M Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor - 2.50GHz
2gb Crucial 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Ram
Masscool CPU Cooling Fan
Ultra 4 Channel Fan Controller
Toshiba 1Tb HDD
5.1 Asus Xonar DG Sound Card
Silicon Graphics Microphone
GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF III USB GPS receiver
Bluetooth mini keyboard
Bluetooth OBDII ELM
2 Bluetooth USB dongles
OBDII splitter
802.11B/G USB dongle

I want to add a SSD but they still are not cheap. Im not sure if i trust the Chinese made and copied ones.....lol

All of this will be in my new custom center console. I havent decided fully but Im sure my AC controls will get relocated as well as my lower pocket. There will be new switch panels and more control over everything.

The ODBII Bluetooth ELM will be used to provide PCM/Canbus data for monitoring to the PC. I have several pieces of software I am going to try. Although my Trinity does all of this, I dont like having a $600 in the window.

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION NEWB!!!!!!

j/k I found this thread that you had posted in, but maybe it could help some how. idk.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-truck-16.html
Now just how in the hell are you going to show me a thread I have been in multiple times?

Originally Posted by popdog
If it were me, I woulda look for a windows tablet powdered by nvidias tegra 2 and install it into the dash. You can get one with wifi, hdmi, bluetooth, etc. And the tegra 2 can handle 1080p smoothly. The other advantage here is that you'll end up with a device with a touchscreen optimized to work with it - a capacitive screen rather than resistive. You can also bluetooth a keyboard up to it. I don't see why it wouldn't do anything you need it to do.
Tablets are nice. I had an Archos 101 16gb 10" tab but they are not as powerful as a desktop. There are times it would bog down to a crawl. Not cool.

Originally Posted by popdog
Don't be so quick to discredit the new tablets of 2011.

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pa...dded-05106028/

With a data connection, HDMI, 500GB of cloud storage, bluetooth, and sd card expansion there can very well be a tablet coming out within the next few months that can suit his needs. The tablets will be touch-screen optimized and the Tegra 2 is a BEAST of a mobile chip. It can play 1080p fluidly, run modern 3D graphics - it's no slouch and you can have a lag-free experience.

The SDXC standard is also gaining more traction and we may see up to 1TB SDXC cards within the year. Would it be the cheapest solution? No. Would it be the sexiest? I think so.
Again, they are nice and cool but far from replacing a netbook/laptop and far more away from coming close to the power of desktop components.

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
dont knock a tablet till u try it...
I had one and sold it. Thats how much i liked it.

Originally Posted by SeanW727
you dont have to run windows... To be honest id probably end up running an all in one mediaplayer/navi program.... Not sure yet.... Getting ideas together now... of course im gonna rob some of weeds ideas too, because his are usually pretty solid.
Check out Ride Runner and Centrafuse. I have both and will try them and see why i like best. A lot of guys run Linux as the OS but Im just not a Linux kinda guy.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Not to throw this thread off, but I've been contemplating ditching my aftermarket 8 track and finally taking the "plunge" to cassette. Kinda sucks cause that means I'll have to buy the White Album all over again. Thoughts???
Now thats some funny **** chit right there.

Originally Posted by truckin151
Have you already or thought about building a center consol to replace the middle seat up front and extending it all the way to the dash? Hollow it out and build yourself a tower inside the consol and then wire up a screen into the face of the dash. Relocate the cup holders to the consol and move AC controls to the cubby under it. Add out puts coming out of the consol for your ports, and a CD/DVD ROM drive somewhere on it, vent holes to the sides with fans for cooling, work in a slide out key board that is hidden and figure something out for a mouse or finger a pad like laptops have and call it a day. A LOT of work and fab time but would be sweet when finished.

Only real thing that would concern me is the outside temps, here at least in the summer it can get to over 140*+ inside the cab when parked outside and that wouldnt be good, in humid areas the humidity wouldnt be to great either and extreme cold areas would be the same.
yeah, I sold my center seat and console some time back with the idea of doing a custom console with another sub and amp. I also have a B&M Quicksilver ratcheting floor shifter I will be putting in. Of course I think I will drop the amp and sub for this new project.

I already have plans to relocate a few things and I have new stainless steel cup holders to go in. As for cooling, I will have some 4" 12v fans in the console. Two will be intake and the other will be exhaust. I have a 4 channel fan controller on the way. Plus there will be the CPU fan and HDD cooling fans. As for the keyboard, I bought a mini bluetooth KB that is about 5" long and has a mouse stick on it.

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
Well... lol. I was just messing with my cup holder seeing how it mounts and everything.... Well i broke the two top tabs off. lol.

So I am considering making a ipad mount right there.

What do you all think? I Would upgrade my factory head unit (again) to something that allowed for an audio input and run it out of the headphone jack or something along those lines. Have a power plug in built in and if I need internet pop up a wifi network with my phone. Free GPS

What do you think about that?

Sorry to thread jack weed, but it is sorta relevant.
No worries, I will delete your post now........LOL....J/K

I have an extra console if you are interested. Its sitting against the wall in the living room collecting dust. LMK.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
9" touch monitor
ECS A740GM-M Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor - 2.50GHz
2gb Crucial 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Ram
Masscool CPU Cooling Fan
Ultra 4 Channel Fan Controller
Toshiba 1Tb HDD
5.1 Asus Xonar DG Sound Card
Silicon Graphics Microphone
GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF III USB GPS receiver
Bluetooth mini keyboard
Bluetooth OBDII ELM
2 Bluetooth USB dongles
OBDII splitter
802.11B/G USB dongle
I'm curious about your choice of motherboard. Besides the obvious reasons of cost and/or availability, why are you going with an older board with DDR2 memory and 1000 mhz FSB? For roughly the same price, you can get a similar board with 2600 mhz FSB and DDR3, both of which are going to make a big difference in an application like this. I realize the cpu and ram will be a little more expensive, but both of those are easy enough to swap later when you can find a sweet deal on faster pieces.

I want to add a SSD but they still are not cheap. Im not sure if i trust the Chinese made and copied ones.....lol
I agree, they are still too high. But personally, I would give the following a shot (or something similar) and use it for the operating system & applications only. It will wake up & boot noticeably faster than the 1tb toshiba. Switching between any apps will be faster as well. You can configure your apps to use your big drive to store everything, but load from the ssd.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139428

Just my .02

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well I got a deal on the MoBo and CPU. i was looking at a 2.8Ghz quad core and just really didnt see the need for it since Im not doing anything heavy with this system

But overall, here is the parts list

So I picked up a few parts for my new project

I got a ECS A740GM-M Motherboard and AMD Athlon X2 4850B (dual core 2.5ghz)
(1) Crucial 2Gb of RAM
(1) Masscool 5F9001B1H3 CPU Cooling Fan
(1) Ultra 4 Channel Fan Controller
(1) Asus Xonar DG Sound Card
(1) USB Powered Mimo 9" monitor
(1) GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF III USB GPS receiver
(1) BT mini keyboard with mouse pad
(1) BT ODBII (ELM327)
(2) BT USB dongles
(1) 4 port USB header
(1) Wireless USB 802.11 B/G
(1) WD 500Gb HDD (SATA)
(1) OPUS 180w PSU
(5) 6ft USB extension cables
(2) 3.5mm to RCA adapters
(1) VGA to RCA adapter

So I bought (5) 6ft USB extension cables. Thats to extend and connect the monitor (2), the GPS (1) and two stand-alone USB ports for external devices or cell chargers. That leaves one extra USB cable just in case.

The BT dongles will connect the ODBII and wireless KB which I have already tested and work.

The wireless USB 802.11 stick will get wireless to the PC from my rooted Droid X. I also have Torque which is a OBDII software that can BT connect to the BT OBDII adapter.

I already have several OBDII software for the PC I can use and have Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010

The 5.1 sound card is PCI so that ties up one of two of my PCI slots. The other slot goes to the 4 port USB header.

Ive got (2) 3.5mm to RCA adapters and RCAs already in the truck from my current system.

I have 4 extra 80mm fans I will use as 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust air.

I also picked up a VGA-to-RCA adapter so I can hopefully get video to my other 4 screens. I have two in the sun visors and 2 in the head rests.

I THINK that covers everything. WHEW!!

Now my Qs are these.

1. With the 5.1 sound card, if i take one 3.5mm adapter and plug it into the front or rear channel and then run RCAs to the amp for the doors. I know that will get me sound there. But if i take the OTHER 3.5mm adapter and plug it into the sub channel, will I get audio out of that to my sub amp or not. All my music is obviously downloaded albums in MP3 format. I always try to get 320kbps but they are all 2 channel of course.

2. How do I go about mounting the MoBo to console? Ive worked on tons of PCs but never built one. My biggest concern and question are my grounds for the MoBo and HDD. can someone please explain that for me?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But if i take the OTHER 3.5mm adapter and plug it into the sub channel, will I get audio out of that to my sub amp or not.
My guess would be yes. I've used 5.1 systems and besides audio samples that were encoded in 5.1, I've never had any music that was true 5.1 and my audio always came out of the sub channel.

You should have a few options in the configuration software for the sound card. If nothing else, you can probably run a 2.1 config and split the front outputs. I think you'll be able to get something to work.

2. How do I go about mounting the MoBo to console? Ive worked on tons of PCs but never built one. My biggest concern and question are my grounds for the MoBo and HDD. can someone please explain that for me?
Not sure what kind of case you're using, but cases have a plate attached to the bottom of the case. There are little mounds that stick up. You use mobo screws (top right of pic) and screw the male end into the case. Those (5 or so) screws act as a platform (with female ends up) to sit your mobo on. Then you screw regular screws through the top of the mobo hole into the female ends of the mobo screws. Sometimes little plastic tabs are used as well (top left of pic).

If you're fabbing a custom case, you can probably find a plate for a Micro ATX case. Otherwise, the plastic pieces might be easier. Although in a truck, you might want the screw connection. You don't want any part of the the bottom of the mobo (besides the mounting spots) to touch anything.

As far as I understand, the motherboard will get its ground from the atx power supply connector(which will get its ground from your power source). Anything attached to the board will get ground from the ground supplied to the connector.

Keep us posted...sounds like a fun project!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

THX bro. That makes more sense. My MoBo and CPU should be here today so I will look and see what all hardware comes with it. I wasnt going to use a case but rather just get some stainless from work but I might just go ahead and get a small microATX case and cut it up.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 AM
SeanW727
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weed Any Update? Hows it going? Havent had a chance to check in for a while but saw this while browsing craigslist today. seems like hes asking a tad too much but still good ideas.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/2257042731.html

Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive been collecting parts and material. I got my plunge router and my bits i need. But a lot of my time has been either out of town on weekends or doing bezels and other projects for guys through the week. But I will start doing my new bezel for my 9" screen here soon.

That link you gave is got an 06+ Ram. Nice but 17 is WAY too much and I doubt that is even a touch screen. Thats just a monitor which would be no good for me.

Quick Reply: new mod ideas and want some input