3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Winch and home made hidden mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM
artyart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'd go at least grade 5s. I did a grill/winch mount for a friend with an '02 Ram and the mounting hardware didn't match up so I drilled the frame and cut a few pieces of thick flat stock and used them on the backside of the holes as backplates. Worked out fine...
Interesting, with a through bolt like that I would be concerned that a real hard pull might distort or crush the frame rail a bit (stranger things have happened) ;-)

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I wish I knew how to fabricate stuff like this. And I wish I had a winch lol

Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 PM
BWhelan
Professional

Good Looking setup! My concern is also around the body of the truck though. For instance, if you were in a ditch and had to pull yourself up and out, the rubbing of the cable could really screw your front end body work.

Any thoughts on adding a tub to the current setup to limit the damage it could do to the body? - Something that the cable could rub against and keep it away from the body.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM
atv1988
Amateur

I Kinda Figured that for a good spot for a winch every time I've been under my truck just havnt gotten the motivation to make one fit until now

Old 01-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Cody Messer

I know, old thread, proof I use search!

I am planning a winch mount similar to this, and I get the overall mounting point design, but I would like to see more of the plate holding the fairlead on. Do you have any other pictures? Also, after all these years, hows it holding up?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Winch and home made hidden mount