3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bestop Soft Camper shell

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
unrealtrip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Soft Camper shell

So I got one of these for my truck, thought I'd throw a few details about it out there in case anyone else is considering one. I can snap some pictures in a little bit and post if anyone is interested.

Build quality:
Actually pretty good, very much like their tops for Jeeps, I've had one on my Wrangler for the last 6 or so years and have no major complaints. The frame itself is pretty stout, as is the fabric and window material. You will get 5 years of regular use out of it with ease.

Water resistance:
Doesn't come factory seam sealed, weird I know, but once you seal the stitching in the front it has no leaks to speak of.

Noise:
Pretty much silent when properly tensioned I don't hear it at all.

Design:
Pretty ok. The window nearest the cab does not come out. There is no option to roll up the rear window and secure it in the up position, not that you can't fab up some straps real easy, but it just doesn't come that way like it does on Jeeps. On the Ram our truck beds are not a perfect box, they flare out as they approach the cab (FU Dodge) So in order to have a shell that would fit multiple trucks, their "Dodge" shell sits to the inside of the rail on the front, and square in the middle in the rear. Essentially, the front stake pocket is totally visible and the rear is covered, making it look funny from the outside, something worth considering because NO photos online show this and you don't realize it until you go to install the thing.

Price:
At about $575 shipped, no topper can compete and the softop has its own obvious advantages (and disadvantages).

pros:
  • You can remove it entirely with ease by yourself, and I have.
  • You can fold it up on itself towards the cab, very, very nice feature.
  • You can buy zip in screen windows to replace the plastic ones, though I've not seen where to buy these.

Being able to remove it, or install it entirely by myself in about 20 minutes is a huge boon, also the fact that in 5 minutes, I can pull the windows and fold it down, also by myself is huge. I can fold it down, load a couch, get to where I'm getting and put it back up again, SUPER handy. One of the things I hate about hardshell shells (I had one on my last truck) was that it was awesome until I needed it out of the way, in which case it became a huge PITA to remove and store. This thing removes with ease, folds flat and stores in almost no space. You do need to be gentle on the windows, but that aside, it is a solid top and on a scale of 1 to 4 I'd give it a 3. There are some things I don't like about it, especially how it sits in towards the cab which has no functional impact but I don't like how it looks, and a few other minor little things noted above, but overall its a good top and I would recommend it.

For the price, you cannot beat it.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
kjun
Professional

Thanks for the write up. I've been considering this myself for the ease of taking it down and putting it up. I like having a topper but use my bed quite a bit. This top seems like a good compromise.

Pics would be awesome.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
mark70669
Professional

Pics please... sounds neat,

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM
unrealtrip

Ok I snapped a few pictures this morning, here you go.

Here's what it looks like from the side:
Bestop Soft Camper shell-cambz.jpg

Back to front:
Bestop Soft Camper shell-trrun.jpg

Note how it has to sit to the inside of the rail up front:
Bestop Soft Camper shell-xr47a.jpg

A closer view of that "issue". Note that because the stake pocket is exposed, water will get in through the factory hole unless you tape or plug it.
Bestop Soft Camper shell-ovtxe.jpg

At the cab, it is hard to make out but there actually is a small gap:
Bestop Soft Camper shell-t95cz.jpg

Honestly, if it was wider at the front and covered the front stake pockets, or was at least just uniform fitting I would give this thing a nearly perfect score, but it is unsightly having it sit inboard like it does. Of course, I do make use of that little ledge, I park my coffee mug there while I'm getting in and loading my truck in the morning.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM
howie70

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I am considering a topper like this and was wondering if anyone who had one could comment on how theirs has held up.
Thanks

Last edited by howie70; 07-21-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by unrealtrip
On the Ram our truck beds are not a perfect box, they flare out as they approach the cab (FU Dodge)
That explains why I had so much damn trouble re installing my tonneau cover. It's a soft roll up and each of the three bars support bars it has were different lengths. Didn't realize the bed was shaped weird.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Easy_e
Amateur

The I have a bestop Soft Torrneau Cover on my 2007 RAM.

It is actually the Mopar branded torreau cover, but it's made by Bestop.

My truck looks almost identical to the OP.

Quick Reply: Bestop Soft Camper shell