3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Changing Rear End Gears to Tow.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
jcmorgan31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
I don't know a whole lot about this, but this is what I do:

the margin of safety most RV websites/information services/manuals state is 10% east of the Rockies, and 20% west.. if that trailer weighs in at 8k, and seeing that you are in Indiana, you'll want a tow rating of nearing 9k for safeties sake.. that is curb weight of a trailer behind you- not dry.. This isn't a legal thing, it's just an agreed upon notion by other enthusiasts..

Your friendly DOT or Highway Patrolman doesn't care what mod's you've done to your truck to make it more capable of pursuing your endeavors. He only cares what the GVWR vs. Actual weight is.. And it's printed in your door jam, not to mention he likely has a chart handy as well. Some of those rascals carry scales in their trunks they will be happy to put one under each of your tires to tally the score on any old shoulder of the road and at any time- and WHILE you and your family sit in the truck with your 20oz soda's and magazines you'd be wishing you didn't have at that point.. The penalty for overweight is stupid expensive..

All this being said- If I'm not way out of bounds, there is an exemption/waiver for RV's and weight that allows you some margin for overweight.. I don't know if fifth wheel rigs fit in that waiver or not, but I KNOW toy haulers DON'T... You may want to check that out.

Your imprinted GVWR is going to dictate if you can legally pull that load, nothing else is going to matter.. But, if you feel safe doing so and find that you DON'T qualify for the waiver, there is an easy fix that will slip you past even the best DOT officers:

Re-badge your rig to read 3500.. they won't look twice at you then.

I would be doing this so I could safely increase my towing capacity. I hadn't really thought much about legal reasons, although I wouldn't tow anything illegally. I'm 38 years old and I've never in my life seen a camper on the side of the road being weighed by DOT. I guess that is why the thought of the door tag tow capacity didn't cross my mind. I'm not really worried about that at as a receipt from the shop that changed the gears and a printed copy of Dodge's tow capacity ratings would more than likely be enough to make a police officer not want to waste his time persuing a fine.

I'd take my chances with a receipt and chart before I retagged my truck a 3500. Like you said, the door tag would still say 8800# and if they checked that and realized what you'd done, I doubt you'd even make the campground.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

I agree about switching to 4.56 gears if you are going through the trouble. My 2005 2500, with the V8, has 4.56 gears and the truck is very responsive. I have no comparison, with 4.10, 3.73 or anything else but I have read where a lot of people have switched from these gears to 4.56 and they are quite happy. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
jcmorgan31

Originally Posted by Powerubi Wacon
I agree about switching to 4.56 gears if you are going through the trouble. My 2005 2500, with the V8, has 4.56 gears and the truck is very responsive. I have no comparison, with 4.10, 3.73 or anything else but I have read where a lot of people have switched from these gears to 4.56 and they are quite happy. Good luck!

Where do the 4:56 gears put the RPMS when you are on the highway?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmorgan31
I would be doing this so I could safely increase my towing capacity. I hadn't really thought much about legal reasons, although I wouldn't tow anything illegally. I'm 38 years old and I've never in my life seen a camper on the side of the road being weighed by DOT. I guess that is why the thought of the door tag tow capacity didn't cross my mind. I'm not really worried about that at as a receipt from the shop that changed the gears and a printed copy of Dodge's tow capacity ratings would more than likely be enough to make a police officer not want to waste his time persuing a fine.

I'd take my chances with a receipt and chart before I retagged my truck a 3500. Like you said, the door tag would still say 8800# and if they checked that and realized what you'd done, I doubt you'd even make the campground.

I've towed a lot of campers around, and spent time o plenty at campgrounds talking with other owners... It's not a common thing to see to be sure.. Usually, it happens when they are doing something else too.. like speeding, or cutting traffic..

I was tossing a decoy for my dogs at a rest stop in South Carolina when a DOT officer approached me.. He too had lab's and was basically coming over just to pass the time.. We had a long talk about all things RV- he was an avid camper too.. At the time I didn't have tow mirrors and was relying on the stock mirrors, which worked fine I felt.. He said I could be cited for improper equipment and the fine was $250 for that alone- not that it was a threat, but more or less just a heads up.. He also said it isn't common for someone to get tagged for that, but that you 'would' if involved in an accident where they could determine rear visibility played a factor (duh)..

The point is, what 'they' can nail you for, and what they bother with are two very different things.. The weight waiver for RV's exists in most states I've been told, though it varies how much over that rates.. The trick is finding out if your fifth wheel meets the conditions of the waiver.. Toy Haulers and Horse Trailers don't.. With Johnny Law running lean on funding, it stands to reason the enforcement will increase (and statistically HAS already in many places)..

anyway: 4.56:1 gears rock.. I feel that I can move what the hell ever I want to move with these gears, even w/ 35" tires on the truck..

The RPM's on the highway are higher, but the truck doesn't work near as hard- where you will be dumping a lot of fuel in it to maintain the speed w/ stock gears (whatever they are) the lower gears move much more easily on the engine.. The tranny will run cooler w/ less slipping, and the clutches in the tranny will last longer.. You'll stay in a higher gear a LOT longer on grades, and the truck won't search for gears near as much on varying terrain, which means lower temperatures on the tranny and less load on the truck..

I can dang near pull my two skiis and equipment (it's only about 2200lbs) over the NC mountains without dropping below 4th gear at all- and the truck runs cooler and the tranny temperature hardly budges. If your game is pulling, 4.56:1 is the ticket plain and simple.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM
jcmorgan31

Originally Posted by drewactual
I've towed a lot of campers around, and spent time o plenty at campgrounds talking with other owners... It's not a common thing to see to be sure.. Usually, it happens when they are doing something else too.. like speeding, or cutting traffic..

I was tossing a decoy for my dogs at a rest stop in South Carolina when a DOT officer approached me.. He too had lab's and was basically coming over just to pass the time.. We had a long talk about all things RV- he was an avid camper too.. At the time I didn't have tow mirrors and was relying on the stock mirrors, which worked fine I felt.. He said I could be cited for improper equipment and the fine was $250 for that alone- not that it was a threat, but more or less just a heads up.. He also said it isn't common for someone to get tagged for that, but that you 'would' if involved in an accident where they could determine rear visibility played a factor (duh)..

The point is, what 'they' can nail you for, and what they bother with are two very different things.. The weight waiver for RV's exists in most states I've been told, though it varies how much over that rates.. The trick is finding out if your fifth wheel meets the conditions of the waiver.. Toy Haulers and Horse Trailers don't.. With Johnny Law running lean on funding, it stands to reason the enforcement will increase (and statistically HAS already in many places)..

anyway: 4.56:1 gears rock.. I feel that I can move what the hell ever I want to move with these gears, even w/ 35" tires on the truck..

The RPM's on the highway are higher, but the truck doesn't work near as hard- where you will be dumping a lot of fuel in it to maintain the speed w/ stock gears (whatever they are) the lower gears move much more easily on the engine.. The tranny will run cooler w/ less slipping, and the clutches in the tranny will last longer.. You'll stay in a higher gear a LOT longer on grades, and the truck won't search for gears near as much on varying terrain, which means lower temperatures on the tranny and less load on the truck..

I can dang near pull my two skiis and equipment (it's only about 2200lbs) over the NC mountains without dropping below 4th gear at all- and the truck runs cooler and the tranny temperature hardly budges. If your game is pulling, 4.56:1 is the ticket plain and simple.

Good info there. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tow rating is more than gears. If you want to fifth-wheel, your best bet is a 2500.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There is structurally no difference in a 2500 with different ratio ring/pinions.

You will be tacking about 200 more rpms with 4.56s than 4.10s at 70 mph, will make no measurable difference in fuel economy but will make the truck more responsive, especially on launch pulling a heavy load.

Plus, your transmission essentially has 2 overdrive gears, so you won't be taching very high on the interstate, even with the 4.56s.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe they bothered to make a 2500 with granny gears. Who buys those trucks to cruise? Configured that way it has barely more capacity than my 1500.

These posts really make me want 4.56's. Too bad it'd cost a fortune to get it done, even though I do have a hookup at a Mopar-specific tranny shop.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
jcmorgan31

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
The tow rating is more than gears. If you want to fifth-wheel, your best bet is a 2500.

It is a 2500.....

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
jcmorgan31

Seems like finding a shop that can do it will be the challenge.... Living in the sticks has its disadvantages....

Quick Reply: Changing Rear End Gears to Tow.....