3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Complete Speaker Upgrade - LOTS of PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM
bigmac18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Speaker Upgrade - LOTS of PICS

I just finished up completely redoing all of my stock speakers. Started off by replacing all of the door speakers with Alpine 6.5" components up front and 2-ways in the rear. Also built a custom sub box for an Alpine Type-S 10" sub.

The sound is incredible over the stock speakers. I still haven't decided if I want to add an amp for the door speakers yet, they sound really good as it is with the stock head unit.
The sub hits very hard for a small 10" The enclosure is .6 cubic Ft (without the sub) which is just about perfect for this sub.

Used Metra 72-6514 wire harness connectors to maintain factory plugs

Stock front on left. New on right.

Cut out a baffle out of 1/4" hardboard for front speakers

Tweeters mounted in front door "sails"

Rears: Stock on right, new on left

Subwoofer Box Build & Install
I already had the amp and wires run from a previous subwoofer I had installed.
Old setup: 2 10" Kicker L5s. A HUGE box. I had to raise the rear seat 1". It was just too much box, and I wanted to maintain the use of some of the back seat. So it was sold.

Started by taping off bin, and cutting out a frame from 1/2" MDF that would be the final shape of the box. Then added 2 layers of chopped mat fiberglass. Let cure overnight.

Popped tub out of truck, and added 2 more frame layers and 2 more layers of fiberglass, covering up the inside sides of the seams where the 3 layers of frame meet.

No pictures of the top install, but the hole was cut large enough for the entire speaker to fit, then a 2" wide speaker ring was glued/screwed to the underside for the speaker to install to, to create a flush mount top.

Test fitted - PERFECT!

Covered in Carpet...and DONE!

Last edited by bigmac18; 02-22-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
reefguy89
Captain

sweet looks awsome

Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
shortyR6
Professional

nice install. do you have all the dimensions or patterns for the box? willing to share? i need to upgrade my speakers as well, the left front i think is blown.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
bigmac18
Veteran

Originally Posted by shortyR6
nice install. do you have all the dimensions or patterns for the box? willing to share? i need to upgrade my speakers as well, the left front i think is blown.
There aren't really many dimensions needed. I just made a template for the shape out of poster board. Then I cut out one piece and made sure the fit was perfect. Then I used a flush trim bit in my router to copy the shape to the other 3 layers.
The main dimension needed is it can only be 2" tall, from the top of the storage bin to the bottom of the seat (in the back). So I ended up with 4 layers of 1/2" MDF.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey now, that box came out pretty nice!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Well done. That box looks like it was meant to be there. I am thinking about upgrading all of my speakers as well just for better sound quality. Mind sharing how much the speakers alone cost you?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
ram man17
Captain

Get the door speakers ampd! I got mine done not too long ago and havent looked back.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM
bigmac18
Veteran

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
Well done. That box looks like it was meant to be there. I am thinking about upgrading all of my speakers as well just for better sound quality. Mind sharing how much the speakers alone cost you?
That's what I was going for.
I ordered everything from http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Originally Posted by ram man17
Get the door speakers ampd! I got mine done not too long ago and havent looked back.
Ya, that's the plan, I have the amp, and it's all wired up, just need to run the speaker wires to the doors...which I am dreading doing! I know how, just don't feel like messing with it quite yet.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

Nice set up. Awesome sub enclosure!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
lrnintendo
Amateur

Wow. That sub box is the stuff. Awesome. Haven't seen many boxes made like that in quite a while. Pics are great.

Quick Reply: Complete Speaker Upgrade - LOTS of PICS