3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for some ideas - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
rednblack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some ideas - HELP

2008 1500 4x4

For the 7th time (yes 7th) my 4 wheel drive has gone out. Positive thing is the Chrysler has covered most of the cost to this point.

Each time, the TIPM and the motor/actuator have been replaced as a pair and last only until I get into a wet situation. Last time it was fixed (2 weeks ago) they also replaced the A/C pressure transducer because it in on the common circuit.

Each time there is a huge power draw, air bag light comes on, traction control light goes nuts, and the service 4 wheel drive light comes on then everything quits working. No codes are ever thrown.

The dealer is pulling his hair out and here I sit up to my arm pits in snow and no 4 wheel drive.

Anybody have any thoughts I could pass along as to what gremlin mite be causing this or have any of you had this problem?

Thanks for reading a long post.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM
rednblack

ttt Anyone?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
bamataco
Veteran

If that dealer sold you that truck then he ought to treat you very well on a deal for a differant truck. Thats the direction I would go.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
wishywashy
Rookie

After 7 times I would be looking at this: http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/MN_LemonGuide.html

Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
bamataco
Veteran

Originally Posted by wishywashy
After 7 times I would be looking at this: http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/MN_LemonGuide.html
Thats another good idea.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to state the obvious, but your friend the dealer is fixing a product of the problem and not the problem itself.. which is a fine way to make you, the customer, happy- and his company some $$ too..

It sounds like something is unshielded.. that could be a monster to track down, or it could be obvious.. I'm sorry the only thing I can contribute is to recommend you go see another dealer and tell them what's going on, and hope they will also honor the service agreement.

Is there another dealer nearby?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
rednblack

I appreciate all the input.

This is my dd/work truck and it has over 110k on it. The problem is that it works for about 9 months and then goes out 2 or 3 times in as many weeks.

The selling dealer is out of business and this dealer is talking way less than wholesale for a trade and I'm not keen on "dumping" it on someone in the private market who thinks they are getting a good truck.

Since I don't have $40k + for a new one right now, I guess I'll just get another "free" fix and limp through. The good thing in the whole deal is it works fine in 2wd while waiting for parts and only take a few hours to get the new ones installed.

Lemons come in many colors - this in Inferno Red!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Lemon Law is what i was going to suggest also.

Quick Reply: Looking for some ideas - HELP