3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My Ram is a POS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Gasturbine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt99
Heres a quick example of being ignorant. You are griping about changing 30k rated plugs at 30k. First of all, the two sets of plugs are different materials and you change them accordingly. Second, if the plugs are rated at 30,000 miles the dealer will tell you they need to be changed at 30,000 miles, not 40k, 50k, or whatever. You have to change them just like you have to fill your tank up.
[sigh] Im not disputing that...what I am saying is that 30k is a very short interval for changing plugs compared to other make/models. Add the fact there are two per cylinder (twice as many of *******ly any other production engine). And when you consider the fact the engineers made it difficult to change said plugs, well, that makes me an unhappy camper.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth. Im sure many here may find it perfectly acceptable to change 16 plugs every 30k, I personally do not. That is not being ignorant...that is a position.

I remember growing up with carbureted cars...it was not uncommon to change plugs under 10k, but given modern technology (IE; computer control/fuel injection) many many engines can go 100k and farther without changing the plugs.

Others have already chimed in...the engine apparently doesnt like copper plugs, thus, the reason behind it. I simply feel that is an engineering mistake. Again, not ignorant, but my position on the matter.

Last edited by Gasturbine; 02-26-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by socket462
Great thread! I am getting dizzy reading it from it going in circles- but the entertainment factor is thumbs up!
What!? Somebodies enjoying this at my expense!?

Just kidding...glad your enjoying yourself Socket.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Gasturbine, I can sympathize with all your troubles. There are only a few members here who have had similar problems with their Dodge product. I'm on my fourth Dodge truck and all combined have not had nearly the problems you have.

On the other hand, I can only recall one GM product I've owned which was as trouble-free as my Chrysler products. I had an Oldsmobile Cutlass which had a healthy appetite for alternators (three in as many years). My Mom had a '95 Buick LeSabre which went through four water pumps and five alternators in 195K miles. Her '03 LeSabre needed a window regulator and it only has 42K.

My F-150 also had a sizable alternator habit as well as horrible mileage.

My point is - all of them have issues. My experience with GM junk is so bad, I'll never buy another one.
I feel ya Mike...

...I just hope you can feel me some.

I truly do hope my experience is an isolated one, and that is generally what Im hearing here, so perhaps there is some hope.

However, there IS obviously a known problem with Dodge trucks heater cores clogging up. There are tons of folks here, and on other boards who state it. Im curious if anybody has identified the issue. Too small of cooling channels or whatever...I dont know.

And on another note, my '90 Silverado did have a slight appetite for starters, BUT, some of the blame is on me for buying rebuilt junk, and not shimming correctly.

Oh well...life goes on.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM
RamTracks02

I sympathize with you as well... however I took on a 95k mile 2002 4.7L Ram knowing that i would have some issues. It was an impulse buy after the dealer made me a good offer on a 2002 Grand Am that was on its last leg. In the 8 months and under 2k miles i've put on the truck, here is what i have had to do: 1st - Master window switch, replaced with ebay oem part $50; 2nd - Front speakers blown, just replaced today with ebay oem $50; 3rd - Front wheel bearing / hub, took me an hour and $150 to fix; 4th - Heater core probably needs flushed and / or replaced, haven't done it yet; 5th - blend doors probably need replaced, it's been a cold winter! Also i replaced my spark plugs and that only took about an hour and about $2 a plug as well, no biggie.

My point to this is that everyone has issues with their vehicle and you need to prioritize them and handle them accordingly. I sometimes enjoy working on my truck and other times I wish that i NEVER had to work on another vehicle again in my life. So if you in the latter mode, sell and try your luck with something else. As for me, i know i have some repairs to make soon and maybe i will enjoy working on it. When i get to the point that you are, i will sell the gas hog and move on to something else.

I also own an Acura with over 115k on the clock. So far the only thing i have done is change the oil, filters, belt and plugs. However I try not to compare them; as with you, it makes me angry comparing their quality. The Ram just has a much different purpose to me personally and i consider it a much more "rugged" or "primitive" vehicle lol.

Anyways, good luck in your future endeavors!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Others have already chimed in...the engine apparently doesnt like copper plugs, thus, the reason behind it. I simply feel that is an engineering mistake. Again, not ignorant, but my position on the matter.
as far as i know the hemi runs the best with copper plugs.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran

Sounds like a lemon. Maybe it was built on a monday or a friday? Sorry for the lame jokes, that sucks man. As for the trans I dont know what to tell ya, Ive heard that the 545RFE is the benchmark automatic now, my buddy has 540 000km on his.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by Marx
as far as i know the hemi runs the best with copper plugs.
Er, thats what I meant Marx...thanks for catching that.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by RamTracks02
I sympathize with you as well... however I took on a 95k mile 2002 4.7L Ram knowing that i would have some issues. It was an impulse buy after the dealer made me a good offer on a 2002 Grand Am that was on its last leg. In the 8 months and under 2k miles i've put on the truck, here is what i have had to do: 1st - Master window switch, replaced with ebay oem part $50; 2nd - Front speakers blown, just replaced today with ebay oem $50; 3rd - Front wheel bearing / hub, took me an hour and $150 to fix; 4th - Heater core probably needs flushed and / or replaced, haven't done it yet; 5th - blend doors probably need replaced, it's been a cold winter! Also i replaced my spark plugs and that only took about an hour and about $2 a plug as well, no biggie.

My point to this is that everyone has issues with their vehicle and you need to prioritize them and handle them accordingly. I sometimes enjoy working on my truck and other times I wish that i NEVER had to work on another vehicle again in my life. So if you in the latter mode, sell and try your luck with something else. As for me, i know i have some repairs to make soon and maybe i will enjoy working on it. When i get to the point that you are, i will sell the gas hog and move on to something else.

I also own an Acura with over 115k on the clock. So far the only thing i have done is change the oil, filters, belt and plugs. However I try not to compare them; as with you, it makes me angry comparing their quality. The Ram just has a much different purpose to me personally and i consider it a much more "rugged" or "primitive" vehicle lol.

Anyways, good luck in your future endeavors!
Thanks RamTracks.

Truth is, I do very little mechanical work anymore. Ill do simple stuff like oil changes, brakes, belts, electrical, and normally, plugs...stuff like that. My issues are my eyesight, aching joints, and bad knees. Listen young people...when you doctor tells you to take it easy in your 40s...DO IT!

I need a truck, but it doesnt get much use. It hauls the boat, picks up mulch, gravel, and dirt, and aside from the kids borrowing it to move or whatever, it sits it the garage. Like I said, I put just under 2k on it in about 10 months.

Luckily, I am in good financial status, and normally dont mind paying people to do things, but one of the reasons I am financially secure is because I listened to my Grandfather. He always said "Take care of your pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves". So needless to say, I really dont like to part with my money...especially just about every time I get behind the wheel.

I dont know what Im going to do now. I personally can handle the air bag light, but NOT when my wife and kids drive it...which they do on occasion.

Take care, and thank for the good wishes.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....

Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM
newfiebullet
Professional

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
For you, $1000.
Ill give ya $1000 for that lemon truck ya got...hahaha