3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

HHO Kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
chrwilson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHO Kits

Did anybody here tried to put a HHO kit on to there dodge ram 4.7 l if yes how by how much did it improve you gas miliage, because mine is horrible right now

Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There are a few threads on hydrogen generators but no one has ever come back with factual proof. Lots of opinions though.

I assume you have done proper maintenance like plugs and wires, air filter, cleaned the TB and check the EGR, checked/replaced O2s, reset the PCM, and whatever else?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

if you are worried about gas mileage you shouldn't own a truck, plain and simple.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Nothing wrong with trying to get better mileage. Its just that most things dont work

Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A computer tech who used to work for me built one himself from plans he got off the internet and put it in his Nissan Pathfinder. This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago and he continues to use it to this day. I think he junked the original one about a year ago and built another.
He claims it took him from about a 17/18 mpg average to about 21/22. He's the real nerdy, geeky type and not prone to exaggeration, so I tend to believe him.

I had a couple of pics of it at one time, taken not long after he built the first one and installed it. Can't find them now, they are probably still on the phone I took them with, which is like 3 or 4 phones ago, LOL...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Matt99
Champion

They have done tests on them on 20/20 etc and none had any positive results but I dunno. I guess in theory it should work but why wouldn't vehicle manufacturers put them in to report 4-5mpg extra

Old 03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I will be honest. I read into this some time back and IMO, there is a lot of science to it and a lot of the proper gear you need to make it work (if it does in truth). You need a lot more that just a hydrogen generator and a way to get it into the intake. A lot more.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

On the gas trucks you will need a way to fool the computer into leaning out the fuel because the HHO burns so clean it leaves behind extra Oxygen and the O2 sensors will "think" it is running lean and add more fuel to the mix. So without the proper sensor fooler installed, you will actually use MORE fuel but the power should be excellent.. Now if you go to a STRAIGHT Hydrogen setup that makes only Hydrogen, (the latest mileage improver on the market) it would see the richer mixture and lean out the fuel being put in by computer and injectors.. Sounds better in theory to me but I have not had the $$$ to build or buy one yet so until then I will not be able to test it..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to go away from the original thread completely, but there is something going on with the 4.7s.
I'm noticing an awful lot of threads by 4.7 owners who at one time got at or better than rated (15/19) mileage who are all of the sudden getting lousy gas mileage. Not just here, but I'm noticing this across two or three different forums. Everybody is seeing this drastic change at the 50-60k mileage mark. Now some guys are countering back with trucks with 100k + on them that still get the mileage they always got.

What component, not noticed by the PCM is failing at this point for a lot of guys?

Bet ya' somebody could make a buck or two if they figured this one out.

BTW: To anyone who DOES figure it out, don't be stupid like I was when I "invented" a mod and posted up DIYs all over the place, only to find the thing for sale on ebay three months later. Now that particular mod is being sold by that company to big time distributors like JEGS and Summit...

Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Matt99
Champion

Hammer, I know I lifted my truck and put bigger tires on it but I went from 21mpg hwy to about 9.3. Im at 50k on my 4.7.

Find this fix lol. Its probably the sludge problem

Quick Reply: HHO Kits