3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb

So after researching as many exhaust threads as I care to read, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Cherry Bomb 88109 Vortex

&&

Magnaflow 12198

The plan is to purchase the muffler from Amazon and have one of the really great local shops install it for me. Though I really wanted the Hemi, the deal I got on my 4.7 simply could not be passed up by a sane person. I would really like some objective feedback as far as the pros and cons of my choices, preferably from people who have or have had these mufflers. I know the Cherry Bomb flows considerable CFM, but have not been able to find any CFM specs on the Magnaflows. I don't really care about how loud they are, as long as the sound is deep.

This will be my first time installing aftermarket exhaust on any vehicle, and I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. At just under $100 a piece, purchasing the "wrong" muffler won't be that big of a deal, but I absolutely hate having to redo things. If it makes any difference, I'm going to have the exhaust dump right in front of the rear passenger wheel.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 03-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The reason you can't find any CFM information on Magnaflow mufflers is that they choose not to publish those specs. Surprising thing to me is that I can't find any third party information either. However, Magnaflow mufflers are considered to be a good flowing muffler.

From a pure-out performance standpoint, you really couldn't go wrong with either brand. In general, the Cherry Bomb will be louder (amount will of course be determined by model) and the tone should be a good bit deeper. Magnaflows can be anywhere from very quiet to moderately loud depending on model chosen. Many Maggy mufflers are available in stainless steel, which could be a big plus to you depending on where you live.
I don't think there is a "wrong" choice here between these two brands.

Whichever muffler you choose, I think it's actually more important to have them cut out the factory "Y" pipe and either replace it with a better flowing "Y" or simply a dual input/dual output muffler...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-14-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
JDG103
Veteran

Cherry Bomb Extreme is a really good muffler to use

Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

I have Magnaflow part #12198 on my 07 Hemi Ram, my good buddy has a Cherry Bomb Extreme on his 06 Hemi Ram. They both sound great, but I think the Cherry Bomb he has is a bit more aggressive than my Magnaflow set up. They both drone at crusing speeds on the expressway when MDS kicks in. Like others, I think either choice will make you happy in the end if clean and agressive is what you want. If you have not already, go on YouTube and you will be able to see/hear the set-ups that people have gone with.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Whichever muffler you choose, I think it's actually more important to have them cut out the factory "Y" pipe and either replace it with a better flowing "Y" or simply a dual input/dual output muffler...
This is something that I failed to even think of before you mentioned it. I hadn't even thought to look up under the truck at what was already there. By your description, I'm assuming the 4.7 goes headers > cats > "Y" > muffler > exit pipe? So I don't have to try and measure, does anyone know what the diameter of the piping before the "Y" is? I think it would be most efficient to use a dual inlet/outlet muffler of the same diameter as the pipe coming out of the cats?

Originally Posted by SLT07ThunderRoad
I have Magnaflow part #12198 on my 07 Hemi Ram, my good buddy has a Cherry Bomb Extreme on his 06 Hemi Ram. They both sound great, but I think the Cherry Bomb he has is a bit more aggressive than my Magnaflow set up. They both drone at crusing speeds on the expressway when MDS kicks in.
I looked at the Extreme when I was doing my comparisons, but I was worried that the very small body of the muffler would make the sound just downright obnoxious. Since the 4.7 doesn't have MDS, I'm not too worried about the sound droning at highway speeds.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:09 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

the 4.7L sounds amazing with a nice exhaust set-up... Better than the Hemi I think.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Question

So after everyone's input, I've changed my choices to the following 2.5" dual in/out models:

Magnaflow 11379 - $97.65

Cherry Bomb 7427 Extreme - $58.89

Cherry Bomb 88116 Vortex - $119.90

I threw the Extreme in there, because the 88116 not only costs more than the Magnaflow, but it's also back-ordered, and I don't have much patience. Discuss.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

I have a magnaflow it has alot of drone

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
sergiomomesso

I am about to do some exhaust work on my 07 hemi. My cousin owns a shop and has told me magnaflow are the way to go and buy some headers to go with it. i have decided to spend some cash and go from head to toe.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

I just bought the Aero Turbine 3030 and havin that put on my truck this weekend and all i have heard is good stuff about this muffler on here..i was also in debate of getting the extreme but got alot of grief from the g/f that it would be too loud..but def cant wait to get this stock exhaust off and put that new muffler on..but good luck on the decision

Quick Reply: Magnaflow vs Cherry Bomb