3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

MPG Increase!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM
megablacktank
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking MPG Increase!

Okay so being as my 315 bfg's have worn down and were in need of severe changing I began to look for a new set of tires. Well started to look at the Goodyear wrangler duratracks. Then started looking at gas prices and what is was costing me to put gas in my truck and what I was actually getting for MPG's. So I did the unthinkable, I down sized my tire! This was a little hard to swallow as I have such a large truck so to speak. But since I have had the tires I have no complaints other than they look small on my truck and getting razzed by my buddies about it. So the end result for putting stock tire size back on the mega is a 2.5 MPG increase!! It is so nice to be able to actually see the difference in mileage. I know I drove it around a good bit this past weekend. Plus being the tire that it is, it still looks aggressive and hums going down the road so I am happy even if they do look like go-kart tires!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

Yea that defiantly helps the gas by putting the stock tires back on and making sure all ur tire pressure is right

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I chit you not, My wife came to pick me up for lunch the yesterday and when we got back I mentioned to her you had gotten new tires (since you parked out there in the front row) and she mentioned they looked small. I thought it was an optical illusion but I didnt know you actually downsized. Good for you and your mileage though.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
megablacktank
Professional

Yeah no joke cause the only other option is gonna be to get rid of the big beast! that would be a sad day for me!!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

you could buy a intake my mpgs went up a little when i did that and a exhaust is suppose to help also

Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 AM
nateroach
Veteran

^^
He has an intake, it's the Vararam in his sig, and CAI's haven't proven to gain noticeable MPG's alone. They do help with other aspects, like no longer being a limiting factor for other mods though.

nateroach

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed. His biggest thing is a lifted Mega with big wheels and it being a heavier truck than most and with the 5.7.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't help but wonder if he remembered to recalibrate his tire size. If he didn't then the truck has been thinking he has been turning bigger tires and thinks he drove further than he really did. If that's the case his gains may have been minimal.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM
megablacktank
Professional

Well guys with a cai and programmer it paid off in the beginning but switching to the stock tire size it has helped alot. With the Vararam you can notice a gain just dependent on your ride tires and yada yada yada.
As far as recalibrating, I have yet to do this but considering that my truck has I think it is a diadolos programming computer system. It has the ability to learn and recalibrate itself. I say this due to the fact when I 1st bought the truck it took a while for the speedometer to adjust for the bigger tire siz or the computer to learn, because when I put the programmer to it and tried to adjust it made the damn thing go farther off. I say it will be about 200 miles and it should be set. I will test it against my garmin this week.
Oh and weed my truck just has a 2" leveling kit! Jeez I can't help I don't need all kinds of lift to clear large tires. LOL j/k bud!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
megablacktank
Professional

Its not diadolos it is called canbus system.

Quick Reply: MPG Increase!