3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front suspension

Went to have my tires rotated and balanced and when they were done they inspected the brakes and suspension and told me all four ball joints need to be replaced and the inner tie rods, one shock was leaking so I should replace both. WTF! My truck is only 4 years old! About 47k miles. Is this normal for an 07 that's lifted? Seems kinda like such a short time for all this to be going out. I go offroading once in while, not over doing it much. What do you all think?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:02 PM
JDG103
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get your Ram serviced at. personaly i dont think your ball joints dont need replace nor the shocks, but that also depends on how you drive your Ram

Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Matt99
Champion

You has a 6in fabtech lift and 35in tires on 20in rims. This is expected. At least its not a CV

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, fairly normal especially with the Fabtech and Superlift kits. Inexpensive kits that do not come with bigger and beefier front end components and utilize the stock stuff.

Don't blame the Ram, blame the kit and the tire size. In six years with my lift, I've had one tie rod end go (replaced for free by Rancho just this past year). These components are close to twice the size of the stock parts...

Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM
07hemi1500

I have an 07 1500 with alot of the same problems. My truck had 22000 miles and needed left control arm, a strut was leaking so I had both replaced. I just found out at 24300 miles it now needs a new hub and bearings, the front axle seal is leaking, and the Trans. was leaking so I just told them to service it being it had to be drained anyway.
I love my Ram but it is very frustrating to have such problems. I do no off roading or is it lifted. I do have air ride in the rear and just mainly pull my 30ft camper. Thank GOD for the extended warranty.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh well, live and learn! Guess I'll just have to save my pennies and get 'er fixed!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
08hemisunburt

I have A 2008 1500 And I am takin mine in on Sat to have them look at my front end. I have extreme over bounce in my front shocks and starting to get really bad wear on the inner and outer parts of my tires. I have 35k miles.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Boo Radley
Professional

Originally Posted by 07hemi1500
I have an 07 1500 with alot of the same problems. My truck had 22000 miles and needed left control arm, a strut was leaking so I had both replaced. I just found out at 24300 miles it now needs a new hub and bearings, the front axle seal is leaking, and the Trans. was leaking so I just told them to service it being it had to be drained anyway.
I love my Ram but it is very frustrating to have such problems. I do no off roading or is it lifted. I do have air ride in the rear and just mainly pull my 30ft camper. Thank GOD for the extended warranty.

just mainly pull a 30' camper? that's a lot of strain on a half ton truck.
but control arm, hubs, bearings, axle seals and transmission are not suspension components. i'd almost bet you crank the hell out of the steering wheel turning with that camper in tow as about all of your issues are steering related. i'm actually shocked your rack is still intact. a common problem is that guys just don't know how to properly tow a large trailer.
pulling a camper puts a lot of stress on front ends that people don't realize. even if the weight is within specs, the sheer length of a trailer that long is hard on the truck.

lifts and large tires are murder on these things too. and yes the post about the fabtechs being harder on the fronts is true, i seen a lot of blown cv's with that kit.

i worked on these trucks for almost four years until the dealership i was at went under. the front ends are decent no worse than the chevy trucks i worked on. i do wish they never went to non greaseable components though. a little shot of grease does wonders to extend the life of ball joints and tie rod ends. if i was going to replace any component in the front of these trucks i would not use the mopar part, but instead choose a greaseable one, like a moog.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Listen, find the part numbers to the Moog ball joints and tie rods over on www.rockauto.com and then go search for them on ebay and save a lot of money. Put them on yourself and then go get an alignment

Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
07hemi1500

The 30ft camper weighs MAX of 6300lb loaded. I use a weight distributing hitch and I never over steer or put myself in tight spots. I am well under the weight limit of the truck. I know it is a half ton but come on it should take it. I know people who pull 5th wheels with the same set up and never had close to as many problems. I am not trying to argue with anyone so dont get me wrong. I have been operating class A trucks and equipment most of my life, I may not be the best and there is always something to learn, but I do know how to pull a trailer. I do agree with you about the greaseable fittings though. Everybody has their opinions and problems. oh well!

Quick Reply: Front suspension