3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Any battteries similar to Optima??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any battteries similar to Optima??

I've been searching the forum about Optima batteries to see if they are really worth the extra cost...I found that they have been sold out and relocated to Mexico and the quality has dropped...Was wondering if you guys know of any batteries that are similar in quality and such of the Optima??

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Also I was thinking about going dual batteries...Weedahoe, would you happen to have any install pics of yours?? I found pics of the result, but would like to see how you mounted it...Also where did you get the wire to run over to the battery, is it something most parts stores carry? Lastly, I'm trying to come up with a way to have "switching" batteries. By that I mean...I have a couple ideas in my head, but would like more ideas on if this may be possible...I want with the Key On to run from both batteries if needed like to run a winch for instance to have that extra draw...But with the key off or ACC I want to only draw from one battery so say I leave the lights on like an idiot...ok bad example cuz they time out...but if I do anything that draws current with the truck not running, I want it to draw on only one battery and not be able to draw from the other, leaving a full battery to start in the morning. Does this seem feasible??

Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I used a pass side battery tray from a CTD truck. Remember when i did mine I also did a Big 3 upgrade so my wires might look different from yours. Ive got pics in my sig link but if you want something specific feel free to ask.

The wire I used for my Big 3 was welding ground cable. I got it from Jones Welding but any welding shop would carry it. It is better than automotive power/ground cable being it has more stands and thicker insulation. I bought lugs also from Jones Welding and had the tools at work to squeeze and compress them.

They make big switches for race cars to be able to disconnect and connect the battery so you could use something like that. Another thing to consider is a battery isolator so when they key is off, any usage is pulled from one battery and not both so you still have one to crank and run off of.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I used a pass side battery tray from a CTD truck. Remember when i did mine I also did a Big 3 upgrade so my wires might look different from yours. Ive got pics in my sig link but if you want something specific feel free to ask.

The wire I used for my Big 3 was welding ground cable. I got it from Jones Welding but any welding shop would carry it. It is better than automotive power/ground cable being it has more stands and thicker insulation. I bought lugs also from Jones Welding and had the tools at work to squeeze and compress them.

They make big switches for race cars to be able to disconnect and connect the battery so you could use something like that. Another thing to consider is a battery isolator so when they key is off, any usage is pulled from one battery and not both so you still have one to crank and run off of.
Ahh ok, and does this battery tray bolt right up, prolly have to drill, but other than that, easy install?

What is this Big 3 upgrade I keep reading about??

Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Passenger side tray bolts right up, mounting holes are present on ALL Rams, but you'll have to move the stock air box.

Highly recommend the isolator, a 200A model is sufficient and should be able to be found for around $50...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Ok, any suggestions on quality/performance of the older Optima batteries?? Also, what is a big 3 upgrade? I have read about it, but it is only lightly mentioned, can't really find a basic explaination of what it is

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big 3 upgrade - upgrade the main ground, power, and alt to battery wires.
I've heard optima's have a short lifespan as well, I just bought a cheapo with the highest CCA I could find.
Cummins tray from any 03 up will work, couple bucks at a junkyard. Bolts right in, but you'll need an aftermarket intake as the battery sits where your airbox is.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
awood42000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its crazy that optima battrys have gotten this bad. The company cant be doing to bad because I am getting ready to send new equipment to their factory in mexico.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by freestyledude
Big 3 upgrade - upgrade the main ground, power, and alt to battery wires.
I've heard optima's have a short lifespan as well, I just bought a cheapo with the highest CCA I could find.
Cummins tray from any 03 up will work, couple bucks at a junkyard. Bolts right in, but you'll need an aftermarket intake as the battery sits where your airbox is.
Ahh, ok, the three big wires, gotcha...quite confusing, cuz when I here big 3 I think Dodge, Ford, and Chevy.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

WOW, called EVERY junk yard within a 20 mile radius of me and apparently nobody wrecks these trucks...Only one place said he had anything new enough, but said they were all 1500's...so there wouldn't be a passenger side battery tray. Does anyone know if the driver side tray will work, cuz I should be able to get one of those...or will any of you laugh at me if I buy the $5 plastic on from AutoZone??

Quick Reply: Any battteries similar to Optima??