3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster? Borla? Magnaflow? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One word. Magnaflow.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

I really like my Mangaflow duals.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by Rolandjr0424
Please explain DRONE and WOT. And which has given you the best performance as well? I am really doing my home work before dropping a couple hundred on something I really want!
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

DRONE = interior cab resonance/sound vibrations caused by the exhaust system. Think of the exhaust as an electric guitar and you are getting a hum/vibration like feedback from it through the amp( not that high pitched squeal but a constant and uchanging hum/vibration - may not be the best analogy but it is the ebst I can come up with on the spot ). The entire design of the exhaust, including the design of the muffler, plays into it.

Drone is a steady vibration/hum that is constantly there and it effects people to varying degrees. Some people don't get bothered at all, some just get annoyed, and some like me actually get sick( i.e. headaches and/or nauseated ). It is really annoying IMO. There are some vehicles known to have problems with drone. In the truck world the big issues are with Dodge HEMI's, GM 6.0L's, and Ford V10's.

Some mufflers such as Corsa claim no drone by design while others like Borla just seem to not produce it. FloPro is a brand that makes mufflers specifically for these problem vehicles( mentioned above )that are not supposed to drone too.

Performance will be just about the same between varying aftermarket mufflers if the pipe systems are the same too. IMO drone is the X factor in the decision not performance. Magnaflow and Borla will give the same basic performance.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

There was a list a while ago of the different mufflers out there and their flow rates posted on here. Not sure where but I know I have seen it posted in a thread or faq section.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Rolandjr0424

So I'm really still insure. Which will give me the best performance and best sound? It's a HEMI and should sound like a HEMI!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

I would Get flows I have a magna flow and it's to quite for me

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Flowmasters are loud but flow a little less than the stock set-up. Magnaflow and Borla both flow really well, but are a little quieter. Still sound really good, just a little less raspy and a bit more refined. I think you will be quite happy with the sound and performance of either of these two stainless mufflers that won't rust away after a couple of years like the Flowmasters do.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

I have flowmaster super 44 series, and I love it. Deep throaty sound that does not make you want to put ear plugs in everytime you drive.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Rolandjr0424

Originally Posted by lxman1
Flowmasters are loud but flow a little less than the stock set-up. Magnaflow and Borla both flow really well, but are a little quieter. Still sound really good, just a little less raspy and a bit more refined. I think you will be quite happy with the sound and performance of either of these two stainless mufflers that won't rust away after a couple of years like the Flowmasters do.

Flow less than stock? How so? and do you know of any dyno or flow charts I can reference?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Flowmaster? Borla? Magnaflow? HELP!!!