3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Power wire install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
You realize of course that I am of the mechanical opinion. But I stand corrected on the computor side of the motor running at 185 degrees. I truly am old school.......damn computers lol.
Yes Rocket, I understand and am not trying to ridicule you. You are spot on on your information most of the time and are always a helpful and positive member of the forum.

I just try to give alternate opinions and correct misinformation when I see it. Because I post more often than anyone else, I probably get corrected myself more than anyone else.

It just kinda cracked me up when you said that the power wire dumps fuel at WOT and you'll see an MPG gain if you keep your foot off of it. I just wanted to know how you can be at WOT unless you floor your foot? You gotta admit, that sh*t is funny right there.

A power wire is NOT a bad thing and there are times when a cooler thermostat IS NOT the best solution. In the north, in winter, you'll never get your truck to blow hot air out of the heater. Also, if you go too cool, your oil will sludge and you will go through emissions components like EGR valves faster.

Now in my case, I live in the deep south, so heater and oil sludging isn't a big issue for me. BUT I was running lean after the LT header install combined with CAI and a tune with pretty advanced timing. Not crazy lean or even CEL lean, but a bit lean. The thermostat was a quick, easy, $20 band aid to get my A/F dead on spec again.

I'm a firm believer that there is never just one best solution for everyone. Some may benefit better from a power wire and some with a cooler thermostat. I am just trying to point out there are alternatives with a different set of advantages/disadvantages from one another...

Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yes Rocket, I understand and am not trying to ridicule you. You are spot on on your information most of the time and are always a helpful and positive member of the forum.

It just kinda cracked me up when you said that the power wire dumps fuel at WOT and you'll see an MPG gain if you keep your foot off of it. I just wanted to know how you can be at WOT unless you floor your foot? You gotta admit, that sh*t is funny right there.
Well if you must ask, First start your truck find a hill, Then with your foot to the floor get to the top, (at wot). Then when you crest the hill, you throw the truck in nuetral, again wot. Voila! instant mpg's!
I'm joking of course, You can just coast down the hill.........

Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
What don't you ''get'' ?? These are a little mod that you can do yourself. It is a gimmick ,That works!! It simply fools the pcm into thinking it needs to deliver more air and fuel at wot. When in reality your boosting hp, and adding mpg's if you keep your foot out of it.
That's exactly what I didn't get. Wasn't sure what you were done and what it was accomplishing.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by Geezir
That's exactly what I didn't get. Wasn't sure what you were done and what it was accomplishing.
I also forgot to explain how it works, The resistor ''tricks'' the pcm into thinking the air is way too cool coming in the in take. So it lengthens the injector pulse too allow more fuel /air mixture into the cylinders. Allowing for increased pedddle response and hp's at wot. Mpg's are just a selling point and a reason too lol. btw.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 AM
clancj

Does the power wire (cold air effect) have any influence on ignition timing? if it advanced it a bit and relied on the O2 sensors to trim fuel ratios, that would'nt be a bad thing. An over rich ratio of fuel alone doesnt increase HP/torque? i would think the opposite would result.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 AM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by clancj
Does the power wire (cold air effect) have any influence on ignition timing? if it advanced it a bit and relied on the O2 sensors to trim fuel ratios, that would'nt be a bad thing. An over rich ratio of fuel alone doesnt increase HP/torque? i would think the opposite would result.
here is a link that explains exactly what happens....
http://www.airram.com/faq.php?categoryid=6

Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 AM
clancj

The bump in advance is probably what does it (the claimed non-WOT mpg gains). At WOT, who cares about mPG's, the response is what you want.
To me, the PW sounds like a reasonable mod for a stocker (as long as the claims arent too exagerated).

i have shorty headers and a magnflow SS cat back. currently do bout 15mpg average (04 hemi 1500 quad w/ tow package), thinking about superchips. would this mod be a waste of time with a tuner?
Or, is it worth doing without a tuner to see if it performs well enough for my needs?

ie: towing an enclosed car hauler with a total weight of 6500lbs and a grocery getter

Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

I learned a lot from this post haha. All the way from PCM to MPG to "so called power wire" to thermostats to of course the big one...forum love. Rocket and Hammer, its good to see two opinions on this thread. Sometimes I feel as though one person says something, so EVERYONE believes it. Thanks

Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 AM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by clancj
The bump in advance is probably what does it (the claimed non-WOT mpg gains). At WOT, who cares about mPG's, the response is what you want.
To me, the PW sounds like a reasonable mod for a stocker (as long as the claims arent too exagerated).

i have shorty headers and a magnflow SS cat back. currently do bout 15mpg average (04 hemi 1500 quad w/ tow package), thinking about superchips. would this mod be a waste of time with a tuner?
Or, is it worth doing without a tuner to see if it performs well enough for my needs?

ie: towing an enclosed car hauler with a total weight of 6500lbs and a grocery getter
A lot of the tunes tell you no towing. At least with my sc3865.But I have a superchips install and have no worries or problems. Just make sure your tuning is ok with towing. I'm on a mileage excess tune, and put the pw in it, I gotta tell ya I felt the difference. Mpg's are still in a holding pattern cuz I have yet too keep my foot out of it for long periods of time. ( I have little will power) lol
Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
I learned a lot from this post haha. All the way from PCM to MPG to "so called power wire" to thermostats to of course the big one...forum love. Rocket and Hammer, its good to see two opinions on this thread. Sometimes I feel as though one person says something, so EVERYONE believes it. Thanks
No Thank you for responding, I've been around for awhile but learn something every now and then. This is a good mod for being in colder climates, I have no doubt in that aspect.

Quick Reply: Power wire install