3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Power wire install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Power wire install

I put this litlle gem together Thanks to the likes of Weedahoe and his power wire vid.....So without any more delay......My power wire....

Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by Geezir
I don't get it?
What don't you ''get'' ?? These are a little mod that you can do yourself. It is a gimmick ,That works!! It simply fools the pcm into thinking it needs to deliver more air and fuel at wot. When in reality your boosting hp, and adding mpg's if you keep your foot out of it.

Last edited by rocket23; 03-31-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you do it

Old 03-31-2011, 03:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What it does in actuality is gives the PCM a false temperature reading, the amount is determined by what resistance is in the chip you use. The cooler the intake air, the more dense it is and the more fuel that has to be added to it for the proper A/R ratio mix. Obviously, the richer the mix, the more power your engine makes. Only real negative is because your dumping more fuel, your fuel economy suffers a little bit.

Personally I'm not a big fan of them. Not that they don't work, but rather they do the same thing that putting a cooler thermostat does. But with a cooler thermostat, your engine IS actually cooler...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge1hemi00
How do you do it
Splicing a 4.7 resistor to 14 guage wire . pm me I have a few already made........

Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocket23
It simply fools the pcm into thinking it needs to deliver more air and fuel at wot. When in reality your boosting hp, and adding mpg's if you keep your foot out of it.

LMAO, HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE???

I'm not picking on you Rocket, and you are NOT the first guy to ever make the statement that the Power Wire increases fuel economy. It can't. It can make about 5-8 RWHP at WOT, but it ain't doing nothing but burning more fuel to do it...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
What it does in actuality is gives the PCM a false temperature reading,

Personally I'm not a big fan of them. Not that they don't work, but rather they do the same thing that putting a cooler thermostat does. But with a cooler thermostat, your engine IS actually cooler...
We have to agree to disagree on the part I quoted. I can't see how a cooler running motor, will add more fuel into the system. The motor gets the same fuel whether it's running at 210 or 185 degrees. but is minimally effected unless the engine over heats. Now a cooler running motor will decrease engine compartment heat, but that alone is marginal at best. Imho.

Last edited by rocket23; 03-31-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocket23
We have to agree to disagree on the part I qutoed. I can't see how a cooler running motor, will add more fuel into the system. The motor gets the same fuel whether it's running at 210 or 185 degrees. Out but is minimally effected unless the engine over heats. Now a cooler running motor will decrease engine compartment heat, but that alone is ma Irginal at best. Imho.

No WE don't have to agree to disagree. At 185 degrees the PCM remains in open loop and is running off the MAF Functions and the Open Loop Table. Since the Open Loop Table is designed assuming the vehicle is warming up, it dumps more fuel to help the engine attain operating temperature more quickly. An engine running more than 10* cooler than stock never reaches closed loop so the PCM will not take readings from the O2 sensor to make fuel trim correction changes.

It is common knowledge that a quick fix for an engine that is running too lean is to drop a cooler thermostat in it to richen the mix...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-31-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
No WE don't have to agree to disagree. At 185 degrees the PCM remains in open loop and is running off the MAF Functions and the Open Loop Table. Since the Open Loop Table is designed assuming the vehicle is warming up, it dumps more fuel to help the engine attain operating temperature more quickly. An engine running more than 10* cooler than stock never reaches closed loop so the PCM will not take readings from the O2 sensor to make fuel trim correction changes.
You realize of course that I am of the mechanical opinion. But I stand corrected on the computor side of the motor running at 185 degrees. I truly am old school.......damn computers lol.

Quick Reply: Power wire install